Please help diagnose leaf issue

Hi all, 

Ever since I've planted my plants into there forever pot/soil I experienced what looks like a bug eating away at my leaves, in a previous thread post this was the general consensus also. I also experienced a select few leaves slightly curl...

post-62258-0-04507900-1515724823_thumb.jpg

post-62258-0-35291800-1515724684_thumb.jpg

For reference, my plants are growing in a mini greenhouse for security reasons so it can get really hot in there on 35+ degree days here in Victoria.

I have recently left my plant for about 2 weeks due to being on holiday (someone was still watering them).

I'm now wondering what do the below pictures look like? I think it is a possibility that a bug is eating away at the leaves and then due to the heat the part that is eaten dries out and shrivels the leaf up leading to an overall unhealthy leaf.

The only other problem I have seen that looks similar is PH fluctuations but after testing my PH a few times with a small kit it seems to be consistently 6.5.

post-62258-0-58040300-1515724666_thumb.jpgpost-62258-0-67757400-1515724733_thumb.jpgpost-62258-0-92974300-1515724772_thumb.jpgpost-62258-0-58040300-1515724666_thumb.jpg

The new growth all appears to be healthy and green.

My plants do seem to be getting eaten up by tiny leaf hoppers.
I'm trying to organically grow these  as much as possible so as a solution I have been using a concoction of diluted neem spray, garlic, chilli with a small ammount of tea tree oil soap but I have just started recently using this again as I have been away.

Any ideas on what it could be, just a bug or something more sinister?

Cheers.

post-62258-0-83224600-1515724709_thumb.jpg

post-62258-0-47396300-1515724995_thumb.jpg

Hi Afghan,

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I was looking at purchasing one for next grow as they're quite expensive for quality I believe. I wanted to leave this grow as minimal in terms of cost as possible. I've just been checking with a PH strips.

Sorry forgot to mention.

I'm growing outdoors with sunlight in this mini green house https://www.bunnings.com.au/naturallife-100-x-50-x-150cm-tomato-greenhouse_p3321453

If the new growth is green does this mean I should be in the clear? 

I need some advice on my next coarse of action as a fair few of the leaves are like this.

Can this ruin my grow? As it seems I've had this problem pretty much from the start and the plant is still growing strong.

Edited by AloeMist

You could put a companion plants , marigolds etc even a couple of tomato plants will help keep pests away, as far a your other problem I'm not really sure , you could check to see if there's any larvae eating roots causing deficiencies, someone else may know more ,

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

as i said,no pro

bu+ i would sugges+ a good flush wi+h proper p.h'd wa+er

+hrow s+rips in bin

u can ge+ ureself a cheap ph pen 4 around $20

much.much be++er 2 keep ure i on +hings

like micmac said if ure new grow+h is ok,

i'd s+ill give good flush wi+h h2o uve ph'd prop

looks like u've some scribblers or aphids,sos can'+ help 4 organic bu+ heaps of ppl here who can

Yeah so I think burnt margins are heat stress. If you can open that greenhouse up on super hot days. That victorian heat is a real stinger.

Bob is right on the scribbler diagnosis, (I call em leafminers, same thing I assume). Depending on how much of an infestation you have you could just let em run their course. If infested you could try Yates success which is a spinosad based product. In my experience you'll prob get leafminers every year. Cant see any aphids or aphid damage though. note success wont control aphids. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

You could put a companion plants , marigolds etc even a couple of tomato plants will help keep pests away, as far a your other problem I'm not really sure , you could check to see if there's any larvae eating roots causing deficiencies, someone else may know more ,

Thanks micmac, would be a decent idea but unfortunately not a great deal of room left in the green house... maybe a few small trays of marigolds wouldn't take up much room and would help?

If the new growth is good , your problem may well be gone hard to say

Yeah I hope so!

as i said,no pro

bu+ i would sugges+ a good flush wi+h proper p.h'd wa+er

+hrow s+rips in bin

u can ge+ ureself a cheap ph pen 4 around $20

much.much be++er 2 keep ure i on +hings

like micmac said if ure new grow+h is ok,

i'd s+ill give good flush wi+h h2o uve ph'd prop

looks like u've some scribblers or aphids,sos can'+ help 4 organic bu+ heaps of ppl here who can

That being said, I gave 2 plants to a friend, they are the exact same strain, planted same time in the same soil and they have no big brown marks on his plants and he has not been doing anything different to me (just watering, haven't given any plant feed except for a little bit of seasol every 2 weeks). Could just mean I've got some nasty bugs eating away at mine?

Really the cheap $20 ones? I've only heard bad things... Anyone have first hand experience?

And by leaf hoppers I think I meant scribblers.. my bad.

Yeah so I think burnt margins are heat stress. If you can open that greenhouse up on super hot days. That victorian heat is a real stinger.

Bob is right on the scribbler diagnosis, (I call em leafminers, same thing I assume). Depending on how much of an infestation you have you could just let em run their course. If infested you could try Yates success which is a spinosad based product. In my experience you'll prob get leafminers every year. Cant see any aphids or aphid damage though. note success wont control aphids. Good luck!

Thanks Grape, I'll be more pro active and make sure it's open on hot days.. and the scribblers don't seem to be doing major harm, just the bigger brown spots do.

Is the yates success similar to neem spray? I may need to increase the frequency of my sprays or move onto a different product like yates sucess... although I have tried not to use any chemical products yet (well my neem spray is apparently organic).

tl;dr Heat is likely to cause some of those changes but you may have more than one problem.

Some of the leaves look awfully like what thrip https://www.yates.com.au/problem-solver/problems/thrips/ will do to cannabis - adults eat the leaf from the bottom surface leaving only a thin top membrane intact, in distinct geographic patches with sharply defined edges.

See if you can find any of the little fuckers - there are thousands of different thrip but the ones I had were darkish grey and looked like something out of a scary science fiction movie, only tiny. They move fast and you need a strong (eg 20X loupe) to look under some damaged leaves.

If they're breeding it's in the soil and you will likely need:

• diatomaceous earth around the stalk to stop the larvae from climbing up the stem
  • spinosad drench to kill the larvae and
  • spinosad spray to kill any adults.

If they are there, you want to kill them because they can breed really fast and destroy plants...

Edited by doctor_nelson