Trouble getting seeds to germinate

Nah i got them from Robert Bergman at ilovegrowingmarijuana.com

I think I'm just having bad luck with the heat, its frustrating though when they keep failing

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

To a certain degree heat should be in your favor we are in Summer in Australia so any warth from just sitting in a room on a table would be plenty enough to sprout seeds if they were viable and fresh, a good way is to soak the seeds in water for 24 to 48 hours, within 48 hours u should see the seed crack open this is when u sow it i havent had the best of luck with Jiffy pellets either i think the ones i bought are absolutely shit they fall to pieces try using some rock wool cubes these are much better

• Upvote 1

yep temp & moisture & as ......... said patience , is about it 

agree keep it simple , you can paper towel , you can soak , even seen people do both 

if you want to do a lill more than just put in seed in seed raising mix , get some kelp meal 

you can steep kelp & water for 24hrs , in the resulting solution you'll have something called gibberellic acid

gibberellic acid promotes seed germination , put ya seed in the mix & water in with above solution 

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1

My favourite method is to cut 4 pieces of kitchen roll to fit in a saucer, wet the whole lot and drain off excess water. Put the seeds onto 2 layers , and put 2 layers on top of the seeds. Then put another saucer upside down on top and leave in a warm place...dont let them get hot !!

I just germed a batch of seeds that were in storage for 12 months...100% germ rate

Cheers

Jiffy #7 pucks are made of peat and that might be too acidic for cannabis seedlings to hatch - there seem to be a lot of reports of people getting low rates of success using them.

Personally, I've had much better success with the papery jiffy pots, filled with very well washed bunnings coco coir and moistened with buffered calmag 1g/L @ pH 5.8.

I bury the seeds under a few mm of moist coco after a quick (hour or so) soak in water. Spray the surface with buffer when the pots feel light - seedlings can drown if the coco is too wet I hear.

Currently have 2 out of 2 breaking the top of the coco within 3 days of planting with seeds from Yantra supplied breeder packs.

I've stopped trying to pop them in water or paper towels before transplanting them - that's not how it happens in the wild where the developing embryo must be able to figure out which way is up so the roots go down and the cotyledon goes up toward the light - popping them in water or paper towel means their orientation will be changed when they are dropped into the growing medium. That could confuse the poor little darlings at their most vulnerable, so I reckon they're going to be happier left in one orientation until they're growing well rather than being jiggled about.

Edited by doctor_nelson
  • Upvote 1

That makes sense about their happiness i think. Ill try this. Unfortunately i have failed just about everything ive tried except the paper towel method ive got 3 out of 3 for that way. I have had to help them along a fair bit though im considering the possibility it may be the seeds but I'm going to keep trying. Thanks heaps

Jiffy #7 pucks are made of peat and that might be too acidic for cannabis seedlings to hatch - there seem to be a lot of reports of people getting low rates of success using them.

Personally, I've had much better success with the papery jiffy pots, filled with very well washed bunnings coco coir and moistened with buffered calmag 1g/L @ pH 5.8.

I bury the seeds under a few mm of moist coco after a quick (hour or so) soak in water. Spray the surface with buffer when the pots feel light - seedlings can drown if the coco is too wet I hear.

Currently have 2 out of 2 breaking the top of the coco within 3 days of planting with seeds from Yantra supplied breeder packs.

I've stopped trying to pop them in water or paper towels before transplanting them - that's not how it happens in the wild where the developing embryo must be able to figure out which way is up so the roots go down and the cotyledon goes up toward the light - popping them in water or paper towel means their orientation will be changed when they are dropped into the growing medium. That could confuse the poor little darlings at their most vulnerable, so I reckon they're going to be happier left in one orientation until they're growing well rather than being jiggled about.

Hey doctor_nelson:

Just wondering if you have used yantra seeds before this grow ,just purchased some chew dawg off him and they just seem to cheap to be the real deal ?

Any feedback would be appreciated cheers .