Noob outdoor pot plant grow help

Hi all, currently under way with my first grow with a few CBD Hash feminized. They are currently growing in pots in a cold frame.
Most things are going well but a few things have gone astray which I have a few questions about.

1).I transplanted a seedling when it was tiny and had it's first set of true leaves. The seed was raised in seed raising mix originally, I then transplanted it into a bigger pot with some bunnings potting soil meant for tomatoes & vegies. The plant did not take well to the soil and did not grow at all. It just very slowly started yellowing from the bottom up and one of the leaves ended up looking twisted (please refer to picture 1 attached). What could be the cause of this? I noticed the soil I planted in had a lot of wood chips in it as you can see in the picture... Does not look like an airy/light soil as i'm told soil should be for cannabis 

post-62258-0-20199000-1512636850_thumb.jpg

Could the soil be to heavy for a plant, especially such a young plant? Or could it be in relation to the plant being exposed to fertilizer/nutrients to early on ie, I should of waited longer to transplant?

I also transplanted another plant in the same soil but this time I made a decent portion of the soil seed starting mix then more towards the bottom or 2/3 of the pot, I potted the fertilized potting soil so the plant can grow into. That plant is definitely doing better but it is starting to show early signs of the slight yellowing the plant in the picture has.

It can't be a lack of nutrients can it? All my other plants have been growing happily in seed starting mix which I'm told don't hold to many nutrients and they have all done much better than the plants I've potted into the tomatoe potting mix.

If I was to do it all again, I would've planted in seed starting mix and waited for the plant to be about the same size as the second, then transplanted it into a bigger container with 50/50 organic potting soil and perlite. Would that have been the correct move?

To note, I have not been fertilizing, only some a small amount of seasol every 2 weeks or so.

2) In picture 2 here, I have my largest plant, If you can see the picture is this early signs of iron deficiency? Maybe it can't be seen so well in the pic but in natural light the top leaves seem have a darker green in the veins. Thoughts?

post-62258-0-13747600-1512636879_thumb.jpg

3) They have not really been exposed to any direct like as they've been in a cold frame for their life. Would it be wise to harden them off slowly and open the door of the cold frame to get some direct light in there?

The cold frame was to hide the plants from neighbors and it will still do that if the doors open. Would this be better for growth?

I always have so many questions relating to the process and am trying to learn as much as I can so my future grows can be of better quality so any help provided is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

" waited for the plant to be about the same size as the second, then transplanted it into a bigger container " , correct 

a plants root system in the ground will grow out as far , if not a lill more , as the leaf tips reach , to give you an idea of size above & what 

might be happening in the pot 

i try & let the plant grow enough roots to hold on to the soil in the pot while i transplant , some like to transplant sooner than that 

talk about your watering , do you go by days , by pot weight , push ya finger in the soil , moisture meter

how do you decide a plant needs a drink 

not a fan of most of bunnings bagged soil but keep in mind the major brands & prob all brands 

formulate there soilless mixes , ( yep there mostly soilless mixes ) , generally they don't need any extra air , doesn't mean you can't add it

just the mix would've been designed with enough air to begin with , still wouldn't buy it though :)

there are a few living soil places in oz you can buy allot better soil than bunnings , you do pay a premium for that though

you can always mix your own , a base soil is as simple as 3 parts , peat moss , air & compost , castings or 50/50 of both 

allot of this info will be found at those living soil places in oz , where you can buy nutrient mixes to add to your base mix 

is this cold frame a box with glass or perspex over the top  , sorry not sure what that is

as much direct sun for plants as poss outdoors but prob not while under glass depending on the distance
between the glass & canopy

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah that makes sense that the plants are still to immature to be planted into large containers.
However I got the idea from a video of someone who did it in there grow on youtube. They probably had better quality soil though.

In terms of watering I wait til the top inch is dry and then I water the container fully til it's heavy.

Yeah I'm not a fan either right no, just seems poor quality.

The cold frame is pictured here: https://www.bunnings.com.au/naturallife-100-x-50-x-150cm-tomato-greenhouse_p3321453

Still get a fair amount of sun light although it is not as potent as direct sun. I feel like during the heatwave we had not long ago my plants would've been scorched in direct sun.

I have another plant that I transplanted into the bunnings soil but I waited til it was bigger to do that. It is showing very SLIGHT signs of yellowing like the small plant is.
Should I transplant it back into a smaller container with seed starting mix (cos it's the only thing that I know my plants have thrived in without fail) and wait til it's more mature before I pot it into fertilized soil or will all this transplanting be stressing my plants.

I havn't been feeding the plants at all yet, just some sprays of seasol every week and half/two weeks.

Do you know when I should adding nutrients to already fertilized soil?
The soil says it can feed for 3 months but my tomatoes started showing signs of nitrogen deficiency much earlier in that soil.

first person i saw say " i don't want the plant to know what size container there in " was subcool 

that would be transplanting earlier than i was suggesting B4 , & yeah he was using a good soil mix 

i would go by weight of the pot , water the plant in & feel the weight of the pot once drained  

you want to water again when it's about 50% of it's starting weight 

ahhh ok it's a greenhouse , plants will be fine in there , poss run out of room by the end depending on strains 

open door would be for air movement , greenhouse can trap humidity especially at night , good air movement 

can help in higher humidity 

no don't transplant back leave where she is , yeah good time for a feed 

some fish hydrolysate or fish amino's would be good organic charlie carp or eco aminogro 

Aloe do you have a Aloe :)

add 15ml of inner gel per liter to the next watering 

no aloe use your seasol with the fish 

lots of variables on how long a bag of soil will feed a plant 

forget about The Soil feeding the plant & think more about microbes feeding your plant 

although you do need both , i would reinoculate the plant / pot B4 trying to feed nutrients 

90% of what a plant takes up is directly related to the soil life , consuming nutes in the soil 

& each other 

first person i saw say " i don't want the plant to know what size container there in " was subcool 

that would be transplanting earlier than i was suggesting B4 , & yeah he was using a good soil mix 

i would go by weight of the pot , water the plant in & feel the weight of the pot once drained  

you want to water again when it's about 50% of it's starting weight 

ahhh ok it's a greenhouse , plants will be fine in there , poss run out of room by the end depending on strains 

open door would be for air movement , greenhouse can trap humidity especially at night , good air movement 

can help in higher humidity 

no don't transplant back leave where she is , yeah good time for a feed 

some fish hydrolysate or fish amino's would be good organic charlie carp or eco aminogro 

Aloe do you have a Aloe :)

add 15ml of inner gel per liter to the next watering 

no aloe use your seasol with the fish 

lots of variables on how long a bag of soil will feed a plant 

forget about The Soil feeding the plant & think more about microbes feeding your plant 

although you do need both , i would reinoculate the plant / pot B4 trying to feed nutrients 

90% of what a plant takes up is directly related to the soil life , consuming nutes in the soil 

& each other 

Thanks for your help mate. All very useful advice. 

Unfortunately I don't have aloe vera, my name dissapoints lol.

That tiny plant in the big pot would prob do better with a circle of water around the base rather than saturating the whole pot I reckon

Thanks buds, I've actually given up on that plant unfortunately. Removed it to make room for another plant. 

I think it was long gong (looked a lot worse in person).

Noted for next time though.

Seems I have another issue...

I had 2 plants that needed transplanting and purchased some good quality potting mix from a respected nursery. I transplanted the plants yesterday and they are both on a few bottom leaves, drying up and curling upwards. Most leaves look healthy just a select few.

They are also showing some pattern of where it looks like chunks of the leaves are missing. I have been having a leaf hopper problem but these do not look the same. Could it be from the transplanting?

I've tried to research what the cause could be and I think it could be nutrient burn? 

The plants have not been brought up in high nutrient content soil so potentially it is a shock when they are transplanted into these higher nutrient soils?

Am I correct in my guess and if so would I need to flush the plants?

post-62258-0-20400800-1513066437_thumb.jpg

post-62258-0-36134700-1513066526_thumb.jpg

post-62258-0-64641300-1513066629_thumb.jpg

i'm going to say a lill transplant damage , water got on the leaves & so did the sun maybe 

you have white fly , congrats , me too 

just leave her be & next time you transplant , wait till she needs a drink so you don't over water 

if you do transplant & the root ball is wet , only water round the edge of the new pot's soil 

i'd personally rather see those leaves pointing up to the sky not down to the soil ,

although you have just transplanted , might have something to do with it 

find some aloe it's well worth it 

don't over water 

it's easier to have a plant come back from under watering than over watering , with in reason of cause & both do root damage 

over watering can mean root rot which kills plants , dryness kills plants too but if you get to them in time they generally pop back pretty well  

i'm going to say a lill transplant damage , water got on the leaves & so did the sun maybe 

you have white fly , congrats , me too 

just leave her be & next time you transplant , wait till she needs a drink so you don't over water 

if you do transplant & the root ball is wet , only water round the edge of the new pot's soil 

i'd personally rather see those leaves pointing up to the sky not down to the soil ,

although you have just transplanted , might have something to do with it 

find some aloe it's well worth it 

don't over water 

it's easier to have a plant come back from under watering than over watering , with in reason of cause & both do root damage 

over watering can mean root rot which kills plants , dryness kills plants too but if you get to them in time they generally pop back pretty well  

Yeah could just be. I did give them a good water yesterday and since they where started in seed starting mix which I think retains a lot of moisture, might've been to much water for the roots.

What is the benefit of mixing aloe with water?

Btw here's a better picture of the strange chunks missing from the leaf. They weren't there yesterday.

post-62258-0-22234100-1513078357_thumb.jpg

post-62258-0-26146500-1513078393_thumb.jpg

do a google search describing what you see then hit images 

looks like the surface of the leaf has been eaten 

is that what you see 

a quick search showed a beetle that did similar damage 

what bugs do you see round 

you can buy aloe vera powder here http://www.aloeverafertilizer.com/aloe-vera-raw-material.html 

there are many other benefits than just these 2 , bloom booster would be one

Aloe has two main properties that we are interested in for growing plants. 

#1 Salycilic Acid: Makes this dry powder excellent for cloning! Willow root isn't even as good. Aloe vera contains Salicylic acid which is an aspirin-like compound with anti -inflammatory, analgesic, and anti-bacterial properties.  

#2 Saponins: Another constituent of Aloe vera includes saponins.  These are soapy substances from the gel that is capable of cleansing and having antiseptic properties. The saponins perform strongly as anti-microbial against bacteria, viruses, fungi, and yeasts.