Best LED light for cupboard

I use a mars 2 700 and it is a great light. Great results and hasn't missed a beat in 2 years. However there are much better lights out there and things have come a long way. Also in such a small space you would need a much smaller light.  I would advise you to do a fair bit of research. LED's last years and you really want to get the best you can now. In 2 years there might be much better options.  Mars have a new CREE COB light which might be worth a look and only 100 watt. CREE COBS CBX3590's were the bees knees a couple of years ago. Mars are relatively cheap and they make pretty good lights. Have a warehouse here so quicker to ship. 

You have a pretty small space? 1.5 tall? LED's cant be put too close to plants so you have to allow for space between the light and your canopy. How big a pot do you plan to use? How much grow space have you got left?

How much do you want to spend? Plenty of options if you have money and patience.

Are you a DIY person? There are a lot of options if you want to go down that route. Look up Growmau5. 

Edited by freddie

Found this might help explain the difference

Home › Blog › Cultivation › Your Opinion: HPS lights vs LED lights

by Scarlet Palmer on 20/07/2016 | Cultivation Opinion

Your Opinion: HPS lights vs LED lights

HPS VS LED

HPS lights vs LED lights: the question is one that every indoor cannabis grower has considered, and usually more than once! To shed some light on this sometimes difficult decision, we’ve collected various comments and conducted a Twitter poll. And what is your opinion? Tell us in the comments.

Your Opinion HPS vs LED

Our series on “Your Opinion” continues with a look at the views on HPS (High Pressure Sodium) lights versus Light Emitting Diode (LED) lights. The debate on which lighting system will produce better results can be found on virtually every cannabis forum. It is also not a clear-cut yes or no answer, as many growers use different systems – including combining the two types of lighting – at different stages of the cultivation process.

The question of HPS lights vs LED lights can also be affected by what continent you are living on. In Europe, electricity is more expensive than in the US. This tends to lead to gardeners in the US growing under 1000 watt bulbs, whereas their European counterparts lean towards 600 or even 400 watt bulbs.

Our expert author Seshata has written this well-researched, in-depth look at the various different lighting systems for cannabis cultivation, for those interested in learning more about their options.

As well as collating comments from various forums around the internet, we took a quick Twitter poll for some up-to-the-minute feedback on your opinion on HPS vs LED, and also asked about the reasons for your answers and what could influence your choices. The results can be seen in this handy infographic, and read in full below.

The results of our Twitter poll: HPS vs LED

Infographic of the results of our Twitter poll Infographic of the results of our Twitter poll

1.Have you ever grown using LED lights?

yes – 36%

no – 39%

no, but I would – 21%

no, and I wouldn’t – 4%

2. Have you ever grown using HPS lights?

yes – 73%

no – 18%

no, but I would – 5%

no, and I wouldn’t – 4%

3. Have you ever grown using a combination of LED and HPS?

yes – 11%

no – 74%

no, but I would – 11%

No, and I wouldn’t – 4%

4. Were you satisfied with the results from LED?

yes, very – 43%

yes – 21%

yes, but could have been better – 21%

no – 15%

5. Were you satisfied with the results from HPS?

yes, very – 32%

yes – 32%

yes, but could have been better – 21%

no – 15%

6. If you were going to buy a new lighting system, what factor is most important to you?

yield – 40%

cost – 20%

electricity usage – 25%

other – 15%

7. If you were going to buy a new lighting system, what factor is least important to you?

yield – 22%

cost – 11%

electricity usage – 50%

other – 17%

8. If LED cost the same as HPS, would you choose LED?

yes – 68%

no – 23%

don’t know – 9%

Comment from Henry on Plantozoid.com (x):

“Quality LEDs will outperform HPS, I agree. But they get a bad reputation, because there are so many low quality lights out there that don’t perform as advertised. Also, there’s a bit of a learning curve when switching to LED. I think a lot of growers don’t get the results they expected on their first grow with LED and quickly decide LEDs don’t work.”

Comment from Mark on Plantozoid.com (x):

“Because HPS produces high-energy photons with a smaller wavelength which means plants see the photons as being smaller and they tunnel down into the matter further, meaning more energy is captured. LED produces low-energy photons with a larger wavelength so that the photons are perceived as bigger to the plant, and less energy is captured. This is proven again and again in tests.

Using the LED during vegging produces higher Calyx to Leaf ratios and also reduces node spacing so we produce short squat plants perfect form Fimming or the Screen of Green method. But for flowering, that 1000w HPS will ALWAYS be better than any LED now or in the future!!!! PERIOD. Also.. if you are using CO2 injection with LED’s you may as well stop. Your plants can benefit from up to 1300 ppm CO2 ONLY if the light is very bright AND if it is very hot.

Think for a second about heat… what is it? Infrared radiation. Which is what? Infrared photons. So heat produced by those HPS lights is seen by the plant as a massive flood of photons in Infrared spectrum! The plant wants to capture all of those extra photons but needs CO2 to help with that part of the ATP cycle. You can’t get that extra yield with LED’s. Just turn your CO2 off because it is making no difference or switch to HPS for your flowering cycle if it’s feasible.”

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

I hope this doesn't become a LED vs HPS debate because it's supposed to be about the best Led for a particular space. 

I have to say though that my Mars 700 which should effectively use approx 350 watts replaced my 400 watt HPS. Not only replaced it but produces slightly more, better quality, and I can now grow my beloved sativa's indoors as it has significantly reduced the internode length. Less temperature issues. Way better penetration, surprisingly. Not going back to HPS in a hurry.

In Australia, Winter = HPS, Summer = LED, There is no point running LED in winter because u need to compensate for the loss of heat if you slow down your fan u compromise your harvest both in lack of air exchange and co2 replenish, if u add a heater than there goes the whole LED concept

for that guy on the last page i kick ass with HPS, LED is yet to show me any decent results, now if i was just getting into the business and say it was Winter and i bought a LED i would have lost all interest from the beginning...

micmac i believe the good growers don't waste there time on those votes you can find all there useful information in there grow threads across the internet tho, lots of good LED growers on AFN they seem to know there stuff interesting reading it but i get lost in all there jargon its like someone with a PHD talking there language to a apprentice lol

Led are only efficient because they are bright however 150watts or Led is still a 150watts of heat if u run 400watts of true power from the wall it puts off the same BTU's as a 400 HPS it is energy being burnt off creating heat... the way LED's work is u don't need to match 400w HPS to 400w LED with good reflection in a tent about 250w of Led will be about as good as 400w HPS but u need tp up your game with Led's it can turn out ok,good, or marvelous where as HPS u can bang anything out and it will turn out better than Led

Ok Gazza,  would really like to see a pound of a 250w led, any brand will do, any reflector 

as far as i can see they are disco lights for the gullible, and that's about it

No serious grower would waste their time on them. in a few years maybe with some better tech they might get close to HPS

Only my opinion and i'm just a silly old tnuc living in the past, lol

• Upvote 1

Sorry but no you can't just bang anything out with a hps and it be better than led :/ if anything a hps setup is more complicated and more prone to problems than an led

Bullshit, how complicated is hanging a light, its what you do under the light that makes all the difference, if you don't get that right, it don't matter what light you run, the results will be shithouse

• Upvote 3