Sampling during grow.

To be fair if I had ever grown a bud worthy of being dried properly then I'd probably also have some reservations about quick drying with microwave.

But here's the thing. I have seen this in at least one other book for beginners and the Cervantes book is also for beginners.

I think that must be taken into account. Think about the person who's growing for the first time; the befinner. To wait 12+ weeks ie. 2-4 weeks of veg and 8-10 flower or slightly more etc and then another 2-8 weeks of dry/cure before getting a single bit of reward is somewhat unreasonable. And that's assuming they can successfully get to the end. The attrition rate I would guess is high.

The ability to sample throughout the grow is imo something that these books include for the beginner. Anyone on subsequent grows is already holding a stash that means they don't have to dip into the current grow.

But it's just a sample. The way it was discussed last night made it seem like someone was breaking the ten commandments.

Anyhow, if I have upset anyone in the process of the thread - it was unintended and I apologise if anyone has found it troubling.

Keep it real, keep on growing.

• Upvote 1

Just wanted to add this. Thank you to @Ford Fairlane for the resource page posted above. A real treasure trove. Franks book which I read in the 80s is there and the revised version from 1992 has this to say about potency of plant parts and THC content.

Here are the potencies, in descending order, of the various plant parts:

1. Female flowering clusters. In practice you don't separate hundreds of tiny bracts to make a joint. The whole flowering mass (seeds removed), along with small accompanying leaves, forms the material.

2. Male flower clusters. These vary more in relative potency depending on the strain (see “Potency by Sex,” below).

3. Growing shoots. Before the plants flower, the vegetative shoots (tips) of the main stem and branches are the most potent plant parts.

4. Leaves (a) that accompany flowers (small); (B) along branches (medium); © along main stem (large). Generally, the smaller the leaf is, the more potent it can be.

5. Petioles (leaf stalks). Same order as leaves.

6. Stems. Same order as leaves. The smaller the stem (twig), the higher the possible concentration of cannabinoids. Stems over 1/16” in diameter contain only traces of cannabinoids and are not worth smoking. The small stems that bear the flowers can be quite potent.

7. Seeds and Roots. Contain only traces (less then .01 percent) and are not worth smoking or extracting.

The concentration of cannabinoids changes with the general metabolic rate of the plant, and can be related to the plant's growth pattern or life cycle. Figure 30 shows a hypothetical curve following the concentration of THC from the upper leaves and growing tips of a male and female plant.

Notice that THC increases immediately with germination and establishment of the seedling, and continues to rise until the plant enters its vegetative stage. At this point, the plant is well-formed, with a sturdy stem, and no longer looks fragile. As the plant's rate of growth increases, there is a corresponding rise in THC that continues throughout the vegetative stage until a plateau is reached.

And finally......

You may feel that you should only pick marijuana when the plants are in full bloom, but this is not the case. Think of the garden as a continuous supply of grass. You can never be sure of the fate of your plants. The biggest problem with outdoor growing is that there is a good chance that the plants will be ripped off before you plan to harvest. It is much better to harvest grass during the course of a season, assuring yourself a return for your efforts. For example, during the third month of growth, you could cut back the growing tips, which should be quite potent, often more potent than Figure 30 suggests. This doesn't mean there will be less to harvest at season's end. In fact, the plant will be forced to develop its branches, possible yielding a larger plant.

Common sense tells you that it is always best to test one sample before you harvest. By taking one tip, curing and smoking, you'll know whether it's worthwhile to harvest more at that time or to wait longer. When a tip is about equal to its parents' potency, then definitely harvest more growing tips. This peak high often occurs during the middle to late rapid, vegetative-growth stage.

Just like I remember reading so long ago.

Cheers.

Changes in the plant's development, such as phyllotaxy and growth rate, are cues to changes in THC concentration. Secondly, the growing tips of the main stem and branches can be very potent. Growers do not have to wait until flowers form to harvest top-quality smoke.

http://catnews.org/FREE%20Pot%20Books/Mel%20Frank%20-%20The%20Marijuana%20Growers%20Guide%20(rev%201992).pdf

Anyone who denies that leaves and growing shoots can get someone high is lying or hasn't tried it.

So please don't jump on the irrelevancies and petty things. Just stick to the topic and we can all learn something.

• Upvote 1

Changes in the plant's development, such as phyllotaxy and growth rate, are cues to changes in THC concentration. Secondly, the growing tips of the main stem and branches can be very potent. Growers do not have to wait until flowers form to harvest top-quality smoke.

http://catnews.org/FREE%20Pot%20Books/Mel%20Frank%20-%20The%20Marijuana%20Growers%20Guide%20(rev%201992).pdf

Anyone who denies that leaves and growing shoots can get someone high is lying or hasn't tried it.

So please don't jump on the irrelevancies and petty things. Just stick to the topic and we can all learn something.

Are they Jorge's mates lol,

what page am i looking for eyes?

Eyes , I have never read a book about growing weed,yes I have read on the web recently but really only to get the basics of indoors

If you wanted to know that sort of stuff like u just pasted all u had to do was ask

Didn't need to read to know about the development of the plant most growers work that out on the natural learning curve when tending and looking after there crop

If you are the master grower of all plants why u would need to cut n paste this , surely you could have told us of your experience and what you have found?

You wouldn't need a book to quote , experience would had already told u what does n doesn't work

My books were experienced growers much older than I that taught how to make up a nice soil , what it needs through various stages of its cycles

From that I have put my own twist to a few things , some have worked, others neeeded more work

I suppose what I'm really trying to say to you is that most older members just know all this stuff , don't know how but they just do

You are debating about things you read in a book so how can your argument be valid?

We are trying to tell u what happens in the real world

If i have any suggestions for u it is that you stick to topics that u can relate real experience to, not something some other person put in book 37 yrs ago,

Concentrate on that little plant of yours , learn as much as u can n show us what you can do

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

• Upvote 1

I've only got one suggestion after reading some of that #$%^*

Don't bother, they are flogs who will lead you down some weird hippy path, on a road to nowhere fast

Most of them old books were garbage, written by blokes without a  fucking clue when it comes to growing pot properly

Never trust a hippy, lol

Edited by pedro de pacas
  • Upvote 1

Use to use this method, until I got my Extreme Q. Nowaday just mull up the wet bud, vape it until a light tan colour, then smoke the remainder. That way you get to sample it with the two methods, and the double hit you get by doing that way.

Gave up the microwave method years ago. Gives me goosebumps now just thinking about how it use to taste.. :bleh:

Bush method was quite often done with a car that had been running recently. Usually find a warm spot around the exhaust manifold or radiator, watch and rotate so not to burn. :good:

That’s sort of how I do it too. I only vape, not smoke. With wet bud, I start at 150c then slowly but surely up by 10 degrees every min or so up to 210 as my max.

I read an interesting article where it documented which chems are released at the different boiling points (?) depending on what affect you are after. So I figure doing it my way I slowly get them all :)

Found it - worth a read (for me anyway)

https://www.zamnesia.com/content/284-vaporizer-temperatures-for-cannabis

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app