True origins of strains thread.

Clone only plants can be hybridized by outcrossing with unrelated genetics.  Whereas Sterile plants cannot.  I keep several sterile females in my library of genetics...not to be confused with clone only as I have male & female stock of the same genetics.  

@Mongyman ~ That's not the proper definition of "Clone Only"...You're just talking about sterile females which is not defined as Clone Only.

Clone Only is defined simply as a cutting/clone where there is no opposite sex partner of the same hybrid/genetic in seed or clone form.

@doctor_nelson Only hybrids in regular seeds for sure.  I wasn't even thinking about feminized seeds..and you're right, as those are an excellent option for when a matching male can't be found.  And at least a couple companies have made TrainWreck S1's/feminized seeds over the years.  Curious though, why do you consider silver horrible?

That's also my understanding of the definition of "clone only" - fertility is a whole other conversation.

Clone only like Kromes famous "the white" has made itself famous both in pure and hybrid form. Wifi white x fire ogto be a perfect example of one of the famous hybrids made with the white cut. OG raskal got his hands on the cut and reversed and made Backcross pure white seeds which by the way are unspeakably awesome! Can I have some bud with my frost?? lol

So yeah the famous train wreck cut was not sterile, it just did not have the equivalent in a male counterpart of the same cultivar for reproduction.

It has now been backed and Co.s like Humboldt finest etc have a decent example of the orig from what I understand.

• Upvote 1

I keep several sterile females in my library of genetics...not to be confused with clone only as I have male & female stock of the same genetics. 

And the only way you can propagate those plants is by cloning making  them 'clone only' strains.You can't make seeds from a 'clone only' strain it can only be propagated by cloning. You can have male or female clones of those strains but why would you want to grow sterile male plants?

Not to be confused with 'female only' strains which are strains that don't have the equivalent in a male counterpart of the same cultivar for reproduction but you can backcross or hybridize to make seed from.

That's also my understanding of the definition of "clone only" - fertility is a whole other conversation.

Clone only like Kromes famous "the white" has made itself famous both in pure and hybrid form. Wifi white x fire ogto be a perfect example of one of the famous hybrids made with the white cut. OG raskal got his hands on the cut and reversed and made Backcross pure white seeds which by the way are unspeakably awesome! Can I have some bud with my frost?? lol

So yeah the famous train wreck cut was not sterile, it just did not have the equivalent in a male counterpart of the same cultivar for reproduction.

It has now been backed and Co.s like Humboldt finest etc have a decent example of the orig from what I understand.

Yea a lot of seed sellers have used the term 'clone only' incorrectly to sell backcrossed or hybridized seeds made from 'female only' strains like those you listed for eg. because it is easier to sell seeds than sterile clones and tagging seeds as 'clone only' sells the seeds. In reality all these strains are either backcrossed or hybridized selected clones from 'female only' strains. You can't make seeds from sterile 'clone only' strains.

:peace: MongyMan

I'm really digging the Grinspoon story. I read about his activism in a book (where else right) and you can probably tell by the way I write that I'm a pretty bookish type of person, a thinker and the sativa high is definitely what I prefer.

I saw a pic of a cross of it here and I was instantly taken by it. It was quite literally speaking to me. So I'm pretty convinced it's what I want.

The other one that intrigues me is the Laughing Buddha that Barney's has. If there's anything I absolutely love about this wonderful plant is the rip roaring laughter that flows when you have this with close like minded friends.

Thank you for the heads up.

just a heads up ... tried some Laughing Buddha from one of Barney's coffee houses a fair few years back, thinking exactly the same as you ... love a good belly laugh ... didn't find the effect even close to laughing - found it quite foggy and heavy in the head. ended up going with a nice kali mist for a good laugh instead - did the trick well.:)