True origins of strains thread.

Have another look, its the same strain, it even says on Barneys description, except barneys says pure sativa, Reeferman says 90/10 sat/indica

Thanks - It seems we are working with imperfect information based on those sat/ind ratio differences!

Dr Grinspoon is really wierd looking with airy little buds but a great sativa buzz but I've never seen or tasted senor garcia - does it have the same strange runs of calyces?

Landrace sativas can be problematic in my limited experience because some tend to routinely turn hermaphrodite late in flower (e.g. genuine thai landraces) and they seem to have far more genetic variability and so individual seeds throw a very wide variety of phenotypes when compared to modern hybrids that have been stabilised by back crossing so every seed produces pretty much the same phenotype - there's limited genetic variability compared to the landraces. I guess that's why most growers prefer predictable stable hybrids?

I like pure sativas so I just have to suck it up - currently flowering clones from two swazi gold seeds in identical hempy pots with the same light and automated watering - one is much bushier and compact than the other - can't wait to see which has the better mature bud.

IDK I have several landrace Sativa strains from Various locations and local Haze Sativa IBL's dating back to the 60's and 70's. Also been using Dutch, American, UK and Canadian hybrid genetics. These have been crossed into some of the sativa IBL's and landraces. Pitty there wasn't a seed swap meet. ;-) I keep things pure but hybridizing is a lot of fun as well. That's how you tailor the high. :-) Happy growing.

• Upvote 1

I think now that hemp as food has been legalised in Australia the doors may open to seed collections here.

Not sure if hemp food specifies non-viability of seed as that would be horrendously difficult and unnecessary. Afterall you can grow Tasmania's finest poppies by buying them at the supermarket.

Pretty certain that hemp as food will mean seeds are legal, it should.

From a legal perspective, Hemp seeds cannot be viable when sold as food.

Regarding licenced medical cannabis growers, the seeds must be from a legal source ie, from companies like Bedrocan. Seeds from legal seedbanks that we all know and love are not considered legal under the current ODC rules as they apparently originate from an illegal source. That is my take on it anyway.

• Upvote 2