Help! Seed thief

Plastic 2 litre coke bottle or pet bottle or milk bottle with the bottom cut off place over a 140mm pot ...mini greenhouse and it stops all thise issues.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Plastic 2 litre coke bottle or pet bottle or milk bottle with the bottom cut off place over a 140mm pot ...mini greenhouse and it stops all those issues.

I don't know if this bit of advice is useful to you, Cantgrow. For quite a few years now, I germinate the seeds in a glass of water placed up top of a fridge where it's kept warm with the heat radiating off the back of the fridge until the seeds have cracked, and have a tap root about a 1-2cm long. Then I plant those that cracked into a foam tomato box 3/4's full with your favoured potting mix, wet it down, then with a pencil make holes in the potting mix to a depth of up to 3cm, and place one germinated seed in each hole, then gently cover over and water again.

Once that process is done, I have a ready made mesh screen made out of chicken wire and slide that over the top of the tomato box. I'll get a better picture of it tomorrow if I get the time. Anyway, see pic below..

gallery_10745_1708_91193.jpg

The top of the mesh is about 15cm above the top of the foam tomato box so they got ample room to grow. I can raise the seedling in this setup for about a month until they need to be potted up or planted out.

The reason I do it this way is for two reasons. Firstly, it came about after having a single grasshopper destroy 20 odd seedlings in a space of a couple of hours one day. I had to come up with something as you could imagine a event like that can really mess with you growing schedule. And Secondly, I find having this amount of potting mix helps retain moisture longer than what small singular pots do. With this method, I only have to water once every 4 to 7 days depending on how quick it dries out.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it as it may help sort your rodent problem that messing with your grow. :)