Some trouble getting started (first time)

Hello,

This is my first attempt at seedlings, and I've been running into some trouble.

My first batch I started with was with 4 regular seed and 1 auto. The first thing I did was leave them in a glass of water for up to 18 hours, then once they sunk I drained them into moist paper towels and left them until they sprouted their taproot. After a few days, only the the auto made significant progress (about an inch long taproot) while the others were around half a cm or so. I moved all the seeds into a seedling tray with seedling soil mix, then left them in a dark, high humidity location.

After a few days, only the auto sprouted from the soil but the rest did not. But even so, the auto didn't look so healthy.. 

What I suspect is that maybe I did 1 or 2 thing; I feel maybe I kept the humid environments during both germination stages and sprouting stages either too wet, or too warm (and cooked them). During germination I had left the paper towels on a heating mat and without realizing it, the paper towels got completely dried out, and so I had to re apply water on a few occasions. I feel like maybe I drowned the seeds with so much of that water, or that I fried the germs inside with all that heat? Really. I do not know what went wrong.

So after this I made a second attempt. Again, another 5 seeds (1 auto, 4 regular). But I aimed this time to not spend so much time in germination as I was worried I would fuck it up again. So I only left in paper towel for a day or two, and with first signs of taproot on the seeds I put them in the soil.

After some days keeping the 5 seeds in soil in a dark humid place, only 1 seedling emerged. And this one seems to be growing strong. A second one has sprouted some days later, but doesn't look as strong and so I'm not sure if it will make it..

And so I am hoping for some advice. That is 10 seeds I have used and only had 1 success, maybe 2 if I'm lucky with the other one. I keep them in a warm 25 celcius environment with plenty of light and I mist with Ph 6 (bottled water) several times a day. And I keep the soil moist (but not like a puddle). Am I fucking up at the germination stage? Or did I get 9 shit seeds and 1 good one? 

post-61970-0-16011900-1507516274_thumb.jpg

post-61970-0-70411300-1507516279_thumb.jpg

post-61970-0-92630500-1507516284_thumb.jpg

Thank you Sooty. 

As you can see I am having great success with this soil, humidity, and lights with my other plants and in similar conditions. These are tomato's and raddish I started around the same time. So a bit of a head scratcher for me. But you could be right and I gave them too much water. I spray them too much I reckon (and soil always too moist maybe)

post-61970-0-31737900-1507517995_thumb.jpg

post-61970-0-24406100-1507518000_thumb.jpg

Edited by Teddybones

f18ee0606c06efd0b7a7e3931e64fdac.jpg

Mate I am lazy , all I do is put perlite and coco in jiffy cup, put the seed in and water

Keep the lid on and vents closed put some water under tray in tub and spray the underside of some with water and put lid back on

These have not been watered for a few days and as u can see they haven't dried out and it's been hot here

Other ppl take more care because seeds aren't cheap but this method works very good for 90% success

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Mate I am lazy , all I do is put perlite and coco in jiffy cup, put the seed in and water

Keep the lid on and vents closed put some water under tray in tub and spray the underside of some with water and put lid back on

These have not been watered for a few days and as u can see they haven't dried out and it's been hot here

Other ppl take more care because seeds aren't cheap but this method works very good for 90% success

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Cheers, trying this now. I mixed coco with perlite and placed in 2 seeds about a cm deep. Put them inside my humidity box, high humidity moisture. We will see if this works out. Thanks.

Simultaneously I have 3 other seeds in wet paper towers but without heating pad, kept in a dark closet. So we will see which method works out the best here.

Edited by Teddybones

Is there any kind of general advice when it comes to watering the seedling. Such as how much moisture in the soil is too much, or is misting with a spray bottle even required? Feel like maybe I gave the plants too much care with the water and moisture.

Edited by Teddybones

Is there any kind of general advice when it comes to watering the seedling. Such as how much moisture in the soil is too much, or is misting with a spray bottle even required? Feel like maybe I gave the plants too much care with the water and moisture.

less is more in the beginning ted. plenty of cases of loving the plant to death. maybe let the medium dry out more b4 next water an see, did u say what size pots u got em in?
  • Upvote 1