What could this be?

If your going to spray with either of the first two pics or something similar make yo u spray when lights are out or just before lights out i also like to give my plants a drink of water before spraying not on the foliage but at the base of the plant,then spray.if you go with the last pic which is diatomaceous earth then give your plants a light spray with water all over before dusting.make sure you read all the instructions clearly before using any mitacide/insecticides and good luck with it,there are others that can knock this problem on the head very fast but there not organic so when going organic the key is to keep up a regular routine of applying the product to keep them at bay,cheers

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

What's the best thing to combat gnats?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

avoid getting them in the first place , very poss they come in bagged products already infested off the shelf 

there's hundreds of posts on how to get rid of gnats 

i don't think any of them , organic or chemical , are 100% effective 

so going a poss systemic chem route makes not allot of sense to me 

gnat larvae eat fungus primarily , which can mean roots as well considering the fungal association with them

but roots are not the first cab off the rank for gnat larvae  

neem oil is one pesticide to try , rosemary oil is another strong pesticide 

neem meal or cake is another to look into as a top dress & tea making , the crushed neem seed will still have some oil left form the cold pressing 

but not enough to cause to many probs with left over soil residue while fighting an infestation https://www.livingsoil.com.au/shop/organic-amendments/neem-meal/

i'll Pm a member using nematodes for a infestation in a 15gal , i know he said he was knocking the down but 

don't think he won the war 

Edited by itchybromusic

I had a major infestation recently, I had a few airpots in the tent which I found near impossible to treat effectively as they're like bloody hives for the bastards with all the holes. I think the only effective way to treat that type of pot is to completely dunk the pot in your chosen treatment. The plants I had in the air pots weren't doing so well anyway so I threw them outside which helped things inside the tent.

Once I got my watering in check, I treated my 15 gallon pot with neem/kelp tea then treated the 15 gallon pot and small seedling cups with beneficial nematodes. I also used a top dress of malted barley powder in the big pot every week or so. This has just about cleared them up. Still one or 2 here and there but nothing to worry about.

I think the type and size of pot you're using can dictate what treatment to use. I have a mate that also used a diluted hydrogen peroxide mix in smaller pots but I wasn't overly keen to try this as I wasn't sure the effect it would have on the soil life.