September is prosate cancer awareness month

greenqueen2

Question

Its a little late but its never to late if it helps even just one person. One in five qlders will be diagnosed with prostate cancer by the age of 85.our dads,brothers,grandfather's,partners and friends are at risk. Prostate cancer is the leading cause of cancer among men in qld with around 4000 men diagnosed each year on average. September is prostate cancer awareness month and im urging men to help raise awareness of the disease and better understand there risk to help detect it early. While the five year survival rates for prostate cancer are drastically improving and are at 94%,up from 64% in the 1980,s there still no time for complacency. The cause of prostate cancer is still not clear and in the early stages prostate cancer ofter doesn't produce any symptoms however we do know that the risk of prostate cancer rises with age and occurs mainly in men over 60yrs. Men with a family history of also have and increased risk. Unfortunately there is no currently single simple test to detect prostate cancer.the test most commonly used to aid detection of prostate cancer is the prostate specific antigen referred to as PSA blood test but this test does not always reliably identify the presence of prostate cancer or distinguish potentially fatal cancers from benign tumours. If you notice any body changes including difficulties or pain on passing urine,or blood in urine or any of these combined with pain in the lower back,upper thighs or pelvic area then its recommended that you talk to your GP asap, please dont wait or you could also contact cancer council on 13 11 20 or for more info regarding prostate cancer go to www.cancerqld.org.au thanks for reading and lastly i want to say that prostate cancer doesnt just happen to older men it can happen at any age as was the case with my husband he was only 47 when diagnosed.thanks again for takin the time to read this post and help spread the awareness...GQ

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

4 answers to this question

tl;dr Prostate cancer sucks but I'm a survivor and that's evidence that appropriate treatment can give good results. It was nevertheless very stressful and traumatic for me and I am fairly sure that my current regular use of cannabis keeps the PTSD at bay.

It's now 12 years since I parted company with my prostate and so far, so good. Mine was a fairly typical 4/5 Gleason (low grade) multifocal adeno-carcinoma at pathology although my age at diagnosis was low at 54. For the record, I had no real symptoms - mine was found incidentally by a very capable GP equivalent when I turned up for an annual physical while living in Boston in 2005. He told me that my prostate was asymmetrical and that bothered him enough to advise a visit to the urologist who agreed that it didn't feel right and suggested a biopsy. That was no fun at all but it was positive. I remember reading the email from the pathologist mentioning multiple Gleason grade 4/5 sites in the cores. So on August 7 2005, living in the USA with a wife and 2 teenage kids, out it came... I stopped getting my PSA measured after 4 years because waiting for the result made me unbearably anxious and I figure that if the insurance actuaries are right, my risk of recurrence is now very low....

I think I got lucky with the surgeon, a well regarded and apparently very skilled laparoscopist who managed to leave me fully continent and with what remains reasonable sexual function for an old bloke. No one ever had their sexual function improved by a radical prostatectomy and although I still have servicable erectile function and pleasurable orgasms, it's wierd having zero ejaculate - the prostate is responsible for squirting all the semen filled goo and a prostatectomy by definition removes the seminal vesicles and the vas deferens on both sides like a superduper vasectomy. Freeze your sperm if you care about future little you's. They don't necessarily tell you all those gory details before surgery and although I'm a physician, I never really thought much about it in my shell shocked state before surgery....

Funny, but I've hardly thought or talked about the experience for many years but am happy to answer questions if there are any....

Edited by doctor_nelson

I just want say thank you posting that doc it really will help someone out there,it also helps breakdown some of the walls and stigma that still surrounds prostate cancer and give people real hope that they can beat this terrible disease and still have some quality of life after being diagnosed or having treatment,for me and my husband life will never be the same after receiving treatment for prostate cancer but its sure as hell better than living without him and thats why im always trying get the word out and spread awareness,its not the most pleasant topic but it is an important one

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app