SIPs wicking grow!

i have done bokashi composting , i used the kashi compost to fill worm towers in garden beds

basically a large plastic tube with a lid sticking out of the soil = in bed worm farm

the grokashi is a little diff than bokashi but can be used in exactly the same way as bokashi

diff is a few extra ingredients & 10 to 14 days worth of plant minerals in grokashi

there's some great info on the earthbox site https://earthbox.com/learning-center

your not using an earthbox but the principle is the same

check this out https://youtu.be/xpopShfmyrY the guy talking is kevin jodrey owner of wonderland nursery

& the tall guy is alan atkinson designer of grokashi & the probiotic wellness garden system

which i'm using , they mention other uses for grokashi like fruit trees , lawns even feeding to the

chickens & dogs

i'm finding indoors growing in an earthbox , i'm keeping the rez filled daily , the plants seem to enjoy that

i'm also having some media drying round the edge of the container , maybe why plants are enjoying daily water ,

i think this is caused by the media i used being to dry at the start when filling the earthbox , F, ups are all learning

but as you seem to be doing already , best to test & make mistakes on a smaller scale instead of hanging ya nuts

out there & hoping for the best

thanks Itchy gonna kick back for a watch now, I will take a few pics of my prototypes as they develop and update this page, pretty keen to get some grokashi although I've found lucerne bales to break down well and start similar mycelium to that footage just all takes a little longer. Amazing how quick the grokashi activates and starts growing mycelium
  • Upvote 1

Hey guys. I did some ultra dodgy sips the season gone. Used a heap less water than season prior(120l every 2 days down to 120 once a week maybe a little earlier if weather was super hot).

My system was dodgy as all hell for 5 girls it was dug a hole the size of my pot drop some black plastic in then dropped the pot on top. No media level, no direct fill pipe. Seemed to go ok did have issues with nute burn.

One plant was done even dodgier. 150l bag lined bottom with plastic and filled with normal media. This bag was where I used up excess coco so it sorta had a media level but not properly. Same issue with nute burn again.

One pot which had a male bit didn't get to the peak of summer to test was a bucket dropped though a pot with the bottom removed to make the water storage level. Filled with blue metal that I could steal from a road side on the way to the plot, layer of cloth then filled with soil mix. Did have an over flow hole set up and did have a fill pipe. Didn't test properly due to a male as said before.

2017 project is to take a 1/2 ibc out bush. Bury it in a sandy plot use the sand as a media ( not carting that much blue metal/stones or buying scoria or perlite) layer of cloth/over flow holes/feed pipe and the. Add 1/2 plants depending on sizes and of course soil mix.

Any tips for the upcoming season are welcome. Cheers fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Hey guys. I did some ultra dodgy sips the season gone. Used a heap less water than season prior(120l every 2 days down to 120 once a week maybe a little earlier if weather was super hot).

My system was dodgy as all hell for 5 girls it was dug a hole the size of my pot drop some black plastic in then dropped the pot on top. No media level, no direct fill pipe. Seemed to go ok did have issues with nute burn.

One plant was done even dodgier. 150l bag lined bottom with plastic and filled with normal media. This bag was where I used up excess coco so it sorta had a media level but not properly. Same issue with nute burn again.

One pot which had a male bit didn't get to the peak of summer to test was a bucket dropped though a pot with the bottom removed to make the water storage level. Filled with blue metal that I could steal from a road side on the way to the plot, layer of cloth then filled with soil mix. Did have an over flow hole set up and did have a fill pipe. Didn't test properly due to a male as said before.

2017 project is to take a 1/2 ibc out bush. Bury it in a sandy plot use the sand as a media ( not carting that much blue metal/stones or buying scoria or perlite) layer of cloth/over flow holes/feed pipe and the. Add 1/2 plants depending on sizes and of course soil mix.

Any tips for the upcoming season are welcome. Cheers fellas

sounds like you just need to sort your media out & you'll be laughing 

best to have a peat or coco based media for more efficient wicking

rice hulls can work as aeration & are lite , will do the same as perlite

& float to the top a bit , you can also use the rice hulls as a mulch cover

will promote & feed fungal populations in the soil , is also easy in

a container to tip the rice hulls out , top dress with whatever & put

the rice hulls back on top , easier than straw anyway 

Ahhhh yeah that's what i thought you meant 

rewind

yes you can use bokashi grains ( the dry stuff ) , would suggest getting a organic bokashi , i think the brand , Bokashi One , is organic but not sure

i say that cos many many things can be used to make bokashi  

grokashi has a few things like beetroot juice , azomite , molasses , salt  & couple of others 

you could use bokashi as a top dress under your mulch layer , the bacterial mycellium will air prune if it forms

so keeping a good size mulch layer would be good

you could also try laying the bokashi on top of the soil & cover the top of the pot with plastic , to keep the soil moist

& let the mycellium form , once formed , takes about 5 to 7 days with grokashi & bottom watering , when it does , add

compost or casting to the top & more bokashi on top of that , put the plastic back on & do / wait for the same thing ,

mycellium to form , after that happens remove the plastic & add a thick mulch layer to protect the mycellium , which won't stay forever  

one thing grokashi does is add minerals to the system for about 10 to 14days 

you could try , when top dressing with bokashi adding a lill rock dust , not quite the same as grokashi but might help

just don't over do the rock dust , just a very lite sprinkle of dust over the surface & the bokashi over that

keep in mind this is more theory than anything else , taking sip growing ideas & trying to incorporate them in container growing

enter at own risk :)   

Thanks for the detailed response! That's what I was sorta thinking based on the vid you posted. Got some rock dust on the way too :)

• Upvote 1

sounds like you just need to sort your media out & you'll be laughing

best to have a peat or coco based media for more efficient wicking

rice hulls can work as aeration & are lite , will do the same as perlite

& float to the top a bit , you can also use the rice hulls as a mulch cover

will promote & feed fungal populations in the soil , is also easy in

a container to tip the rice hulls out , top dress with whatever & put

the rice hulls back on top , easier than straw anyway

Hey itchy what would the benefit be of the rice hulls floating you lost me there sorry mate.

My soil mix is normally 30%"organic" potting mix, 30 mixed aged "organic" manure sheep cow and pig, 30 coco and 10 perlite. Plus I mulch the top of the pots last year I think it was lupin mulch or something.

So would you be saying replace the perlite with rice hulls?

yep what AB said , some dislike the fact perlite floats , rice hulls will do the same , generally not to much of a prob if you keep the pot mulched 

no i wouldn't replace with rice hulls cos they will break down at some point & you'll loose that aeration , i'll swap out a couple of liters of scoria for rice hulls

but def not all the scoria or perlite , perlite can be a prob too, if your no tilling & reusing the pot / soil constantly over the years , it will give up the ghost at 

some point as well , keep in mind we are talking years 

as far as your soil mix go's , i'd look at combining the organic potting mix with the poo to make 1 equal part of your mix  

make coco the next part of your mix & aeration the third part 

i mix 1.5 cubic foot at a time so your mix would be 

14lts of potting mix / poo ( 7lts of each )

14lts of aeration 

14lts of coco , peat would be better but coco is fine 

to that add 

3/4 cup of gypsum 

3/4 cup of dolomite or crab shell or oyster shell 

there's some others you can add but give that a go , you can always top dress stuff later 

try mixing 1/3 the amount & put a plant in it , i think you can get tomatoes now at nurseries

soil mix might be fine but might also need to sit after mixing for a week or 2 B4 use

there's allot less stress when you fuck up a $10 seedling from bunnings than a $10 seed from herbies 

don't be shy to have diff items in your mulch layer , same as using a cover crop mix

variety is the spice of life as they say