SIPs wicking grow!

Thanks Itchy,I like that bokashi mycelium web that is so cool. I would like to try bokashi composting also, is this something you practice? Yep I understand the overwatering risk of having the tea below full and top watering also. I thonk I will try a couple of different methods and figure out which works best as far as a design goes. I will take some pics and document in here a diy build and test run of few different designs floating around in my brain

i have done bokashi composting , i used the kashi compost to fill worm towers in garden beds 

basically a large plastic tube with a lid sticking out of the soil = in bed worm farm 

the grokashi is a little diff than bokashi but can be used in exactly the same way as bokashi 

diff is a few extra ingredients & 10 to 14 days worth of plant minerals in grokashi 

there's some great info on the earthbox site https://earthbox.com/learning-center

your not using an earthbox but the principle is the same

check this out https://youtu.be/xpopShfmyrY the guy talking is kevin jodrey owner of wonderland nursery 

& the tall guy is alan atkinson designer of grokashi & the probiotic wellness garden system

which i'm using , they mention other uses for grokashi like fruit trees , lawns even feeding to the

chickens & dogs 

i'm finding indoors growing in an earthbox , i'm keeping the rez filled daily , the plants seem to enjoy that 

i'm also having some media drying round the edge of the container , maybe why plants are enjoying daily water ,

i think this is caused by the media i used being to dry at the start when filling the earthbox  , F, ups are all learning

but as you seem to be doing already , best to test & make mistakes on a smaller scale instead of hanging ya nuts

out there & hoping for the best 

in that first vid he uses growkashi which is a bokashi fertilizer 

it's poss , although i've never tried it , to use bokashi with some rock dust 

he also uses EM-1 in the rez @ 7.5ml per liter & foliars the same @ 1/4 strength weekly 

grokashi supplies all the minerals a plant needs for about 10 to 14 days 

he top dresses kashi to start with , this creates a bacterial mycelium which

pushes though the whole medium , every 2 weeks he reapplies the kashi 

& every second reapply he adds compost & or castings first & new kashi on top 

the bacterial mycelium finds the food & delivers it to the plant root system via the 

mycelium network 

don't know if you want to try that but thought i'd explain what he was doing in that vid 

Thats really cool. I've been using Bokashi mix in my large compost bin to speed it up but didn't know I could apply directly to the garden bed as well.

Am I right in thinking that the Bokashi spray from Bunnings is just EM-1? I will ideally get it from a better source in future but already have a bottle at home.

Also, when we are talking Mycellium is that the same as mycorrhizae fungi? Or is mycorrhizae fungi more specific?

Sorry about all the questions, you are a wealth of knowledge though itchy! I love this site!

Thats really cool. I've been using Bokashi mix in my large compost bin to speed it up but didn't know I could apply directly to the garden bed as well.

Am I right in thinking that the Bokashi spray from Bunnings is just EM-1? I will ideally get it from a better source in future but already have a bottle at home.

Also, when we are talking Mycellium is that the same as mycorrhizae fungi? Or is mycorrhizae fungi more specific?

Sorry about all the questions, you are a wealth of knowledge though itchy! I love this site!

well sort of , it is direct in the garden bed but via a in bed worm farm , not just buried or top dressed 

the maze bokashi spray i believe has some essential oils added to it so not the best to be using on plants 

that was some time ago & they might have changed something since 

you can get EM-1 from here http://www.livingapartment.com.au/Products/Food-Supplements-Health-Care/Probiotic-Living-Beneficial-Micro-Organisms-1Ltr these guys buy it from here http://www.scdprobiotics.com/ProBio-Balance-Plus-p/a152-1.htm

there is also someone selling the teraganix EM-1 here in oz but can't remember who now 

Mycellium & mycorrhizae are not the same thing similar in what they provide a plant but not the same 

mycorrhizae is a fungus , Mycellium can be both fungal & bacterial , it's the mycorrhizae that has the full

relationship with root systems , a bit of a botched explanation , prob best to do some googling & bypass my BS

no probs , anytime , but always check what i say cos i'm a stoner & can F up sometimes 

well sort of , it is direct in the garden bed but via a in bed worm farm , not just buried or top dressed 

the maze bokashi spray i believe has some essential oils added to it so not the best to be using on plants 

that was some time ago & they might have changed something since 

you can get EM-1 from here http://www.livingapartment.com.au/Products/Food-Supplements-Health-Care/Probiotic-Living-Beneficial-Micro-Organisms-1Ltr these guys buy it from here http://www.scdprobiotics.com/ProBio-Balance-Plus-p/a152-1.htm

there is also someone selling the teraganix EM-1 here in oz but can't remember who now 

Mycellium & mycorrhizae are not the same thing similar in what they provide a plant but not the same 

mycorrhizae is a fungus , Mycellium can be both fungal & bacterial , it's the mycorrhizae that has the full

relationship with root systems , a bit of a botched explanation , prob best to do some googling & bypass my BS

no probs , anytime , but always check what i say cos i'm a stoner & can F up sometimes 

Just realised you thought I meant applying Bokashi compost direct to garden. I actually meant the bags of Bokashi mix that you can buy (the dry shit). The Grokashi just has some other things added doesnt it?

Just realised you thought I meant applying Bokashi compost direct to garden. I actually meant the bags of Bokashi mix that you can buy (the dry shit). The Grokashi just has some other things added doesnt it?

Ahhhh yeah that's what i thought you meant 

rewind

yes you can use bokashi grains ( the dry stuff ) , would suggest getting a organic bokashi , i think the brand , Bokashi One , is organic but not sure

i say that cos many many things can be used to make bokashi  

grokashi has a few things like beetroot juice , azomite , molasses , salt  & couple of others 

you could use bokashi as a top dress under your mulch layer , the bacterial mycellium will air prune if it forms

so keeping a good size mulch layer would be good

you could also try laying the bokashi on top of the soil & cover the top of the pot with plastic , to keep the soil moist

& let the mycellium form , once formed , takes about 5 to 7 days with grokashi & bottom watering , when it does , add

compost or casting to the top & more bokashi on top of that , put the plastic back on & do / wait for the same thing ,

mycellium to form , after that happens remove the plastic & add a thick mulch layer to protect the mycellium , which won't stay forever  

one thing grokashi does is add minerals to the system for about 10 to 14days 

you could try , when top dressing with bokashi adding a lill rock dust , not quite the same as grokashi but might help

just don't over do the rock dust , just a very lite sprinkle of dust over the surface & the bokashi over that

keep in mind this is more theory than anything else , taking sip growing ideas & trying to incorporate them in container growing

enter at own risk :)