pH levels in soil. How many really check it?

thinking about it ....

i have checked soil ph where i grow out of curiousity, but have never tried to change it

this seasons planting fields ideally would have been prepared six+ months ago

if you compose a soil by amending it then that soil should be rested for good long time before sowing in it

Edited by Frazz
  • Upvote 1

thinking about it ....

i have checked soil ph where i grow out of curiousity, but have never tried to change it

this seasons planting fields ideally would have been prepared six+ months ago

if you compose a soil by amending it then that soil should be rested for good long time before sowing in it

hmmmm yes & no i say 

depends on what you've used as amendments 

the soil mix i make can be planted in the moment you make it with no burning 

if your talking about soil life then yes a new mix , depending on what's used 

needs time to activate

when you pull your plant at the end of the season , throw down a winter cover crop & walk away 

keeping roots growing in your plot keeps the beneficial's like N fixing bacteria around fixing N

in the soil ready for the new summer season

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

i find that a bit with people going canna organically 

at some point you realize , i'm putting all this time money & effort to feed my canna plant , why the fuck are we not doing the same for our own health 

i agree but imho it's all about food nutrient density 

that nutrient density comes from the life in the soil & the more you dig the more that life has to start over 

i wonder had you not disturbed the ground but fed it with mulch & new plant roots systems constantly ,

the quality & quantity of produce would have increased each year 

You just made me think about not disturbing the ground and I thought of a mate of mine:

A long time ago, I bought a 6x3m shed from him that he used to hydro in (and I ended up doing) and he never lined the floor - just left it as dirt. So one day he decided to throw a seed or two in and keep the one that looked strongest. The one he kept f*cking BOOMED because of all the run off water/nutrients that had soaked into the ground for so long. He recons he would have pulled 1.5 to 2lb easy of the plant BUT someone ripped it the night before he was going to do it. They had to saw through the base because it was so thick!! He was absolutely devo! Can't say I blame him hey...

• Upvote 1

hmmmm yes & no i say 

depends on what you've used as amendments 

the soil mix i make can be planted in the moment you make it with no burning 

if your talking about soil life then yes a new mix , depending on what's used 

needs time to activate

when you pull your plant at the end of the season , throw down a winter cover crop & walk away 

keeping roots growing in your plot keeps the beneficial's like N fixing bacteria around fixing N

in the soil ready for the new summer season

God, I have soooo much to learn from you people!!

• Upvote 1

You just made me think about not disturbing the ground and I thought of a mate of mine:

A long time ago, I bought a 6x3m shed from him that he used to hydro in (and I ended up doing) and he never lined the floor - just left it as dirt. So one day he decided to throw a seed or two in and keep the one that looked strongest. The one he kept f*cking BOOMED because of all the run off water/nutrients that had soaked into the ground for so long. He recons he would have pulled 1.5 to 2lb easy of the plant BUT someone ripped it the night before he was going to do it. They had to saw through the base because it was so thick!! He was absolutely devo! Can't say I blame him hey...

God, I have soooo much to learn from you people!!

hate rippers ,  cos most of us growers would give some to someone so desperate to jump ya fence to steal a plant 

plenty of knowledgeable people round these parts happy to help :) 

I adjust soil if planting in the ground aka bush plot. Test The soil from two inches under the ground whitva ph soil test kit from Bunnings. If it's low ph I add a good few handfuls per metre square of dolomite lime and fork it through the top soil with some compost and dynamic lifter. Than I like to mulch well and leave to rest for atleast a month. If it's high I add a good handful of Sulfur per square metre and use gypsum and compost and mulch as above. If making a soil I still like to test it.
  • Upvote 2