pH levels in soil. How many really check it?

Hi folks!!

As this year will be my first outdoor (like I've said in every other thread that I've started) and I'm genuinely curious as to how many people really keep tabs on their soil's pH...

I'm thinking about doing it but as this is my first time outside, I don't want to overwhelm myself too much. If the general consensus is yes, check it, then how do you know how much epsom salts etc do you use and how do you do it? Is it as simple as sprinkling on the topsoil and watering in? How long will it take to change the pH? How often should you test?

Sorry everyone but I don't have anywhere/anyone else to ask.

Cheers in advance.

T.T.

Edited by T!CTAC
  • Upvote 1

i never check PH 

but i am using a known quantity so to speak , a soil mix that has been tested many times 

although what i'm using will not be the same here as it would elsewhere in the world 

it will still be reasonably close , depending on the amendment quality i choose 

i believe with organics the plant & soil organisms drive PH in a living system & no need to micro manage

something that takes care of itself , if allowed to

• Upvote 2

Thanks for your replies mates.

@sunseeker : how do I apply it? I guess it would be on the box but I'm asking anyway lol.

Would I need to have pH neutral water to use because of my pH in the soil needed to be higher but the water was lower, wouldn't that potentially cancel the desired effect? Or am I just overthinking it?

Cheers mate.

sounds like over thinking , maybe 

have you made a soil mix or is this pre planning ?

what's your water source ?

What are you using to test PH ?

Hi there. I'm pre planning. I'll be using tap water and not sure yet what type of tester I'll use. Sorry I can't be more specific.

nuh that's good man , pre planning is a good thing 

tap water PH & a bunch of other info like what else they put in the water can be checked via whom ever runs the water supply in your state 

generally on there web site 

old house pipes can have an affect on water quality too , 2 simple things that will help with tap water use  , not cure , just help 

let the water sit or bubble for 24hrs to evap chloramines off B4 use 

use a decent size mulch layer on your pot , will work as a filter for the water as long as you water slowly 

as i said i don't PH , to give you an idea of what is in some water feeds i do & what  there PH might be 

I use EM-1 , this has a PH of 3.5 & below , i know this cos i've made my own & for this you do need a PH pen 

EM-1 is being mixed in @ 7.5ml per liter , you would have to think the water / EM solution would have to be acidic 

& it is , but plants stand & pray when i drench or foliar spray 

the best thing to get used to now is learning to make compost teas , 

a bunch of beneficials can all most make any prob go away , & you can practice on your outdoor garden now 

• Upvote 1

nuh that's good man , pre planning is a good thing 

tap water PH & a bunch of other info like what else they put in the water can be checked via whom ever runs the water supply in your state 

generally on there web site 

old house pipes can have an affect on water quality too , 2 simple things that will help with tap water use  , not cure , just help 

let the water sit or bubble for 24hrs to evap chloramines off B4 use 

use a decent size mulch layer on your pot , will work as a filter for the water as long as you water slowly 

as i said i don't PH , to give you an idea of what is in some water feeds i do & what  there PH might be 

I use EM-1 , this has a PH of 3.5 & below , i know this cos i've made my own & for this you do need a PH pen 

EM-1 is being mixed in @ 7.5ml per liter , you would have to think the water / EM solution would have to be acidic 

& it is , but plants stand & pray when i drench or foliar spray 

the best thing to get used to now is learning to make compost teas , 

a bunch of beneficials can all most make any prob go away , & you can practice on your outdoor garden now 

Cheers, Itchy :-)

My wife and I are having a proper go at the veggie plots this year too, so I think having a go at compost tea will be quite a good learning experience.

Really looking forward to all the gardening this year :-) :-) :-)

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Itchy :-)

My wife and I are having a proper go at the veggie plots this year too, so I think having a go at compost tea will be quite a good learning experience.

Really looking forward to all the gardening this year :-) :-) :-)

i find that a bit with people going canna organically 

at some point you realize , i'm putting all this time money & effort to feed my canna plant , why the fuck are we not doing the same for our own health 

When i use to grow out doors i never looked at PH back then i had never heard about PH and all the other stuff ppl go on about now.

I found as long as u had good ground prep, what ever was planted there would thrive...

i agree but imho it's all about food nutrient density 

that nutrient density comes from the life in the soil & the more you dig the more that life has to start over 

i wonder had you not disturbed the ground but fed it with mulch & new plant roots systems constantly ,

the quality & quantity of produce would have increased each year 

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1