Growing Psychotria in Melbourne

Has anyone here had experience growing Psychotria viridis in Melbourne? Also any experience growing Caapi in Melbourne?

I have a three metre glasshouse with good soil, and am hoping to dig a trench in the glasshouse, fill it with plenty of compost, keep the glass whitewashed, humidified, and see how it goes.

I am interested in reading the experiences of others who may have grown Psychotria in Melbourne, with and without glasshouse. I'm also considering growing Caapi, but I think that might be a difficult task, being a tropical climber.

Edited by OldGardener

Get to the point. If youre interested in dmt the wattle is a great source ... Acacia maidenii ..... The viridis takes too long to grow out to a fair size.... and theyre finnicky. Acacia species contain dmt in abundance....

and you take, let me suggest.... a third toke.... longggg and slowwwww and you vaporizeee and you take it in and in and in and there is this sound, like the crumpling of a bread wrapper.... and this scene comes rushing forward..... ahh mckenna may you rest in paradise.

Edited by _Puff_Tough_

I should have mentioned that I already have Acacia floribunda and some other wattles that I could experiment with. But I have a perfectly good glasshouse going to waste, from my days of growing ferns and orchids. It is currently overgrown with stuff that needs to be cleared, and I thought I would give Psychotria and Caapi a go.

From what I have read on the internet, it seems that these plants may grow well here. So I have decided to give them a go.

OK, so I've taken the plunge and purchased a Psychotria vididis "Luna". It is currently sitting under a plastic "growdome" in a warm shady spot and is getting several mistings a day to keep up the humidity until I get it repotted and into the glasshouse.

I think I'll give the Caapi a miss until I see how the Psychotria goes. Peganum (Syrian Rue) is a far more robust plant for Melbourne anyway, so I'll stick with that for now.

I think the trick with Psychotria is to try to replicate the jungle conditions it came from. So dappled light, high humidity, and a soil with plenty of compost is the go. Warmth would help, but that is one thing in very short supply in Melbourne at the moment.

Time for another update.

My Psychotria is still very green and healthy looking. But it has not grown at all. It has had several new leaves but a few of the old leaves have fallen off so overall the plant looks about the same as when I brought it. It is in a pot in a glasshouse in Melbun. Gets plenty of sun and gets misted nearly every day.

Don't know what it requires to get it to actually grow.

got any pics?

thats gotta be a lotta work

to keep up with your growing conditions

may be if you were more north of Melbourne 

it wouldnt be so much work....

but im a lazy gardener  lol

imo i think its to cold of a climate n its not taking off. i could be wrong

good luck!

Edited by ..............................