nematodes from the good bug shop

http://goodbugshop.com.au/

So you decide to give the nematodes a go , to help fight the pesky gnat

first off , depending how you look at it , it's not cheap , @ $44 + delivery  

when it arrives post-50689-0-07620000-1501713923_thumb.jpg if your not using asap you

need to place in the fridge until you do

once opened post-50689-0-45225900-1501713943_thumb.jpg you'll find 2 items in the box 

post-50689-0-95601100-1501713962_thumb.jpg one is your nematodes post-50689-0-97893100-1501713987_thumb.jpg

the other is a cold pack wrapped in paper to adsorb condensation post-50689-0-26262600-1501714011_thumb.jpg

when the chinese take away container is opened the contents looks like a lite fluffy flour  post-50689-0-14260100-1501714030_thumb.jpg

they keep in the fridge for 4 weeks , 4 applications over 4 weeks is possible or anything within 4 weeks period   

you can not over supply each pot with nematodes , they eat gnats or dead organic mater , composters 

There are application rates of flour to water when mixing , most important you have enough water to wash the nematodes into the top soil

as i've done in the past & seen mentioned on here recently , "let the pot dry out" this is def not good idea for living soils

the micro life need moisture & so do the $44 worth of nematodes  , in fact you need to water the pot  first B4 you apply 

the nematodes & have mixed enough water with flour to wash the nematodes into the soil , we're not talking run off

here , just enough water to get them in the top soil layer , if you get run off that's way to much & a waste of nematodes

the top soil will also need to be kept moist for seven days after application 

soil temps need to be above 12c & below 25c when applying , they don't do well outside these temps 

water you mix in needs to be lukewarm & once mixed needs 20min to activate so to speak B4 spraying 

need to shake spray can often to keep the nematodes in suspension otherwise they will gather on the bottom 

moisten the soil first with plain water , then spay nematodes , wait 30min , then spray with plain water to help wash them in

even coverage over the soil surface & a lill extra where you see larvae , outdoors spray in the eve as nematodes don't like UV

my plan is to split flour in 4 & spray once a week for the 4 weeks , this is poss a bit over the top for a preventative

i don't have gnats at the mo but i am running SIP's indoors , in that system there ain't no soil drying out , ever , it's moist

constantly , add to that higher soil temps & things can go sideways very quickly indoors 

you can use a pump sprayer but don't use to much pressure & remove any filters that are smaller than 0.5mm 

there is also a watering can method of application & hose-end sprayer method 

even coverage is important cause the lill buggers don't travel far 

nematodes work in hydro systems , check there web site for detail on that 

i can't think of anymore to tell you , & def double check "this stoner" with all info on there site , well worth going though if you plan to purchase & use nematodes

IPM Baby post-50689-0-17606200-1501714057_thumb.jpg 

cheers gang 

hope that helps someone out thinking about going the nematode route  

i applied them last night , will keep people informed if any interesting developments pop up 

• Upvote 1

Itchybrodude, had a look first time we talked these devil bugs,and yeah the price is a bit excy,

but more than willing to pay that price if they work!

So will look on with interest to see if nematodes grab these lil fuckers by the throat or they end up playing vollyball together.

Mate,taking one for the team when you have'nt even got hell gnats

Thats dedication :good:  :good:

Itchybrodude, had a look first time we talked these devil bugs,and yeah the price is a bit excy,

but more than willing to pay that price if they work!

So will look on with interest to see if nematodes grab these lil fuckers by the throat or they end up playing vollyball together.

Mate,taking one for the team when you have'nt even got hell gnats

Thats dedication :good:  :good:

well price wise is really only a prob because of the amount sold , small indoor growers don't need that quantity 

also they are living & will be in your media as long as there environment is to there liking 

as far as if they work , they do because gnats are there natural prey but depends on the infestation & if the 

grower is on to it or not , i have a blueberry fruit plant in a sip outdoors full of gnats i sprayed with nematodes yesterday

keep in mind we got down to 0.8c last night , not the Bahamas for nematodes but seemed to be a decrease 

in gnat flyers & larvae today when i looked , again they could of all just froze to death , along with the nematodes 

something to keep in mind if spraying outdoors = what's the temp gonna be ?"

taking one for the team , nah , this is IPM ,

IPM can be what ever you want it to be but mainly to be preemptive , i'm setting up an environment in SIPs perfect for gnats

to thrive , better to setup a hostile environment for them from the get go & hope they don't get a foot hold 

should just be part of the regime of feeding , like using aloe & silica with neem as a pest spray , aloe & silica 

are beneficial for plant health , while neem isn't good for plant health , in small amount it's tolerated but not by bugs 

I got fucking lots of them, big swarms of the stnuc, fly sprayed a shitload of them yesterday, now I know what was flying around last spring.

Fangas nuts and some other small flying fuckers, was a LA Nina year it was wet wet wet

didn't seem to affect yield in me outside shit or me pots last season.

Will be getting a few boxes of these to fix them up, one now one later towards planting time, do the inside ones as well.

turned me inlet fan on pressurised me room, and put a flyscreen on the door, not many in there tho,

Might have a think about going back to chemicals and aero x dwc. give it till Xmas and see, stick to the plan for now.

Yeah like there's a fucking plan

I told ya man, just when you think it's safe to go in water, it might not be jaws but lots of little jaws.

These fuks will not die!

Don't get me started on gnat bashing.

So itchy dude,are gnats the only thing on nematode diet?

Mean they won't start eating e/thing when gnats run out? I know thats the whole idea of doing in first place but who knows.

Mate,will be watching closely

I got fucking lots of them, big swarms of the stnuc, fly sprayed a shitload of them yesterday, now I know what was flying around last spring.

Fangas nuts and some other small flying fuckers, was a LA Nina year it was wet wet wet

didn't seem to affect yield in me outside shit or me pots last season.

Will be getting a few boxes of these to fix them up, one now one later towards planting time, do the inside ones as well.

turned me inlet fan on pressurised me room, and put a flyscreen on the door, not many in there tho,

Might have a think about going back to chemicals and aero x dwc. give it till Xmas and see, stick to the plan for now.

Yeah like there's a fucking plan

fungus gnats are more of a annoyance than a major threat 

the larvae like to eat fungus & decaying organic matter 

sometimes that fungus they like to eat is on a plants root system 

so roots can get chomped on

do you have any sort of filtering on that inlet fan ? 

I told ya man, just when you think it's safe to go in water, it might not be jaws but lots of little jaws.

These fuks will not die!

Don't get me started on gnat bashing.

So itchy dude,are gnats the only thing on nematode diet?

Mean they won't start eating e/thing when gnats run out? I know thats the whole idea of doing in first place but who knows.

Mate,will be watching closely

as far as i know these nematodes have interest in gnat larvae & decaying organic matter as food , no interest in plant root systems 

there are def nematodes that like to fuck with plants but not juvenile steinernema feltiae nematodes 

if they run out of food they run out of life 

What are Beneficial Nematodes?

Beneficial Nematodes are naturally occurring microscopic worms that live either below or just above the soil. There are many thousands

of different types of nematodes, and while some may be seen as harmful, Beneficial Nematodes are a group that are not considered bad

and they have no negative impact on society or the environment.

When applied, the nematodes seek out the pest and enter it through natural openings, where they then release a symbiotic bacteria

which very quickly kills the target pest and provides a food source. The nematodes breed within the dead insect, and once the offspring

have exhausted the food source from this host they leave and actively search for a new host. This process can continue across several

generations and as such provides longer term control.

These Beneficial Nematodes are not harmful to any non-target pests. They do not affect other beneficial insects such as earthworms,

ladybugs or other micro-organisms. They are not harmful to humans, and are totally safe around humans and waterways. They are

naturally occurring and then mass reared.

Why use Beneficial Nematodes?

Studies have shown that Beneficial Nematodes are more effective at controlling target pests than chemical treatments, and that

they are much safer to both users and the environment.

The inability of chemicals to adequately penetrate the soil and reach the pest, as well as increased resistance to these chemicals,

causes limited chemical control in the real world. On top of this these chemicals are shown to find their way into waterways, and

can easily come into contact with people and pets as they stay on the surface of the ground.

Beneficial Nematodes actively work their way into the ground and seek a host, or lay in wait above ground to ambush the pest

depending on the nematode used. Pests cannot build up a resistance to nematodes like they can with chemicals. They are

harmless to the environment, and the family and pets are able to use the treated area without any safety or health concerns.