Pedro V fungas gnats, rnd 1

Got me some gnats, didn't want to miss out on all the fun. never had them before in 30+ yrs

Seen them flying around the last couple of weeks

Tried the "ignore and hope you fuck off treatment" no successes,

half me pots had them, the ones with dirt out of me tomacco garden had none

A couple of days ago I decided they weren't much fun and had to go

Today they are gone,(its only rnd 1) never spent a cent, just annoyed the little stnuc til they were to tired to fly

and squashed the little fuckers with me finger

yeah use sticky traps as part of a ipm 

put'em up at the start of the grow & check if anythings stuck to them each day 

the other thing to mention is temp at the mo it's cold , gnats not as active 

but as we warm up that will change 

keep a lookout for tiny see though worms with a black dot on the head , that be gnat larvae 

No sticky strips within a 20mile radius, fuckers

I took the top inch of soil/compost/topdress off and hit them with the fans on flat out, one pushing them up one down

went in every so often and killed some, give the soil a tickle to flush any fuckers out and repeat

Got some slices of potatoes on top of he soil today to encourage the left overs up

Wait and see I suppose, there will be a few floating about

got me seedlings in there as well, fucking fems of course

she'll be right tho, always is lol

terrorists of the plants world fungal gnats can develop into a threat to the livelihood of your plants

they can complete generation life cycles in about 15-20 days most of this time is spent in the root zone

eggs laid will become lavae in 3 days or so, plus 10 days and they are active adults

quick effective and safe killer of gnats  is Azamax (harmless to man & beast) mixed with nutes irrigating the medium

also used as a knock down, but down in the root zone is where the lavae feed upon the young root-lets

an Azamax regime that carries over the life -cycle into the next life cycle will often eliminate them completely

as a preventative, there is a medium/dirt/dust? which when placed on top of the pots' medium

actually rips the bodies of the adult gnat to shreds when the gnat attempts to burrow down into the medium to lay eggs

the name of this eludes me at the moment ... someone here will chime in and tell us what the feck it is ? ....

there is sharp sand i know, but there is something else ... bugger,  my old memory cells have given up today

give them a little respect Pedro,  as they can in bad cases actually overtake the plants health and bring on decline and death if left untreated

Edit: this is where positive air pressure within the grow room becomes desirable as opposed to negative pressure (which helps suck the little turds in)

Edited by Frazz
  • Upvote 1