Hi all. So I've been scouring heaps of posts here about outdoor soil to grow in and there seems to be a number of people who recommend Searles 5 in 1 (of you can find it).

Well, I think I did. (See my attached pic)

I'm guessing you mix this stuff into your soil or potting mix? And as I'll be growing in pots, how do I know how much to use and do I mix it all through the potting mix or just through the top few centimeters?

Sorry for asking such newbie questions but I've never done outdoor before.

Cheers.

post-61456-0-77829800-1500513261_thumb.jpg

A quick google coughs this one up. Seems to be a soil supplement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Et1-Ofiaw.

I usually pot up outdoor ones in Searles Premium Potting Mix. A few bang on about it being crap because it has slow release ferts in it. But it's proven to be faultless for me. Only other thing I use is potash that I hit them with a couple of weeks after flowering starts.

• Upvote 1

Here's some Auto's I started soaking two Saturdays ago, and been in premium mix about two weeks today. Doing alright considering how cold it is at the moment, 18 of 21 sprouted. If all goes well, I'll thin them out to 8-12, and should be sorted around the middle of Spring.

gallery_10745_1708_91193.jpg

Enough shit from me though. Hopefully you'll give the 5 in 1 a run and let us know how you got on, T!CTAC. :)

:peace:

• Upvote 1

A quick google coughs this one up. Seems to be a soil supplement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Et1-Ofiaw.

I usually pot up outdoor ones in Searles Premium Potting Mix. A few bang on about it being crap because it has slow release ferts in it. But it's proven to be faultless for me. Only other thing I use is potash that I hit them with a couple of weeks after flowering starts.

So if I can't find Searles Premium potting mix, I should find another good quality substitute with no added nutes and add the 5 in 1 to that? Sorry, just trying to get my head around it before September...

i think there's amounts to use on the bag from memory , used it some time ago now , might have changed

i would try a mix of 1 part 5in1 to 1 part peat moss & 1 part aeration like scoria / lava rock 

add 1/4 cup of dolomite & gypsum to 15lt of soil mix 

make a small mix for a 15 or 30 liter pot ,store it for 2 weeks then put a plant in it , doesn't have to be canna 

tomato is a good one , this is your soil test , if the tomato suffers the 5in1 could be to hot / too much

you can def use as a top dress or mixed in , top dressing is allot more forgiving than soil mixing when trying to get the balance right 

• Upvote 1

I can't see why that can't work for you. But I tend to think you got develop a bit of an eye when it comes to potting mixes. A lot of them tend to get bulked out with pine bark and/or sand, so you've got to keep an eye out for that.

But to my understanding, you seem to want to go organic? If that's the case, hopefully itchybromusic will blow by and fill you in on all that. :)

EDIT: ^^^ There we go. :D

Edited by Indycar
  • Upvote 1

i think there's amounts to use on the bag from memory , used it some time ago now , might have changed

i would try a mix of 1 part 5in1 to 1 part peat moss & 1 part aeration like scoria / lava rock 

add 1/4 cup of dolomite & gypsum to 15lt of soil mix 

make a small mix for a 15 or 30 liter pot ,store it for 2 weeks then put a plant in it , doesn't have to be canna 

tomato is a good one , this is your soil test , if the tomato suffers the 5in1 could be to hot / too much

you can def use as a top dress or mixed in , top dressing is allot more forgiving than soil mixing when trying to get the balance right

Thanks for your suggestion. It sounds like solid advice. Cheers, mate!

I can't see why that can't work for you. But I tend to think you got develop a bit of an eye when it comes to potting mixes. A lot of them tend to get bulked out with pine bark and/or sand, so you've got to keep an eye out for that.

But to my understanding, you seem to want to go organic? If that's the case, hopefully itchybromusic will blow by and fill you in on all that. :)

EDIT: ^^^ There we go. :D

lol. And just like that, he appears hahaha!
  • Upvote 1

cheers indy 

no worries tictac

i would go with a good quality compost or casting or mix of both rather than a store potting mix 

& use the same mix above  1 1 1 , compost peat air 

there are also extras you could add but there be a fair bit in 5in1 already if that's what you use as the compost part 

i'll also add larger volumes of soil in large pots are allot easier to maintain than smaller pots if trying 

to have a living soil 

• Upvote 3