CMH 315w VS 400w HPS Heat?

Anyone that thinks the 315w will equal a 600w hps for anything, is in for a rude shockThey are a good complementary light to run with hps's or a small grow in a tentthat's where mine is going soon when its not being used as a heaterwould need at least 5 315's to equal 3 600'sAll my opinion of cause and no doubt completely wrong lol

Not sure about your opinion re "cause" lol but I do agree that 5 x 315w cmh would support similar results to 3 x 600w and with less power draw.

• Upvote 2

I believe the op was seeking comparison of a 315w to a 400w. Pretty hard to assess the heat output of a 315w if you're running 2 x 600's either side I would have thought lol

I look forward to a true comparison of room temps of 1 x 315w vs 1 x 400w with no other heat source.

Gives a hour or so and I will, the hand often lies

Got a pissy little tent, will give them 15 mins each, ballast in and out

Edited by pedro de pacas

Gives a hour or so and I will, the hand often liesGot a pissy little tent, will give them 15 mins each, ballast in and out

Pedro I'm genuinely interested in this as a controlled experiment. Can you test one today and one tomorrow, else the tent will already be warm for the second light and skew the results? And thank you for going to the effort of testing this out (not sure I could be arsed putting up a tent for such a quick experiment!)

Pedro I'm genuinely interested in this as a controlled experiment. Can you test one today and one tomorrow, else the tent will already be warm for the second light and skew the results? And thank you for going to the effort of testing this out (not sure I could be arsed putting up a tent for such a quick experiment!)

Its fucking freezing here lol, but yes I can. 400 today, 315 tomorrow

is heat not directly proportional to the number of watts ?

Physics was never my strong point Billy but I think the following makes sense...

http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/html/watts-heat-lights-lamp-heat-output.html

One of the basic laws of physics is the law of the Conservation of Energy. This simply states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred from one form to another. So when a 100watt lamp is switched on, 100 watts of electrical energy is converted to 100watts of light and heat; a 50watt lamp produces a total 50 watts of light and heat, and so on.* However, some lamps are more efficient at producing light than others; this determines how much of that 100 watts is transformed into light, and how much is "wasted" and comes out as heat (very useful, though, if what we want is a basking lamp).

• Upvote 1

If budget isn't an issue and you are tossing up between a 400 hps and a 315 cmh and heat output is your deciding factor then I would say get a 315 cmh hands down. If you have good enough air flow and heat reduction to handle a 400 then you will be fine with a 315, most likely a bit cooler and save a bit of power while you are at it. if price point is the issue then cmh is probably not a viable option but if you can afford it you wont be disappointed with a 315 from my experiences.