CMH 315w VS 400w HPS Heat?

I haven't run both concurrently but I have done grows under both and I thought the 315w (Hi Par) was significantly cooler. (Ballast in both cases was located outside tent.) Certainly, I struggled to get temps over 20 degrees in my tent with light on during winter and had to use supplementary heat running 315w.

However, I was running 600w HPS immediately prior to switching to 315w so my memory may just be not good lol. I'll try and trawl thru my diaries and see if I can find any actual data on temps.

I will be running 2 x 315w when I switch to flower shortly, it will be very interesting to see how that compares to 600w hps heat-wise.

Edit: definitely NOT hotter than 400w though imo.

Edited by phenix
  • Upvote 1

I just held me hand under the globe, its not cool, never measured the temp of me room, don't see any reason to

will go out in a min and fire the 400 up and see

I turned me tube heater off the 315 does a better job

Not a tent grower, I grow in a proper room built for the job

The only reason the heater was on,I was only running two instead of 3 lights

Got the 315 in the middle of two 600s now

Ballasts live in the room all year round

the nanolex ballasts are by far the coolest, fucking noisy tho

• Upvote 1

Anyone that thinks the 315w will equal a 600w hps for anything, is in for a rude shock

They are a good complementary light to run with hps's or a small grow in a tent

that's where mine is going soon when its not being used as a heater

would need at least 5 315's to equal 3 600's

All my opinion ofcourse and no doubt completely wrong lol

Edited by pedro de pacas
  • Upvote 1

I just held me hand under the globe, its not cool, never measured the temp of me room, don't see any reason towill go out in a min and fire the 400 up and seeI turned me tube heater off the 315 does a better jobNot a tent grower, I grow in a proper room built for the jobThe only reason the heater was on,I was only running two instead of 3 lightsGot the 315 in the middle of two 600s nowBallasts live in the room all year roundthe nanolex ballasts are by far the coolest, fucking noisy tho

I believe the op was seeking comparison of a 315w to a 400w. Pretty hard to assess the heat output of a 315w if you're running 2 x 600's either side I would have thought lol

I look forward to a true comparison of room temps of 1 x 315w vs 1 x 400w with no other heat source.