Newbie and First Outdoor - Need help, Please

Hi everyone! Hope you're all doing well.

This is my first ever post here and I'm attempting my first outdoor in pots. (Waiting for my seeds to arrive and of course, September). I live in South Australia, if that helps.

I'm also a little paranoid and an overthinker, which is why I'm reaching out right now. All I want to do is grow in a couple of BIG pots outdoors. I have great directional light from the sun so that's not a problem but I'm really confused about the growing medium in pots. I was thinking of once I got my seeds to 'pop' then to put them straight into the pots as I don't want to shock them from repotting. Is that going to be a problem?

I was planning on using a good quality tomato and seed raising mix and pea straw mulch in the pots with some added perlite throughout the plants life cycle and using Miracle Gro during the veg stage (after maybe the first few weeks as I read that the seeds will have enough nutes to support the plant for the first two to three weeks) and swapping to Manutec Bloom Booster for heading.

Coco seems confusing to me with all the washing and checking pH etc. I just want to grow a couple of half decent babies for myself...

See? Told you I was paranoid and overthinking lol!! I know it's just 'a weed' but I've forked out for the beans and don't want it to be for nothing...

PS: I can't get Searles anywhere near me. My closest store is Bunnings.

Any advice for a complete (44 year old) newbie would be really appreciated.

Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, youre my only hope...

Cheers, all. :peace:

https://www.livingsoil.com.au/

Here's a link . You get the $250 pack , plant and go .. one purchase and when September comes you're growing ! Simple .

Sometimes you get so much different advice on these forums , you're actually worse off after everyone replies than when you started . Haha .. good luck thou !

Hi there. Thanks Jim. It's something to consider hey? And, yeah, lots of different advice. It makes my head spin!!

Hi Tictac. I will be starting my first grow ever, outdoor. Have a look at my post "I'm New. Please be patient :-)" . I'm extremely ignorant in the garden department and you will see in my post I was welcomed with some very good experienced info from the good folks of this forum. Read this first as you can over complicate your first grow. The thread will answer a lot of questions. Certainly put me on the right track.

Sent from my iPad using OZ Stoners

• Upvote 2

Hi Tictac. I will be starting my first grow ever, outdoor. Have a look at my post "I'm New. Please be patient :-)" . I'm extremely ignorant in the garden department and you will see in my post I was welcomed with some very good experienced info from the good folks of this forum. Read this first as you can over complicate your first grow. The thread will answer a lot of questions. Certainly put me on the right track.

Sent from my iPad using OZ Stoners

Hi Timmy! I'll be checking that out. Cheers!

Hi T!cTac,

I'm in Vic and I had great success last season using Scotts Osmocote premium potting mix in 40cm tubs, all from Bunnings. My plants eventually reached two metres tall, green and healthy. I fiddled around repotting a few times but I think that did more harm than good. The plants don't really have a massive root system, so the tubs were ample. This year I will repot straight from 10cm pots into the 40cm tubs.

The main thing is to ensure the plants get adequate water and sun. Watch out for bad weather, as hail can do some damage. I also grow tubs of tomatoes along with my other plants and the tomatoes tend to disguise whatever else is in the garden. You also get nice fresh tomatoes to enjoy.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Hi T!cTac,

I'm in Vic and I had great success last season using Scotts Osmocote premium potting mix in 40cm tubs, all from Bunnings. My plants eventually reached two metres tall, green and healthy. I fiddled around repotting a few times but I think that did more harm than good. The plants don't really have a massive root system, so the tubs were ample. This year I will repot straight from 10cm pots into the 40cm tubs.

The main thing is to ensure the plants get adequate water and sun. Watch out for bad weather, as hail can do some damage. I also grow tubs of tomatoes along with my other plants and the tomatoes tend to disguise whatever else is in the garden. You also get nice fresh tomatoes to enjoy.

Cheers!

Thanks OG and sorry for my late response. Appreciate your help :-)

I just started my grow for the season. 6 seeds: 2x"Old Skool", 2x"Columbian Gold" and 2x"OG Kush". Planted a couple of weeks ago. All six seeds sprouted and are about an inch or so high now.

I just poked the seeds into little three inch pots filled with Searles Osmocote potting mix, one seed per pot, watered and ten days later they were up.

I put the pots outside during the day then bring them in at night under fluoro for several hours in a foil lined "incubator". I will continue to do this until it warms up outside in Melbourne.

When they start showing roots at the bottom of the pots I will repot into 40cm tubs where they will stay. But if the weather still isnt warm enough I will first repot into 6inch pots before going outdoors to the tubs.

Searles Osmocote potting mix works really well. I stir a small handful of commercial fert into the soil in the bottom of the tubs before I top up the tubs. It seems to give the plants a real boost when their roots reach it.

I recently repotted my poppies into Debco potting mix, becasue Searles was not available, and I must admit that the Searles is better, but the Debco will work well enough. If using Debco, I would recommend bulking up the mix with some compost such as cow manure to open it up a little. Maybe this year I'll experiment with different mixes in the tubs, but really I am sure there will be little if any difference.