Howdy Folks, I was just wondering if anyone has had experience taking cuttings from mature plants? The reason being that i have 5 plants in a tent and they are about a month away from being finished and one of the plants i have been spraying with colloidal silver to get male flowers growing on the female plants, I have done this before and it works really well, the 2 branches i have been spraying have male flowers just starting to appear and if i leave it for too much longer i am going to have 5 plants covered in female seeds. My choices are remove the plant with the male flowers OR put pollination bags over the two branches (which i don't have atm) OR cut the two branches off and put them in some water and hope they survive and keep maturing long enough to get viable pollen, I guess the obvious choice is to remove the plant with the male flowers but i really have no where to put it at this stage so i am hoping someone will tell me that if i cut the branches carefully off and dunk them in some rooting powder they should survive? Has anyone done this with mature woody branches and had them produce roots at this stage of their life?

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Cheers

Ed

good question.

i have taken cuts in flower, theyve rooted instantly, then taken me weeks and weeks to revert them back to veg for a reveg.

i know snipping male branches and placing them into a vase of water does let them last up to a week.

i do know of people that have cut the male branches off, placed the branches into a glass of water and had non-stick grease baking paper underneath the pollen sacks on the bench.

prob still be an idea to keep the lighting hrs the same 12/12, manual move the branches from cupboard to light in room and back again for a few days.

i would only take the branches if they are 2-4 days from dropping pollen tops.

also with the colloidal silver spraying you have done, what ppm is the colloidal silver that you spray?

do you spray the entire branch ? budsites, branch leaves etc all in one ?

interested as you have said you have successfully done this before.

i get mixed answers honestly. no one has a real answer i just ask what your ppm is for my own personal statistics on the subject.

yea but they normally stay alive for a couple days and the sacks open up.

you do run the risk i might add , im sure ive done it a couple years ago 2-3 times when i smoked 4grams a day and cant remember much

i remember both, having the pollen drop and having it not drop. vaguely. not sure if it was viable pollen either.

want some input into it to give myself some more stable data/info about the subject.

everyone gets all wishy washy over the pollen, colloidal, male talk...

its all female seeds only around this site generally.

I've only ever made & given away seed I have pollinated w/ a real regular male plant.

Edited by Carnage

Thanks for your responses guys, Still undecided as to what way to go, I was reading about folks putting clear plastic windows in paper bags to let some light in so may give that a whirl, If that is not satisfactory then i will probably remove that one plant for a while, maybe put in under a CFL or two.

Carnage i have been doing this biz with the colloidal silver for several years and it is very simple, Has never not worked, lately i haven't even bothered to measure the PPM of the silver solution, all i do is put distilled water in a jar and hang the two silver electrodes in it and leave it for around 36 hours, i think the solution ends up around 20 - 25 ppm but I'm sure it has been a fair bit less and still works very well, i start spraying twice a day as soon as the plant starts to develop a few wispy tendrils, Usually a couple of weeks after going 12/12.

Here's a couple of pics of the stage they are at now

post-13088-0-47121800-1498693264_thumb.jpg

post-13088-0-67381500-1498693282_thumb.jpg

post-13088-0-99925600-1498693302_thumb.jpg

Here is the very simple gadget that i have been using to make the silver, The power supply can be pretty much anything around 9 volts, i have used old phone chargers with great success in the past, This one is an old Uniden drill charger i think, It is 9 volts 350mA. If you want any more info on this let me know, No problem at all.

post-13088-0-78207600-1498693936_thumb.jpg

post-13088-0-62211500-1498693950_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Figured i would give the pollen bags a go, I made a couple up out of some sheets of A4 paper and taped some clear windows in, now just need to figure out how to seal the bottoms so the pollen doesn't escape.. Probably just sticky tape along the bottom and seal it to the stalk and cut the stalks off when they have opened up.

post-13088-0-76654000-1498873405_thumb.jpg

post-13088-0-70109600-1498873425_thumb.jpg

Carnage i have been doing this biz with the colloidal silver for several years and it is very simple, Has never not worked, lately i haven't even bothered to measure the PPM of the silver solution, all i do is put distilled water in a jar and hang the two silver electrodes in it and leave it for around 36 hours, i think the solution ends up around 20 - 25 ppm but I'm sure it has been a fair bit less and still works very well, i start spraying twice a day as soon as the plant starts to develop a few wispy tendrils, Usually a couple of weeks after going 12/12.

Here's a couple of pics of the stage they are at now

1 small.jpg

2 small.jpg

3 small.jpg

Here is the very simple gadget that i have been using to make the silver, The power supply can be pretty much anything around 9 volts, i have used old phone chargers with great success in the past, This one is an old Uniden drill charger i think, It is 9 volts 350mA. If you want any more info on this let me know, No problem at all.

4 small.jpg

5 small.jpg

Have you ever had issues with hemis? Was looking a little while ago at doing fem seeds but read that they can have a tendency to hemi easier then a reg female. There was also some talk about it not being true to its fem genetics as its inbred with its self. Wheres @cardrona on this?

i have always made regular seed.

i believe the idea of f2 from feminised pollen (colloidal silver) or s1 even, brings out the parental lineage in the mix.

then you have to find your fav phenos again and cross them to make the next generation.

slowly weeding out the variances.

then you end up w/ solid feminised uniform growing seedstock.