HYDROPONIC SYSTEM 5 19L on ebay

Howdy Folks, I am thinking seriously about purchasing one of these setups off ebay and was just wondering whether any of you have used this setup before and what your opinions might be?

There are 2 setups that i am looking at, one using 9 liter pots and the other using 19 liter pots, would it be worth going for the larger one or would the 9 litre be sufficient?

Also i see they are using the clay balls in these setups, does anyone know if that is all you can use or would some coir do the same job, It seems pretty exe using the clay balls with the larger setup, In fact i think the balls would cost more than the whole system.

I will post a couple of links to the ones i am looking at.

Thanks for your advice guys it is very much appreciated.

Ed

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COMPLETE-5-X-9L-BAGS-80X80-HYDROPONIC-SYSTEM-WATERING-GROWING-KIT-WATER-PUMP-/111592623956?hash=item19fb704f54

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HYDROPONIC-SYSTEM-5-19L-POT-TIMER-WATER-PUMP-FOR-GROW-TENT-GROWING-PLANTS/122011385516?_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107095009%26meid%3D9be288b6aaf1450eae83babded3c30de%26pid%3D100040%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D111950879950

Howdy Folks, I am thinking seriously about purchasing one of these setups off ebay and was just wondering whether any of you have used this setup before and what your opinions might be?

There are 2 setups that i am looking at, one using 9 liter pots and the other using 19 liter pots, would it be worth going for the larger one or would the 9 litre be sufficient?

Also i see they are using the clay balls in these setups, does anyone know if that is all you can use or would some coir do the same job, It seems pretty exe using the clay balls with the larger setup, In fact i think the balls would cost more than the whole system.

I will post a couple of links to the ones i am looking at.

Thanks for your advice guys it is very much appreciated.

Ed

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COMPLETE-5-X-9L-BAGS-80X80-HYDROPONIC-SYSTEM-WATERING-GROWING-KIT-WATER-PUMP-/111592623956?hash=item19fb704f54

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HYDROPONIC-SYSTEM-5-19L-POT-TIMER-WATER-PUMP-FOR-GROW-TENT-GROWING-PLANTS/122011385516?_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107095009%26meid%3D9be288b6aaf1450eae83babded3c30de%26pid%3D100040%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D111950879950

howdy zeuss, have seen them being talked about on here before. not good reviews from what i remember, something about them not being able to handle much weight and caving in under the pots. prob dont want a res that size in ur grow space either

I have used these and they work well......except - water changing is cumbersome and until I figured things out better, I had a lot of breakages. I became angry and gave up on the bloody things but changed my process and things are better now. Yes, they do use more clay balls than what’s necessary, but they are re-usable. Just wash between crops. I found the ring system for the sprayers to be crap, and they don’t really need overhead watering once the roots go into the water. I still use the overhead watering system, mainly to cool them down. I also added a couple of air stones.

If you can work out a way to catch all your runoff , tip it straight back into res if you use coco,

Saves heaps , just adjust ph n ec n I run it through for about a week topping up when needed, then completely changed weekly

Saves heaps when I'm running 50/60 litres a day through them, from this I get about 20 litre runoff maybe more , 20 litres is a good saving 33%

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

• Upvote 1

That bottom tank holds 100 or more litres and is the reservoir tank. The rootball should sit just above the water line and the roots will hang down into the water. It will grow happily like this regardless of how much you do or don’t water it. (So plant your seedlings low in the pot.). Changing it on a weekly basis is impractical. Use a nute meter and keep water fresh with bubble stones. The ‘outlet’ system on this unit is useless, I pump it out. I use the pump and irrigation system that came with it, but I ripped the rings off and just have a naked tube attached to an irrigation spike. I only do this to keep them cool but I don’t know why I bother. I also have some dwc buckets that operate on air stones and nothing else. No pumps, no irrigation - just monitor water levels. The best thing about this unit is that it keeps everything together. If you want to do budget, you’ll also get good results from dwc. Dwc unit of same size would cost apx. $140, but you can take $65 off that if you can get your hands on 15lt buckets (think trades men’s render buckets) WITH lids.

^^^ 20 litre buckets work well, only problem is they still manage to fill the bucket with rootball before a grow is done. My next DWC, I'll be on the lookout for something in the 25-30 litre range.

Bunnings has a 25lt potable water container in their outdoors/camping isle. But I'm not sure this would suit your needs.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app