Love to hear suggestions on this :)

I'll be growing on a block in Qld, scrub, and the main predators are wallabies, roos, and potentially possums.

There are plenty of wallabies, tho' the previous tenants had two Staffies and in the two years they were there, sightings close to the house became almost non-existent.
Now I'm not naive enough to think that this will last long :D

So, in addition to deterrents (endless supply of poo from the above two Staffies) and urine etc, I am curious about fencing?

Ive worked in construction for years, done heaps of fencing, but not like this?

My thoughts were: star pickets, 3 strands of barbed wire (or not? I don't want to injure animals. I'd like a mature crop but don't wanna be a cnut about it) and some chicken wire attached, loose at the top, similar to what they do on highways to prevent animals climbing?

Love any feedback. Good. Bad. Ugly :)

cheers

I grow in scrub (back yard you could say) wallabies, scrub turkeys and what ever else, I've found that after setting up for hole or bed pir put plants in mulch it up then put chicke wire fkat on mulch so nothing can dig it up, also as a deterrent, sounds gross but I fill up old plastic milk bottles with pee longer left the better and leave around area with lid off, stinks yes, it's worked for me over the years good luck

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

absolutely use the barbed wire and star droppers, 

inverted wooden stakes with a sharpened point facing out all way around then barbed wire round stakes encircling plant against roos

and the flattened chick wire around fence stops digging under as M. Brown^ says, as rabbits can easy ring-bark the plants

good luck with it :peace:

Out in da scrub these plans work well

BUT, for any city dwellers considering "...inverted wooden stakes with a sharpened point facing out all way around then barbed wire round stakes encircling plant ..." be careful.

Such setups, including electric fencing, fish hooks in stems etc can be considered 'mantraps' by the po po and thus illegal unless you have a reasonable excuse.

I had an electric fence unit in my backyard, hidden under the bonnet of an old bomb. It was wired to a cage protecting my grow. When the po po came visiting I wasn't home. Young copper grabbed the cage and got one hell of a wollop lol lol lol

The woman I was living with had dogs that liked to dig holes all over the yard, she explained that this was the reason for the electric fence and, although reluctantly, the senior copper accepted this as a legitimate reason for having the electric fence. They still took the plants and still gave us a fine, but no mantrap charge. So be aware.

Merl1n

No wallabies or Roo's enter my 5 acre house yard... patrolled by one large dog that loves to chase.

They often sit in surrounding paddocks but no the dogs boundaries it would seem.

Yeah, I'm ruing the fact I don't have dogs..cos like you, there are huge populations in the vicinity...

I grow in scrub (back yard you could say) wallabies, scrub turkeys and what ever else, I've found that after setting up for hole or bed pir put plants in mulch it up then put chicke wire fkat on mulch so nothing can dig it up, also as a deterrent, sounds gross but I fill up old plastic milk bottles with pee longer left the better and leave around area with lid off, stinks yes, it's worked for me over the years good luck

:) Nah - not gross at all. Besides, the only toilet on my block is and outhouse/long drop, so Im justified ;)

But yeah, cheers, that's an awesome suggestion

absolutely use the barbed wire and star droppers, 

inverted wooden stakes with a sharpened point facing out all way around then barbed wire round stakes encircling plant against roos

and the flattened chick wire around fence stops digging under as M. Brown^ says, as rabbits can easy ring-bark the plants

good luck with it :peace:

Cheers mate - with the flattened chicken wire though, do you mean buried below ground, or just pegged down? I was contemplating mesh below ground (in a trench) but it's fairly labour intensive.

Urine

...and lots of ;)

yea netting buried , well if rabbits are around.

main thing is if there is other green feed around that is easier to get at then they may not worry plants,

but if its a drought year and no green pickings for the local wildlife thats when they start to view your plants with an hungry appetite

:peace: