Local Crab shell alternative

PH buffer = Liming = same same , you say tomeato i say tomato , Lets call the whole thing off ! lol

oyster shell can be searched for using the word Grit 

shell grit for birds , doesn't guarantee pure oyster shell 

but adding the word oyster to the search might help ,

i found a guy on gumtree years ago now & got 20 odd liters of oyster shell grit 

i still have about a third left , go's long ways 

it used to be possible to get a 25kg bag of oyster shell powder from aristopet (in Brissy) - they source it from NZ (excelsior grit). I think it was around $50 for the bag. As itchybromusic said ... lasts donkeys. Not sure if they still sell it though, as it was ages ago. It is different to the one that the Nth Americans mention, as there's is mainly sourced from San Fransisco Bay and is in a fossilised version. 

Another calcium carbonate input could also be blended egg shells - from organic/biodynamic farms. 

Just a heads up if buying the cuttlebone from coles/woolies or a pet store ... ask them where it comes from. There are many contaminated waters and it would be a real shit to have a beautifully mixed soil spoiled by polluted inputs. If they don't know ... please avoid it.

Edited by pug1010
  • Upvote 1

Hey all

Came across these guys the other day when looking for some additives - https://www.organicgardeningsolutions.com.au/

They've got some good stuff by the look of it ;)

i sent them an email a while back saying stop using

Coots name on your compost & stand on your own 2 feet ,

obviously they listened , Not , lol  

it is good though more & more of these organic soil amendment bizz turning up 

very happy to support them , within reason of pricing though 

Hey all

Came across these guys the other day when looking for some additives - https://www.organicgardeningsolutions.com.au/

They've got some good stuff by the look of it ;)

not sure if these guys are the same ... looks similar: https://soillifesolutions.com.au

tried a couple of times to contact them but never got a response.

hopefully both are legit. I try to keep to the plan of only ordering from shops that provide a physical address ... but sometimes it's hard to resist a store that sells hard-to-get products. It would be great to have some local stores selling organic amendments in one place ... at a fair price.:)

Hmm yeah pug the sites do look the same dont they.... I gues its the iPlone syndrome hey itchy :D

lol

not sure if these guys are the same ... looks similar: https://soillifesolutions.com.au

tried a couple of times to contact them but never got a response.

hopefully both are legit. I try to keep to the plan of only ordering from shops that provide a physical address ... but sometimes it's hard to resist a store that sells hard-to-get products. It would be great to have some local stores selling organic amendments in one place ... at a fair price. :)

i'm not sure they are the same , they have some not bad prices 

shame they haven't got back to you , do you know where they are in oz ?

Edited by itchybromusic