I got a couple of chepa centrifugal and inline fans off ebay and a speed controller, but it didn't work well with any of them, fan either didn't run or stopped and started constantly at anything but about 90% power.

They are all so loud I can almost hear them outside, can't have the windows or door to that room open or can hear it all through the house.

Lesson learnt buying cheap shit and trusting the 'specs' advertised. Going to get a HyperFan Stealth or maybe an IsoMax 150 and some insulated ducting for my next run.

Hydro look at the "DB" ratings mate the insulated hyper or Iso is loud on there data sheet cant remember which one it was but look into the Whisper Silencer Fan's they really are quiet and if u go over size and throttle it back u can't hear it

Dont use the cheap growlush "speed controller", quickest way to burn out your fan motor! In simple terms it sends a pulsing signal to your motor effectively turning it on and off to control the speed. As mentioned do it properly and use a veriac so you dont burn out your $200+ fan.

Dont use the cheap growlush "speed controller", quickest way to burn out your fan motor! In simple terms it sends a pulsing signal to your motor effectively turning it on and off to control the speed. As mentioned do it properly and use a veriac so you dont burn out your $200+ fan.

I ran the GrowLush speed controller fine for 3 months on a $80 centrifugal fan it did make the whine but i was never there to hear it

Hydro look at the "DB" ratings mate the insulated hyper or Iso is loud on there data sheet cant remember which one it was but look into the Whisper Silencer Fan's they really are quiet and if u go over size and throttle it back u can't hear it

Thanks, based on the DB info whisper fan does seem a lot quieter, will try to do some more research but that might be the one I get then. Just want something quiet don't care what it costs. Stealth #1 priority.

Righto, thanks everyone for the input... Will have to give it a few days of thinking and looking at prices and see what I come up with. This Hyperfan has to go, I know there are other brands with no whine, as some of you have confirmed ;)

I'll get back with my decision in a few days.

Cheers 

a pulsing signal to your motor effectively turning it on and off to control the speed. As mentioned do it properly and use a veriac so you dont burn out your $200+ fan.

The motor normally gets a pulsing signal. It's an AC motor - alternating current @ 50Hz from my wall I think.

I am sure there have been faulty triacs that have fried motors. A triac designed only for resistive loads would probably make your motor squeal at low speeds and may well cause damage, but these should not do that, although I have heard that growlush are not well liked. The chinese one I am using seems to be fine. No signs of stress which would likely be motor vibration/noise and heat.

I'm not worried but will report back if it does burn out. For anyone who cares, the details copied below are from http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/triac.html

It explains how these triacs are driven to cope with phase shift from inductive loads like our fans.

One way to think about it - the motor coil stores energy in a magnetic field. When any magnetic field collapses, power is generated in the coil so that power is reflected back to the supply - in contrast to resistive loads like halogen light bulbs that just resist and don't push back.

Triac Phase Control

Another common type of triac switching circuit uses phase control to vary the amount of voltage, and therefore power applied to a load, in this case a motor, for both the positive and negative halves of the input waveform. This type of AC motor speed control gives a fully variable and linear control because the voltage can be adjusted from zero to the full applied voltage as shown.

Triac Phase Control

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/power24.gif

This basic phase triggering circuit uses the triac in series with the motor across an AC sinusoidal supply. The variable resistor, VR1 is used to control the amount of phase shift on the gate of the triac which in turn controls the amount of voltage applied to the motor by turning it ON at different times during the AC cycle.

The triac’s triggering voltage is derived from the VR1 – C1 combination via the Diac (The diac is a bidirectional semiconductor device that helps provide a sharp trigger current pulse to fully turn-ON the triac).

At the start of each cycle, C1 charges up via the variable resistor, VR1. This continues until the voltage across C1 is sufficient to trigger the diac into conduction which in turn allows capacitor, C1 to discharge into the gate of the triac turning it “ON”.

Once the triac is triggered into conduction and saturates, it effectively shorts out the gate triggering phase control circuit connected in parallel across it and the triac takes control for the remainder of the half-cycle.

As we have seen above, the triac turns-OFF automatically at the end of the half-cycle and the VR1 – C1 triggering process starts again on the next half cycle.

However, because the triac requires differing amounts of gate current in each switching mode of operation, for example Ι+ and ΙΙΙ–, a triac is therefore asymmetrical meaning that it may not trigger at the exact same point for each positive and negative half cycle.

This simple triac speed control circuit is suitable for not only AC motor speed control but for lamp dimmers and electrical heater control and in fact is very similar to a triac light dimmer used in many homes. However, a commercial triac dimmer should not be used as a motor speed controller as generally triac light dimmers are intended to be used with resistive loads only such as incandescent lamps.

Edited by doctor_nelson

I have some good experience with these fans, I have 2 6's.

All hyper fans have that whine, it's due to the digital type of motors they use.

I thought mine were faulty at first, took them back to the store, we pulled new batch ones and ones from an old batch, all sizes have the whine. Air movement is ultra quite with these things though, if it wasn't for the whine, these could almost be stealth type fans.

what fan noise? ;)

The specs say it generates 46dB and that solves your noise problem?

Goodness me - your old fan must make a very loud racket for that to be an improvement.

Those centrifugal fans generate much higher pressures at any given flow rate compared to axial fans - never had enough duct impedance to need one but they are reputed to be noisy as.

Whatever, if it suits your grow, more power to you!

The specs say it generates 46dB and that solves your noise problem?

Goodness me - your old fan must make a very loud racket for that to be an improvement.

Those centrifugal fans generate much higher pressures at any given flow rate compared to axial fans - never had enough duct impedance to need one but they are reputed to be noisy as.

Whatever, if it suits your grow, more power to you!

He was running a 200mm fan and down graded but I'm with u on this one i donno how on earth that fan would be quiet, the brand makes good quality fans, maybe he has it speed controlled hence problem solved? lol