Hey everyone, so i'm having a problem (and have been since I started growing) with stealth.

I have put almost over $500 into inline, mixed flow and centrifugal fans, to find the right one over the past 3 years.

The inline and centri fans were cheap chinese rip-offs, so I didnt really get to test them well, but am now on my 2nd Phresh Hyperfan http://www.hyper-fans.com/

Started off with a 6" Stealth then sold it and went for an 8" Stealth, in hope to use it at the lowest speed and have minimal noise. They both have this noticable whine, like a jet engine taking off, right in the sweet spot on the speed controller where I want it (about 40%). The other problem is the size of the 8" Stealth. It takes up almost all of my grow space with ducting on either side (1.2x0.9x1.8m tent) along with the carbon filter.

They both are very quiet on the air movement, which im impressed with, but this whining noise is shitting me up the wall. Anyone that comes close to the room the tent is in, would be able to hear it.

Does anyone have a suggestion on an ultra stealthy fan, either inline, mixed flow or centri, that is super quiet and will vent my area?

Cheers 

Hey mate, have you tried using a variac instead of a fan speed controller? that should get rid of the whine provided your fan is decent quality (which it is).

They cost a couple hundred at jaycar but I reckon it would be a sound investment if you are spending the money you have already on fans trying to eliminate the hum :D

Im sure you can get them elsewhere too but that turned up in google - might be able to find a second hand unit or even a new one at a decent price too (hint: ebay!)

Edited by stinkybrownmist

Hey mate, have you tried using a variac instead of a fan speed controller? that should get rid of the whine provided your fan is decent quality (which it is).

They cost a couple hundred at jaycar but I reckon it would be a sound investment if you are spending the money you have already on fans trying to eliminate the hum :D

Im sure you can get them elsewhere too but that turned up in google - might be able to find a second hand unit or even a new one at a decent price too (hint: ebay!)

Hi mate,

no I have not even heard of anything like this. Interesting though ;)

The hyperfan come with a speed controller made for it. For the price of the whole stealth package, i'd expect it to be the best controller for it.. I could be wrong though..

Also its a mixed flow unit. I have heard on other forums, that it is actually the mixed flow/computer type engine, that makes the whine. Bit different to a centri or standard inline, which use ball bearings I believe.....(again correct me if im wrong) So im not sure if something like this would stop the "whine".

Either way, any suggestions on a brand that is quiet in air flow and actual engine noise, stock standard from the shop? When ya spend $300+ on a silenced fan with a speed controller, you dont expect to pay another $250 for another speed controller... Well I dont :P

Cheers

Edited by Qwobbler

I know - bloody ridiculous.

I don't understand it cos I'm not a sparky but basically most fan controllers mess with the power causing voltage spikes which is the hum you hear as it makes the motor start and stop super fast - it's also not good for your fan in the long run

A variac on the other hand is a transformer that allow was you to step your voltage up and down from 0v to 240v super smoothly allowing your fan to run on less power. This is quieter, cheaper (in the long run) and won't bugger up your fan prematurely - the only catch is you can't run your fan so slowly that it can't keep itself cool (this will warm up your growspace and possibly burnout the motor)

Also, I think I saw a new variac delivered for like $120 on eBay? Just a thought mate, best of luck :)

This is interesting.... Did you have a look at the link in the OP? From the info there can you estimate weather or not something like a variac would work on my system, from your understanding? The motor is a "Brushless" motor, if that means anything? and I have a feeling the speed controller with hyperfan is ment to be a similar concept to variac..

Cheers

Edited by Qwobbler

Does anyone have a suggestion on an ultra stealthy fan, either inline, mixed flow or centri, that is super quiet and will vent my area?

Don't have that model but they all make noise and more air means more noise so if you can get by with a much lower air flow rate and if it's a standard single phase AC fan like my Blauberg, you can make it more or less completely silent - as long as you don't need much airflow - using a cheapo chinese triac 240V AC motor speed controller - cost $9 and arrived after about 3 weeks. Continuously variable speed on both the Blauberg speed settings.

Like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/microgrowery/comments/6i3iz0/psa_cheap_triac_speed_controller_works_well_to/

You need to be able to "safely" wire it up - bunnings had all the bits I used except for the box from our kitchen. Happy to advise. Mine's been running for a few days and generates very little heat on the heatsink so I think it's probably safe....but YMMV

Edited by doctor_nelson

Interesting little gadget doctor - According to that reddit link the DIY thingy looks to be v. Similar to what I use - I can get the air noise down to super low levels but it comes with a price - my fan whines like a wee bairn when on the slower settings. That's how I found out about the variac

To the OP: brushless fans are (generally) quieter and less prone to mechanical failure which is great but I think the limiting factor here has more to do with the motor and how it's powered.

It would be worth looking into a variac if all else fails - know any sparkies you could run the idea past?

Also, take everything I say with a grain of salt, I'm bent as shit!

Edit: just looked at the link in the original post and I THINK the speed controller they give you works on the same principle as what the good doctor posted and similar to what I use - in short, I dunno if it's going get rid of your problem

Edited by stinkybrownmist

haha SBM, i respect the bent response :P

I reckon its back to old school tech... I have room for a 10inch fan, as long as it is not 600mm long, like the 8" stealth setup I have (the silencer is huge!) https://www.amazon.com/Hyper-Fan-Stealth-Germination-Equipment/dp/B00S27SQL8

Thanks for the info doc, its something put into the bookmarks incase I want to fuck with this thing.. I feel im better off selling on to a mate that needs it, loosing only 10% what i paid, and getting something that is very quiet..

Serrated Edge, which can are you running mate?

Edited by Qwobbler

I have a can fan max pro 150mm.

It's the one with yellow .

2 speed. 276 CFM and 353cfm.

Mounted in tent sucking through a mountain air 0620 on setting one.

Tent is about 180cfm and yours won't be more than 200ish so a perfect match in my book.

Filter and fan both overkill for such a small space 1x1x1.8 tent but can run it on first setting.

With tent closed up, the clip fan is louder.

I even had to touch it the other day to check it was on, very smooth in operation.

Got it for $220 on sale. Have seen em from 240-300.

Bearings have come on in other areas recently. Impressive bearings in these I reckon.