When to plant seed outdoors

Old timers tip ...

An old italian tomato farmer told me if you are not sure when to plant your seed outdoor after the last frosts in your area ......the best indicator is nature ......and this goes worldwide ....and after years of observation he was spot on........

Wait till you see your first blow fly......blow fly eggs hatch in the ground. ...and they are exactly the perfect temperate for seed germination .

The flies eggs will not hatch till the soil reaches 17 degrees....animals are not the only host[emoji8]

And this country isn't short of flies

http://www.flyboss.com.au/susceptibility/blowfly-biology.php

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Edited by cardrona
  • Upvote 1

i say soon as there is more than 13.5hrs of light a day

i recon germinate in June, grow indoors, harden off during sept early Oct.

Out there around Mid October to start of november.

that way you get all nov , dec & Jan for vegetational growth

but i live down sth on the mainland

plant could be easily 3-4 feet tall by time you plant it in the ground he he....

walk away in April May next year w/ a 12' tall plant ya.

• Upvote 1

Yes I agree its the way to go ...just situation ...for some people...really dictates the date .

I have known plants planted on the first of dec that got to 9 foot...by may

This season I planted the 9x9 ft as a 6in seedling on the last week in Nov, the others were planted as 6in seedlings on the second week of Dec, all them got about 8ft tall

Used to plant a lot earlier, but it just goes to seed like everything else up here, bloke in the local garden shop reckons that's the date , seems spot on, Nov1 start planting seedlings, probably do seeds a bit earlier, La Nina this year, was a late start, every year is a different surprise, lol

Look for the local wattle in your area and take note of when it flowers each year ...it is the true indicator of Australias winter spring change .....not european introduced seasonal calenders that fit european climates....of 4 defined seasons .

Australia has very shorter defined changes through out the year.

Note the flowering times and look at the dates as a reminder of your localized weather change or when it is about too.

Edited by cardrona
  • Upvote 1

I'm in se Qld ,I get them going in July (Sativa's) indoors under light at night,outside in the sun in the day ,round mid September I transplant outside in big holes ,mine begin to bud but quickly revert back to veg, I could sync things but the reveging gives me branching everywhere and monsters by April, I've been doing this for years,keep them mobile till September and 24 hours of natural and artificial light as well .