I'm New. Please be patient :-)

Hi Everyone,

Wow. My head is spinning and I'm very overwhelmed after spending hours on and off the past few nights reading different posts on this forum.

I have never grown anything in the garden. Period. Let allow trying to grow some pot. 

The last time I smoked was a year and a half ago when I went to Europe. Amsterdam of course. I miss smoking and getting tired of cigarettes and not a big drinker so miss the days where I had the occasional puff.

Ok. So I have no idea what I am doing but here is what I am after. Your advice and experience is golden so any help I would appreciate it heaps.

Warning. I have asked for heaps of questions, hence the patients part in my title :-))).

Me: Sydney Region

How much? Only looking to grow 1-2 ounces at the most! for a yearly consumption.

Grow? Everything outside from the seedlings/germination to grow/bloom.

What Seed? Auto / Outside. I'm told for beginner, auto is best and 12/12 dark/light is not essential and I dont have the best lighting outside but can make do.

Plants? 2 outside. Max.

1) Seeds - I have researched this a bit and from what I can see around supply and happiness of customers, I am thinking of seedsman?? 

Question 1. Based on Temps around Sydney and the fact is we in the 1st month of winter, when should I buy the seeds and when should i start germinating. August buy? September germinate??

Question 2. What seeds are easier to grow for absolute ignorant dummies? Looking for something stealthy for obvious reasons so under a metre or so would be good??

Question 3. Germinate in paper towel or little cup of soil?

Question 4. What soil to germinate and how long does it stay in the first little pot and apart from the soil, do I need anything apart from a tad water and some light and mid 20 degree temps?

Question 5. Since I wont be growing inside at all, after seeds germinate, how do i put them outside and remain protected?

2) How many pot stages (pardon the pun) are there?

a) small pot to germinate or grow for 2 weeks B) large plot to be transplanted in OR is there 3) stages of moving it into pots.

Phew. Got that out of the way. Feel nervous. Don't know why. 

Ok some more questions.

1) If I collect rain water to water plants, to I have to worry about PH level of water just to grow a small auto with a few buds?

2) I basically need a shopping list from you guys for the full grow. Very simple and as cheap as possible.

e.g. Soil for seedlings and main potting mix with perlite for actual grow, and the only nutrients I can get away with is a Bloom and Grow combo? For a basic grow for 1-2 outside plants. Nothing fancy.

Can I trust Ozzy Ebay sellers? I saw a post on here where a guy had a hydro setup of 26 plants and he believes his ebay supplier dobbed him in. I am looking at getting the soil say canna coco and a combo grow and bloom and whatever else you all suggest on ebay. A couple of sellers Im looking at are hollandhydroponics, ausponics etc etc.

3) Suggest the 2 (include seedlings) or 3 pots I need or recommend. Size/volume etc. 

Thanks in advance and if you got this far to the end of all this, I thank you in advance.

Timbo.

Hi Everyone,

Wow. My head is spinning and I'm very overwhelmed after spending hours on and off the past few nights reading different posts on this forum.

I have never grown anything in the garden. Period. Let allow trying to grow some pot.

The last time I smoked was a year and a half ago when I went to Europe. Amsterdam of course. I miss smoking and getting tired of cigarettes and not a big drinker so miss the days where I had the occasional puff.

Ok. So I have no idea what I am doing but here is what I am after. Your advice and experience is golden so any help I would appreciate it heaps.

Warning. I have asked for heaps of questions, hence the patients part in my title :-))).

Me: Sydney Region

How much? Only looking to grow 1-2 ounces at the most! for a yearly consumption.

Grow? Everything outside from the seedlings/germination to grow/bloom.

What Seed? Auto / Outside. I'm told for beginner, auto is best and 12/12 dark/light is not essential and I dont have the best lighting outside but can make do.

Plants? 2 outside. Max.

1) Seeds - I have researched this a bit and from what I can see around supply and happiness of customers, I am thinking of seedsman??

Question 1. Based on Temps around Sydney and the fact is we in the 1st month of winter, when should I buy the seeds and when should i start germinating. August buy? September germinate??

Question 2. What seeds are easier to grow for absolute ignorant dummies? Looking for something stealthy for obvious reasons so under a metre or so would be good??

Question 3. Germinate in paper towel or little cup of soil?

Question 4. What soil to germinate and how long does it stay in the first little pot and apart from the soil, do I need anything apart from a tad water and some light and mid 20 degree temps?

Question 5. Since I wont be growing inside at all, after seeds germinate, how do i put them outside and remain protected?

2) How many pot stages (pardon the pun) are there?

a) small pot to germinate or grow for 2 weeks B) large plot to be transplanted in OR is there 3) stages of moving it into pots.

Phew. Got that out of the way. Feel nervous. Don't know why.

Ok some more questions.

1) If I collect rain water to water plants, to I have to worry about PH level of water just to grow a small auto with a few buds?

2) I basically need a shopping list from you guys for the full grow. Very simple and as cheap as possible.

e.g. Soil for seedlings and main potting mix with perlite for actual grow, and the only nutrients I can get away with is a Bloom and Grow combo? For a basic grow for 1-2 outside plants. Nothing fancy.

Can I trust Ozzy Ebay sellers? I saw a post on here where a guy had a hydro setup of 26 plants and he believes his ebay supplier dobbed him in. I am looking at getting the soil say canna coco and a combo grow and bloom and whatever else you all suggest on ebay. A couple of sellers Im looking at are hollandhydroponics, ausponics etc etc.

3) Suggest the 2 (include seedlings) or 3 pots I need or recommend. Size/volume etc.

Thanks in advance and if you got this far to the end of all this, I thank you in advance.

Timbo.

gday and welcome along timbo, mate im only new to growing too but i have been researching it for what seems a fair while now... but im almost ready lol! my advice is u gotta really look into whats gonna work best in ur situation, u can get plenty of suggestions of shopping lists, but ur still gonna have to customize it. do more research mate, the answers to all ur questions are here somewhere on os and considering u dont wanna grow too much u shouldn't have any probs sorting something out soon... other than the weather [emoji6] all the best..

Thanks Sooty. Happy with any suggestions mate :-). I've had some pretty crappy weed so I'm not setting the bar or my expectations not too high lol. I hear what you are saying. Any example outside shopping lists would be good. I know everyone has their opinion. All good. Feel free to answer just 1 of the 5,000 questions I've asked  :unknw: . Thanks again for your reply Mr S. 

Here's a start!

1. Lots of choices, never used Seedsman but have had success with overseas banks, just read their shipping policies and garauntees - sorry not much help :) I reckon fast flowering indicas are a better learning plant than autos. Normally pretty hardy, better yielding, not auto.

2. Start them inside under the best light you can and time it so they are a few weeks old when you start getting longer days (you should be able to research and guesstimate this) then get them outside. I used to live in Sydney so unless you're way out west frost shouldn't be a drama

Note: you will end up with big plants unless you limit their time or space (generally speaking). If stealth is an issue you'll need to take this into consideration.

You mention coco and soil. Are you growing in pots wt coco (basically hydro) or soil? can't help much more without knowing this...

Cheers!

No worries stinky. Good info about the seeds. I didn't know that so looks like my seed choices may have to change :-) to indicate fast flowering ☘️!!

Nahhh not out west mate. In suburbia. Regarding the inside seeds. A Fluro lamp for 12 hours a day?

Well take the space and size into consideration. Yeah looking at soil in pots outside. Most appropriate soil and nutrient combos if you recommend any .. some bloom and grow brands?

Thanks guys for your help!! Didn't expect such quick responses. Awesome.

Tumbi.

Sent from my iPad using OZ Stoners

No worries stinky. Good info about the seeds. I didn't know that so looks like my seed choices may have to change :-) to indicate fast flowering ☘️!!

Nahhh not out west mate. In suburbia. Regarding the inside seeds. A Fluro lamp for 12 hours a day?

Well take the space and size into consideration. Yeah looking at soil in pots outside. Most appropriate soil and nutrient combos if you recommend any .. some bloom and grow brands?

Thanks guys for your help!! Didn't expect such quick responses. Awesome.

Tumbi.

I meant Timbo. Farking iPad auto correct.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Lets be realistic ... Your not a gardener ,So simple and basic is the best to start.

Get a large 400-500mm pots and some really good potting mix, ready to use stuff ..Tell the guy at the shop you want to grow tomatoes in pots .. 

Order a quick flowering plant Photo period Feminised .. 

Put 2 seeds in each pot in mid to late September and cover with clear plastic .. Wait for them to break ground and a leaf to form take of plastic , pick the strongest in each pot and pull the other.. 

water when needed ( as your new buy a moisture meter you sick in the soil ) 

Let them grow ,maybe use a little seasol per water once they are a foot tall..

They wont be huge, but they will grow and produce what you want.. 

Keep learning ,but I think simple and basic is the best way to start .. Just remember its a weed it will grow ,leave the advanced growing Technic's for later grows.. 

Edited by Traviss
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Cardrona and Traviss. The advice keeps coming. Love it. Yep. I will keep reading into start of spring and no doubt you guys will be tired of me by then.

Traviss. Thanks for taking out the bullshit and getting right to the point. Simple and basic is what I'm after to start. Was looking at those water meters online. Good idea. Seasol was on my list as well. So getting ahead of myself for grow and bloom products lol.

So canna soil ok to buy off eBay or safer to get the best quality potting mix at Bunnings? So should I mix say 30 perlite with 70 soil as well?

Thanks guys. Legends.

Timbo