Winter growing Victoria

I live in the Vic Mallee - you'd struggle to flower outdoors here during winter unless you could overnight the plants indoors. Don't reckon the growth rates would be brilliant with the cool temps either.

Having said that, the lovely sunny days we've had recently have had me wishing I was doing just that lol

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

haha yeah its not been too bad. I know I'll never yield big in winter but moreso wanted to see how successful it was. The smaller seedling im bringing in at night as of tonight.

First you have to veg it indoors and then put it in a greenhouse. Low temps stunt growth and the light hours wont let it grow .

I have tried a few times but as soon as you get a few too many cold nights below 5 ,they struggle and thats in the green house, in the open cold dewy nights, cold winds etc etc they just seem to stop or die and one frost its fucked. 

Greenhouse with a tube heater or a heat mat might help but I cant see you getting much out of it .

HTH..

It can be done, depends if you are close to the coast or not, and your gardining skills

depends on the strain as well, we used to all do winter grows when I was a young bloke, didn't know any better then

From my experience you are better to try if you are going to .....to make it through winter and put it out in spring ....just get a head start ...I have about 8 going and they are still sprouting in NSW   temps down to 8 overnight ....just using  a bottle cover ....and remove it if the day is ok

bigger ones work well and are everywhere ...

post-60532-0-42820800-1496748130_thumb.jpg

post-60532-0-18585400-1496748172_thumb.jpg

Just remove the lids on hotter days to allow some fresh air in and some moisture out or take it off in the warmer part of the day and place it back on at night .

It will give you a twelve week head start on spring

The yield if anything will be minimal and not that great if left uncovered...or a frosty death....but the plusses will be

1 a head start

2 It might show its sex

3 You can take  F cuttings off it early on in spring  

4 You can be a lot harder in your culling and get a good look at next seasons best .And they can be put in the ground asap in spring .......come the warmer weather they will be pumping 

5 And have a big head start compared if you do a spring seeding or your other alternative is indoors

Edited by cardrona
  • Upvote 1

From my experience you are better to try if you are going to .....to make it through winter and put it out in spring ....just get a head start ...I have about 8 going and they are still sprouting in NSW temps down to 8 overnight ....just using a bottle cover ....and remove it if the day is ok

bigger ones work well and are everywhere ...

attachicon.gifdownload.jpg

attachicon.gifseedlings-greenhouse.jpg

Just remove the lids on hotter days to allow some fresh air in and some moisture out or take it off in the warmer part of the day and place it back on at night .

It will give you a twelve week head start on spring

The yield if anything will be minimal and not that great if left uncovered...or a frosty death....but the plusses will be

1 a head start

2 It might show its sex

3 You can take F cuttings off it early on in spring

4 You can be a lot harder in your culling and get a good look at next seasons best .And they can be put in the ground asap in spring .......come the warmer weather they will be pumping

5 And have a big head start compared if you do a spring seeding or your other alternative is indoors

thats a bloody great idea! I think I'll give that a crack, thanks mate.

• Upvote 1