• Register Now!
Grass Outdoors Shade Purple Orange Blueberry Watermelon Apple Banana Strawberry Chocolate
WARNING/DISCLAIMER The OZ Stoners cannabis community contains information regarding cannabis & other drugs; it is designed for mature (18+) audiences only. This site in no way condones the use of cannabis by minors. The content here within this cannabis community is for educational & entertainment purposes only. Any buying/selling or trading of illegal cannabis seeds, clones, flowers, resin or oil is strictly prohibited within this cannabis community. - Login to remove this message
Mars Hydro Store - LED Lighting and Grow Tents - Hydroponics
Hy-Gen Sea Essentials Unique Blend of Sea Plants

Photo

Buddha strain

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

cardrona

cardrona

Lfdjhbkma...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2044 Posts:
  • Interests:Don Burke loves cannabis ;)
  • Cannabis Use:None
  • Fav. Type:Raw (i.e. Heads), Hashish, Oil Concentrates
  • Fav. Heads:None

Does anybody remember the smoko that was going around in the mid to late 80's called buddha?

And if so what were it's origins

I know there are many variants of it with many names 

Thai Buddha 

Buddha 

Buddha stick 

Laughing buddha etc all

OS strains 

But it had a very distinct flavour and smell very different from the straight thai 

Does anybody remember it and or know of any strains that are the same or still carry the same taste and smell ?

I know Soma does some and many cheese strains have buddha in the name ..and a million others .just curious as to who has memories of it.

And originally it might have been a specific strain type from thailand 

but seems to now be  a descriptive word used in a similar fashion as " kush "

Say thanks with some bits:  bc1q2u6zm8fvmf9n6zv0kdtq0gsvhjfhdcysfss94j  (BTC Only)

Harry Bootlace

Harry Bootlace

Couch Locked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1247 Posts:

I remember but cannot help. Never grew it. Just had other peoples.

Shit I think the bogans where i was called it PURPLE BUDDHA THAI STICK, haha

Mr Brown

Mr Brown

Stoned

• Members
  • 870 Posts:
Can't help either, just remember it being thai stick , nice buds on a stick with cotton around it really good smoko, lol reminds me went to a triple j joint effort at Qld uni to see the flowers before they changed their name to ice house, stopped at the brekky creek had a couple of double rum and cokes taced off to uni smashed a couple of thai coness went inside hit me big time blacked out on dance floor good shit

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

cardrona

cardrona

Lfdjhbkma...

• Members
  • 2044 Posts:
Thanks i know it falls under the thai umbrella but was very different in taste and smell

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Serrated edge

Serrated edge

Drug War Veteran

• Members
  • 6038 Posts:
  • Interests:Weed and mates
  • Cannabis Use:Rec. & Medicinal
  • Fav. Type:Raw (i.e. Heads)
  • Fav. Heads:"Hydroponic"
  • Fav. Lighting: All
Saw lots in the 70s came in compressed bundles that needed to be steamed apart ,were tied in very fine stands of what I was led to believe was stripped from the stems of the plants. Had a thin strip of ,,, I think it was bamboo,,with the bud wrapped around it and tied on .

Unless you had the original strains and same process ,I doubt you'd find the same smell and taste.

It was a good smoke but I think it was good for its time , deffinatly better than a lot of the seedy shit that got around in those days.

Even the compressed weed nowadays in Thailand doesn't live up to Buddha sticks of old .

Never tried the strain they call Buddha though. It isn't called Buddha because of any similarity to the sticks is it ??

I would like to grow a good Thai if I was growing outdoors though.

Saw a few rip offs with local bud and leaf tied around bamboo skewers and tied up in cotton .they were usually sold at low end of our market.

Harry Bootlace

Harry Bootlace

Couch Locked

• Members
  • 1247 Posts:

I knew a woman in the 80's whose job was making those thai sticks for some biker gang or something.

paid per stick. She is dead now, so can't ask. But I don't think she knew, just sat there wrapping them up all day.

mrmatey

mrmatey

Just Sprouting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 Posts:
  • Cannabis Use:Rec. & Medicinal
  • Fav. Type:Raw (i.e. Heads)
  • Fav. Heads:"Hydroponic"
  • Fav. Lighting: LED COB

I remember but cannot help. Never grew it. Just had other peoples.

Shit I think the bogans where i was called it PURPLE BUDDHA THAI STICK, haha

yeah i remember that. It was one of the first smokes i had as a teenager.

Some seeds of that would be great.

cardrona

cardrona

Lfdjhbkma...

• Members
  • 2044 Posts:

Some were rolled or dipped in opium ...like the brown compressor

I think I have confused you ...the strain I am trying to find was in bud form and not in sticks but was being called buddha it may have just been called that at the time with no relation to the thai buddha as it wasnt in stick form and was definitely grown here not OS.

Thai is nice to grow but many now are hybrids.

The originals were hermaphrodites..not overly seedy but still some seeds ..many were crossed to reduce the maphy traits.

The original thai seeds are very small

I believe the thai came to Oz had the hermaphrodite traits breed out with crossing the hazes with it and thats where we got the mango haze lines from and some of these in the early days were being sold as buddha? 

I will post some pics as you can see the trait types all intermixed and there is really noting else it could be unless anybody else has idea's ?

cardrona

cardrona

Lfdjhbkma...

• Members
  • 2044 Posts:

Mangos'

Mango Haze ,

Thai,

MamaThai,

Mullum,

African,

Through my research you can trace them back more off the leaf than the flower....originating in the thinner singular traits of the original thai...then the introduction of the haze and nepali/pakistani/indian/ genes to the mullum 

I think the buddha that I am thinking of is a thai x mango haze.... from the early to late 80's.... and passed off as buddha /,thai buddha 

which were a mixture of all of them depending on the traits and the time of harvest 

some got massive some stayed tighter and smaller

Attached Files

Edited by cardrona, 29 May 2017 - 10:44 PM.

pedro de pacas

pedro de pacas

tnuc

• Members
  • 11056 Posts:
  • Interests:maryjane
  • Cannabis Use:Hemp/Fibre
  • Fav. Heads:100% Organic
  • Fav. Lighting: fire lighter
  • Fav. Nutrients:alcohol

Remember the name well, there was a lot of shit comming in from PNG at the time that was called Buddha.

There was also some real nice killer weed coming out of Vic at the time , people started calling that Buddha as well

Then there was a lot of shit coming down from the NSW, 10 lb's a week made into grams, and passed of as Buddha  

my moneys on the PNG shit as the real Buddha

Best smoke was the Vic shit

Memory is a bit hazy, was a pisshead as well as a pot head back then

CYCO Platinum Series Hydroponics Nutrients & Additives
Mars Hydro Store - LED Lighting and Grow Tents - Hydroponics
WARNING/DISCLAIMER The OZ Stoners cannabis community contains information regarding cannabis & other drugs; it is designed for mature (18+) audiences only. This site in no way condones the use of cannabis by minors. The content here within this cannabis community is for educational & entertainment purposes only. Any buying/selling or trading of illegal cannabis seeds, clones, flowers, resin or oil is strictly prohibited within this cannabis community.