Need help on How to keep your hydroponic room clean of diseases and pe

Bleach is good, I use it regularly to clean my setup

I have in the past used peroxide too BUT you've got to be VERY BLOODY CAREFUL using it.

I got a few drops on my hand and received a horrible nasty chemical burn. Painful as all hell.

Bleach is safer, kills moulds and pollen and with a decent rinse after scrubbing, will clean up real well. 

• Upvote 1

Bleach is good, I use it regularly to clean my setup

I have in the past used peroxide too BUT you've got to be VERY BLOODY CAREFUL using it.

I got a few drops on my hand and received a horrible nasty chemical burn. Painful as all hell.

Bleach is safer, kills moulds and pollen and with a decent rinse after scrubbing, will clean up real well.

Yep I'm using both ATM. I was more pointing towards should I clean my shoes with a disinfectant before entering my room etc? Also how can I keep my grow room disinfected at all times?

How far should I go? I want to take all precautions I can.

So long as you're careful and thoughtful not to introduce pathogens, insects, etc, a good thorough clean with bleach between each cycle should be enough.  Just need to pay attention to general cleanliness in there, and keep an eye out for any developing problems and hope to catch them before they get established.  And also pay attention to anything you introduce into the environment to make sure it's not carrying anything, or set up in a manner that could lead to problems, such as light getting into nutrient solution via clear tubing for example.

And yes, if you are entering the grow room, clean or remove shoes and clothing, hands etc if you have been in contact with outside gardens.

• Upvote 1

That's interesting Itchy, and I have no idea if it's true or not?  First time I cleaned a tent I was worried about mould and spores, and have a clear memory of reading on a bleach bottle it could be used for cleaning mould, but I suppose if what you say is correct they could still claim it's being cleaned so long as they don't claim it kills it.  Would be interesting to find out for certain.

I also usually go through and wash the bleach off afterwards with a vinegar solution, because I don't like the idea of having bleach residue anywhere near my plants.

• Upvote 1

Bleach kills mold if it comes into contact with it. The spores and allergens from mold are neutralized as well. Bleach will kill mold growing on non-porous surfaces like glass, tiles, bathtubs and counter tops. However bleach cannot completely kill mold growing in non-porous materials like drywall and wood.

• Upvote 1

http://cleaningallstars.com/the-truth-about-mold-removal-bleach-vs-vinegar/

For some of you it may surprise you to learn that using bleach as an effective mold killer is a myth. Why would it not kill mold? It sure smells strong enough to kill anything,

however, the real facts are that using bleach on any porous surfaces (i.e; drywall, wood etc) only takes away the discoloration, not the mold itself.

Mold is the name of a giant family of microorganisms and it can be found every where, inside and outside & especially in your home! Mold enjoys dark moist areas (i.e; under your kitchen sink)

and loves living in the same temperatures we enjoy (between 68-86 degrees) However, it seems no matter the conditions mold grows where it is least wanted. On your walls, under your carpet and in your cabinets.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/03/29/3466721.htm

Removing mould

If you already have mould at your house the best way to get rid of it is with a good scrub of a vinegar or alcohol solution.Dr Winsor recommends eight parts vinegar to two parts water and a microfibre cloth.

"So you'd have three buckets: you'll have your 80 per cent vinegar solution [for killing the mould] and you'll have one that's half that concentration [for rinsing your cloth] and then you'll have one that is just water [for the second rinse]," he explained.

Do not forget to patch test on surfaces before cleaning them.Dr Winsor does not recommend bleach for mould removal as it does not kill the mould, it just bleaches the colour out.

• Upvote 1

I have no problem believing it doesn't kill mould on porous surfaces, but does it still kill it on non porous surfaces?  For a lot of us this is an important issue, as most of us grow in grow tents, the surfaces of which are non porous, as are the surfaces in a lot of our grow containers, plumbing, pumps etc.

Very good info re other stuff that may get used in grow rooms made out of wood etc.  Also worth mentioning the importance of lifting tent floors up and cleaning underneath, where porous surfaces can often exist, and paying attention to seams etc in the tent. 

• Upvote 1