Year of the bugs

FAR OUT,I've had a pretty shity grow season this year i have never experienced invasions of bugs like I have this year,never ever,I've been dealing with spider mites ever since they started flowering along with caterpillars, snails,ants,grubs,moths,grasshoppers, spiders of all sorts and don't forget friggin mould,just started to think I'm getting on top of things and bamm I go to check the girls this arvo and find I've got a whole new set of problems, now I've got aphids and some other bugs that I'm not even sure what they are?I took a couple of pics of the little bastards before going on a killing spree,I recognize the aphids just not surepost-60506-149374075488_thumb.jpegpost-60506-149374081215_thumb.jpeg bout the other lot?
  • Upvote 1

well ill be fcked & burnt !  thats disgusting

you may well be advised to start farming insects

are there no other green plants around and they all gather on your plants?

hard to eradicate once in residence eh .. chilli, garlic & tobacco spray or Azamax maybe

Yes Ford I'm going to be a very busy queeny,I have been harvesting for about 3weeks at my own pace but had been leaving some because it just wasn't quite there yet but bugger it I'll take most of it out today I'd reckon,its so close now anyway to close to lose it to bloody bugs

lol thanks frazz I have produced some narly bugs this year,worst year ever to date and yeah there's hundreds or green plants around here they could be on but like me there they seem to like the canna the most,can't blame em,iv been up most of the night and all morning try to find the source of the outbreak and sort some shit out but I think the main source of the aphids is coming from my fruit orchard,they seem to be on all the new growth of my citrus trees and also found them in abundance in my hibiscus trees so I guess that's just a bit more work to try and get done, I need a harvest buddy lol someone to help me get through the large amount of work I'll be doing over the next few weeks lol I'll get there and I know it will be worth it
  • Upvote 1

Hey there  GQ

some thoughts for next year & hope you don't take it the wrong way , just offering another way to look at it which in turn could change thinking on approach to IPM

what if i said to you the bugs are doing there job or Insects are nature's garbage collectors , what if the bugs job was to remove unhealthy plant from the system B4 animals , humans & other plants get to eat or breed with them

mother natures system would fall apart if plants are constantly attacked & are unable to fend for themselves or healthy plants having to breed with unhealthy plant would degrade any cultivar over time 

there is science out there now that says plants can defend themselves if they are photosynthesizing at above 60% capacity , most of our plant are well below 60% 

at below 60 the plants are calling for help in many diff ways , though the roots & via air = gasses , for one of a better word , these gasses are like a All You Can Eat neon sign to bugs ,

above 60 & the All You Can Eat sign is off = no more gasses 

the only way a plant can increase the amount of photosynthesis is though plant health & the good thing about plant health , it drags all the good stuff with it , nutrient density , smell , taste , shelf life / storability & yield 

not forgetting the plants own protection , & btw the plant knows it's having a prob or about to have a prob way B4 we do 

maybe next year look into how to keep the plant more healthy rather then what we all do & focus on food , keeping in mind 90% of what a plant takes up in the wild is directly related to microorganisms

consuming each other & organic matter in the soil or more so on top of the soil = mulch layer 

here's a vid of a guy talking about a tomato crop which has some weeds in the crop , 

the weeds are being attacked right beside tomatoes which have no bugs at all 

https://youtu.be/ZNVI-ZNNKi4

I'm not & don't claim to be perfect , had some moth / pillar probs myself this year

but the more i focus on health the better each year gets , of cause we're all at the mercy

of our cultivar choice & mother natures early summer , short summer , long summer , dry summer , wet summer ! 

good luck with the rest of your harvest

good growing to ya 

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1

Hi itchy thanks for your reply no way do I take it the wrong way in fact I 100% agree with what your saying,all bugs play there roll in the environment and certainly plant health is vital,its interesting what you say about photosynthesis above 60% because the only plants that seem to be affected are the one's that I have planted in full shade which I did as an experiment just to see what would come of it,the ones in full sun seem unaffected also after having a really really good inspection in the sun today I've realised they are not in the buds just the leaf and only the spent ones like you said so it does look as though they are actually doing me a favor by getting rid of the crap,I think I just panicked because I thought I was going to lose all my hard work but seems that Isn't the case after all bit of a false alarm lol anyway I'm still going to go ahead with harvest just to be on the safe side and just leave the unaffected Sativa's just one more week and all should be good,hopefully
  • Upvote 1

For those of us that haven't had the pleasure of dealing with mould, here's what your looking for sometimes you may only see one tiny dead leaf but that's all you need to see to know that something's not right and usually upon further inspection by looking deep into the buds you'll find dead mouldy buds like these ,if you do find mould don't muck around with it just carefully cut it out and remove the affected buds or if its bad just remove the whole branch in an effort to minimize the risk of contaminating your healthy buds,hopefully that's the last of the mould for me this year with a bit of luck but I don't like my chances