Seeds The Untold Story

No never made my own but have brought the biodynamic soil activator = preps 500 to 508 

def think the best compost you can make or buy is a biodynamic made one 

" I believe a similar preparation can be made from the old material found in old barrels in girths of tree's " 

most likely , lots of fungal associations with most trees , all about the indigenous microorganisms in "your hood" 

they're already used to the conditions at your place & already speak each other's language , better to collect these than buying a bag of mixed benne's 

ever heard of hugelkultur beds

Just wondering if you or anyone on here knows much (or anything) about Hugelkultur container gardening? Eg. doing the Hugelkultur concept but in a large pot/container.

From what I have read it looks beneficial and do-able but you either need to find already rotted wood or let it rot for a season before planting so the process of the wood rotting doesn't deplete all the Nitrogen. The other idea I read is to chuck grass clippings or something high in Nitrogen between the wood/compost and your soil.

Just wondering if you or anyone on here knows much (or anything) about Hugelkultur container gardening? Eg. doing the Hugelkultur concept but in a large pot/container.

From what I have read it looks beneficial and do-able but you either need to find already rotted wood or let it rot for a season before planting so the process of the wood rotting doesn't deplete all the Nitrogen. The other idea I read is to chuck grass clippings or something high in Nitrogen between the wood/compost and your soil.

never made one so not the best person to speak about them but i'm thinking that would be a lill difficult to do 

mainly re size , it's the same with no till , very hard to keep the soil moisture consistent in small amounts

conditions can change to quickly for a small pot to keep up with that change

i think it would be the same in a Hugel bed / pot , being the wood is like a sponge for moisture &

could be getting to much or not enough very easy without size on it's side

all about the life in the soil , if there condition alter to constantly they pack up & move on

but the more they stay , the more they control there environment  

Edited by itchybromusic

Thanks for the response. I did wonder that. Might have a play at some point with a plant I dont care so much about.

Found this blog though which I thought was interesting. http://lowcostvegetablegarden.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/vertical-hugelkultur-eliminates-wilt.html

Even if not trying to do hugelkultur so to speak, that idea may help with water retention if you dont want to go to the effort of building a wicking bed or purchasing a green pot etc.

I'm just clutching at straws really until I have a better house/space where I can experiment the way I actually want! Right now I'm dealing with mostly pavers so just trying to make the most of container gardening.

Thanks for the response. I did wonder that. Might have a play at some point with a plant I dont care so much about.

Found this blog though which I thought was interesting. http://lowcostvegetablegarden.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/vertical-hugelkultur-eliminates-wilt.html

Even if not trying to do hugelkultur so to speak, that idea may help with water retention if you dont want to go to the effort of building a wicking bed or purchasing a green pot etc.

I'm just clutching at straws really until I have a better house/space where I can experiment the way I actually want! Right now I'm dealing with mostly pavers so just trying to make the most of container gardening.

that's def the way to go , test , & not put all the eggs in one basket 

that was an interesting read mate

sip's Vs hukelkultur , they both offer benefits , in an area with less rain fall maybe sip's are a better choice

they share allot of the same principles , either way love to see your outcome if you give it a go

some would say clutching at straws , i would say leaning , keep in mind edison can tell you how to make 

a incandescent light bulb , well maybe not in 2017 :) , but he can also tell you a thousand ways how to not

make the bulb 

where would we be without fuck ups & failures 

PS , there are plenty of DIY sip vids , cutting a 1,25lt coke bottle in half , turning the top half upside down 

& sitting it in the bottom half gives you an instant seedling sip 

Edited by itchybromusic

that's def the way to go , test , & not put all the eggs in one basket 

that was an interesting read mate

sip's Vs hukelkultur , they both offer benefits , in an area with less rain fall maybe sip's are a better choice

they share allot of the same principles , either way love to see your outcome if you give it a go

some would say clutching at straws , i would say leaning , keep in mind edison can tell you how to make 

a incandescent light bulb , well maybe not in 2017 :) , but he can also tell you a thousand ways how to not

make the bulb 

where would we be without fuck ups & failures 

PS , there are plenty of DIY sip vids , cutting a 1,25lt coke bottle in half , turning the top half upside down 

& sitting it in the bottom half gives you an instant seedling sip 

Haha love your logic itchy. I'll post results if I ever do anything :)