Starting totally fresh need help starting off again

I know what use are saying but after a case of root rot A member here suggested I use tap water instead as the root rot could have been set in from dirty water etc front the rain water tank etc...... is this not true? So it means if I was to use rain water it would need to be treat anyway?

They would have been suggesting a possibility of how root rot could have been initiated. If you have shit rain water it's obviously going to be shit for your plants. If you scooped up some dirty shit water from a dam, you'd expect it to be dirty shit water for your plants. Just test it before using. Like I said, my rain water has pH of 6 & next to nothing ppm. Couldn't get much better.

Really? Rain water can have ill effects on a plant?

Fuck this I'm going to sleep!

As stated above, he had it suggested that there may have been some nasties in his tank, which is a storage issue rather than rainwater.

There is also a school of thought that with hydroponics, the low mineral count in rainwater can lead to some problem or another, might have been mainly cal mag but I really can't remember the details.  But it's the sort of thing that can be overcome fairly easily.

But in soil, I'd go rainwater all the time if it was an option, all plants love it so much more than tap water.

As stated above, he had it suggested that there may have been some nasties in his tank, which is a storage issue rather than rainwater.

There is also a school of thought that with hydroponics, the low mineral count in rainwater can lead to some problem or another, might have been mainly cal mag but I really can't remember the details. But it's the sort of thing that can be overcome fairly easily.

But in soil, I'd go rainwater all the time if it was an option, all plants love it so much more than tap water.

This is what I'm suspecting happened to poor ol sal. I started using rainwater over tap and I think she starved from nothing in the water at all. Lesson learnt. Rainwater in hydro definitely needs some nutes to kick em off imo

Ok guys cheers, in my opinion I'm better of with tap water being filtered as I don't have a steady supply of rain water anyways.....if I did I would use rain water as I understand plants love it, but it has to come from a clean source or be treated yeah!

Also I have a cop living next door to me so running buckets back and forth is fucking suss as in my books. I gotta keep my grow stealth as possible this is another reason I'd prefer tap water as I have access to it without the cop seeing what I'm doing, with my rain water the copper can see exactly what I'm doing etc...so yeah.....some might say I'm crazy growing next door to a cop but ATM it's proved all good for now. I just gotta keep my stealth up a little more then others hence my fuckn paranoia

Edited by medicalgrower

Like many members I too have used rainwater previously. I had a marked decline in plant health.

Most nute manufacturers take the nute content in tap water into consideration during their processes and therefore reduce certain salts to compensate.

So by using a lesser ppm water, thinking this would be better, I was in fact starving the plant of those particular nutrients.

The rainwater was untreated, so it could have had pathogens from bird shit. It was stored in a steel tank, so the dissolved metal salts (zinc and iron) may have ODed the plant.

Now, I always use tapwater. I have a 200ltr reservoir which I fill, leave over night, with an airstone, to allow the chlorine gas to dissipate before I use it.

Haven't had a problem since.

Merl1n

P.S. Copper living next door????? that's just asking for trouble. He gets a wiff of it... ...you're screwed

Edited by merl1n