Starting totally fresh need help starting off again

Ok..first H2o2 and chlorine, ( pythoff ) both dissolve out of the water in a short period. You can use pool chlorine in drinking water tanks .

H2o2 dissolves out as oxygen so great in the root zone.

This is my routine on tank water..

I use whole house filters from the tank including charcoal, then it goes into a 70lt  aerated storage tank in my room  .I use pythoff at 2ml / 10lt and let sit for a day or 2. 

In a clean system before plants I fill and run H2o2 for 24 hours through all the plumbing, no plants. I then add nutrients and plants the next day.

I can see my roots so only use it if required during grow and I dose often in hot condition in summer for the oxygen and protection

Pyth is everywhere like mold give it the right conditions and it will take hold and ruin your crop. its mostly in soil and and dirty water supplies but can be airborne in humid condition.

HTH's

For every kilolitre (1,000 litres) of water in your tank, add either: • 40 mL of liquid pool chlorine (sodium hypochlorite - 12.5% available chlorine), or • 8 grams of granular pool chlorine (calcium hypochlorite – 65% available chlorine).

http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/188707/your_private_drinking_water_supply.pdf

Cheers mate, okay first off exactly what house filter do u use? What did it cost you ? Can u get a link to one please? I'm interested in getting one for sure!!! Also going to get some Pythoff.. I'm going to run H2o2 in my new system I just setup after I clean it down with bleach to be %100 sure there is no root rot shit around even though it's a new system it's been around my old system...

Thanks for that info...

Cheers thanks for the great reply....lots of help there thanks......

Also what kind of details do u need provided to provide more detail?

I have just setup my new dwc system so I'll be going down that path my partner hates coco....

After cleaning everything I'm planning on starting some seeds and buying some clones.

The extra info was really just what nutrients you're using so we could see if they could be used with coco. I didn't want to go on about it as this thread is about treating root rot in DWC.

Ok..first H2o2 and chlorine, ( pythoff ) both dissolve out of the water in a short period. You can use pool chlorine in drinking water tanks .

H2o2 dissolves out as oxygen so great in the root zone.

This is my routine on tank water..

I use whole house filters from the tank including charcoal, then it goes into a 70lt  aerated storage tank in my room  .I use pythoff at 2ml / 10lt and let sit for a day or 2. 

In a clean system before plants I fill and run H2o2 for 24 hours through all the plumbing, no plants. I then add nutrients and plants the next day.

I can see my roots so only use it if required during grow and I dose often in hot condition in summer for the oxygen and protection

Pyth is everywhere like mold give it the right conditions and it will take hold and ruin your crop. its mostly in soil and and dirty water supplies but can be airborne in humid condition.

HTH's

For every kilolitre (1,000 litres) of water in your tank, add either: • 40 mL of liquid pool chlorine (sodium hypochlorite - 12.5% available chlorine), or • 8 grams of granular pool chlorine (calcium hypochlorite – 65% available chlorine).

http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/188707/your_private_drinking_water_supply.pdf

That's some great info!

I calculate my own nutrient formulas and when I put in 1000 litres of water and 8 g of 65 % calcium hypochlorite it gives me a chlorine concentration of about 2.5 ppm. The document also shows this factor of 2 I keep seeing as it states the concentration should be 5 ppm free chlorine. I think it has to do with the Cl2 molecule having 2 chlorine atoms, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, that happens to be the same concentration that I've tried in a sort of "bubble" type cloner/propagtor. Even though I was just playing around with various things I was still getting roots on some cuttings in less than a week and the temperature I measured on one occasion was over 30 C.

I have no idea if you could run a concentration that high in DWC. It's a bit difficult to calculate the "Clear Rez" recipe as I'm not 100% sure what the available chlorine content is. If I assume 65 % available chlorine I calculate 0.133 ppm so I guess it should be equal to about 0.25 ppm free chlorine. If you sterilise your water with the details Traviss gave, let the chlorine dissipate, then maintain around 0.25 ppm free chlorine in your reservoir using the "Clear Rez" recipe, that would probably be a good start. I don't know how well this would work with seedlings, however, it should be fine for cuttings considering I was using a concentration 10x higher.

Just to be clear, the "Clear Rez" recipe I'm referring to is about 1 gramme (or 1/4 teaspoon) of calcium hypochlorite in 1 gallon of water and then adding 1 ounce of that concentrate to 5 gallons of nutrient solution.

This equates to 1 gramme (or 1/4 teaspoon) of calcium hypochlorite in 2.4 litres of water and then adding 1 ml of that concentrate per litre of nutrient solution.

I'd keep any concentrate in a dark cool place if possible.

Cheers mate, okay first off exactly what house filter do u use? What did it cost you ? Can u get a link to one please? I'm interested in getting one for sure!!! Also going to get some Pythoff.. I'm going to run H2o2 in my new system I just setup after I clean it down with bleach to be %100 sure there is no root rot shit around even though it's a new system it's been around my old system...

Thanks for that info...

I run a twin system 10  inch system 0.5 micron sediment  and 0.5 or 0.2 carbon . I change every 2-3 months ..I buy bulk off FSA filter systems Australia. https://www.filtersystemsaustralia.com.au/

I made my own unit about $80 for 2 housings and fittings. and filters are $4 each sediment and $8 each carbon when you buy a box .

Housings.. https://www.filtersystemsaustralia.com.au/water-filter/housings/10-x-2-5-blue-uv-resistant-water-filter-housing-1-2-npt-ports-outdoor-8-34.html

Edited by Traviss
  • Upvote 1

I run a twin system 10  inch system 0.5 micron sediment  and 0.5 or 0.2 carbon . I change every 2-3 months ..I buy bulk off FSA filter systems Australia. https://www.filtersystemsaustralia.com.au/

I made my own unit about $80 for 2 housings and fittings. and filters are $4 each sediment and $8 each carbon when you buy a box .

Housings.. https://www.filtersystemsaustralia.com.au/water-filter/housings/10-x-2-5-blue-uv-resistant-water-filter-housing-1-2-npt-ports-outdoor-8-34.html

Sweet should get mine shortly

Sorry to butt in but are you talking about a water filter for tap water? Cos I've just discovered that tap water I filled a watering can with 24 hours ago, has a 320 ppm. The pH is about 7.5 which is easily fixed with a drop of pH Down BUT...what do I do about the ppm? Is it a water filter I need? Or do I need to buy water? And if so, what sort?

Sorry to butt in but are you talking about a water filter for tap water? Cos I've just discovered that tap water I filled a watering can with 24 hours ago, has a 320 ppm. The pH is about 7.5 which is easily fixed with a drop of pH Down BUT...what do I do about the ppm? Is it a water filter I need? Or do I need to buy water? And if so, what sort?

Most tap water will have minerals and shit in it. Just let it sit for a day to let the chlorine etc evap a bit. Most people get away with that without spending money on bottled water. Know anyone with a rainwater tank? Ask to fill up a big water jug. Mines 6.0 pH and next to zip ppm.

Yep water filter for tap water, as I believe rain water can have ill effects on the plant in not fully treated so I'm thinking using the filter on tap water is a better option for me to lower ppm and get rid of chlorine etc. I actually don't have a steady rain water supply so I really need to work with tap water. Trav will the water filter u showed me will it atleast half the tap water ppm? Say it's 500ppm will it lower it to atleast half that? nomaly the ec of my tap water is 0.5 ec just giving u a idea...not sure what that is in ppm without looking on a meter.

Edited by medicalgrower