Breastfeeding and cannabis?

sunseeker

Question

Dunno if it would end up in the milk or not, but I'd be a bit iffy about doing it without being certain it was safe for bub.

As for mum, despite what the psych community will want you to believe, post natal is a hormonal condition at a base level, so no mind altering substance will address that.  For some women canna may make it easier to deal with, but I know for my missus it had the opposite effect, so tread carefully.  Having said that, the drugs the psych community pumped into her didn't have any benefit at all, and some seemed to make things worse, and I'd rather risk canna in the milk than psych drugs.

Having seen serious post natal in action, you and your missus have my deepest sympathy and best wishes, it can be some very messed up shit.  Probably won't get you anywhere, but push for a hormonal treatment rather than anti depressants if it gets serious.

:peace:

• Upvote 1

A little will not hurt ...no different to people putting a 1/5 nip of alcohol in a baby's bottle to make them sleep which was a common occurrence many years ago

Check this article out ...it occurs naturally in breast milk

http://www.naturalnews.com/2016-11-17-cannabinoids-like-those-found-in-marijuana-occur-naturally-in-human-breast-milk.html

Babies and mums have been around for millenia....I dont think you will be the first and definitely not the last to do it....prob not a good habit to get into though...personal choice

Or go to bottle feed

Edited by cardrona

Hi sunseeker,congratulations on the birth of your little person,OK so I'm not a medical professional or a scientist but I can tell you about my experiences in this area,insomnia, anxiety and depression combined is a nasty mix for anyone and should be dealt with ASAP in some way or from as it can spiral out of control and go down hill very very fast,so what is the best approach? well everybody is different and what works for one maybe completely different for another so trial and error will be a must in finding out what works best for your own personal situation,I am not a fan of pharmaceutical drugs or the side effects related but some people do have some good success stories so don't rule them out completely just yet,I am a mother of five all born by emergency caesarean and I also suffered with all the disorders you have mentioned with each birth for me I found pharmaceuticals did in fact make things much worse and the withdrawals from some of those medicines were not pretty either so I turned to cannabis and yes anything that is consumed/inhaled by the mother will be passed through to baby via breast milk that is a fact but the amount being passed on is very minute hence being the reason why doctors so readily prescribe a large array of prescriptions to breast feeding mums because the risk is so minimal and if it helps mum to feel better,sleep better and lessons the anxiety some what then the benefits defiantly out way the risk IMO,I ways unable to smoke through my pregnancy,s due to extreme morning sickness but within days of giving birth was able resume smoking again which helped me get through the intense fluctuations in hormone levels that women experience through out the journey of motherhood, especially when breastfeeding,in many case's full mental stability or in other words just getting back to feeling like your old self again isn't fully possibly until the mother completely stops breast feeding and only then will hormones naturally level out and this takes time to,as for expressing breast milk that can work wonders for some mums and be disastrous for others meaning not all mums can express as it can lead to other problems like disrupted feeding patterns, mastitis,time consuming and can hinder milk production in some cases but if it works for you than go for it being able to express can be very handy,if not than do not stress just normal breast feeding is OK and a lot less work in my opinion ,as far as long term damage to your baby goes I have never heard of anyone reporting that there child was affected short-term or long-term as a result of a mother smoking a little pot and certainly no problems with my own kids all Happy healthy intelligent kids,I do have a daughter with severe epilepsy but her problems are not in any way cannabis related the cause is from a lack of oxygen from being born not breathing and having to be resuscitated, hope this helps ease some of your worries and all the best for mum,dad and the little one,Cheer's.

The is a small amount of cannabinoids in breastmilk.

I've been feeding for over 3yrs an about to have another baby, I've smoked due to illness an my kids are fine. I'm actually a lactation consultant by trade so I know the ins and outs of breastfeeding/ breastmilk. I had Hg during my last pregnancy an the only way I was able to consume any food was to have a few puffs first. And that's all I've stuck to I don't get stoned or so off my face my ability to care for my children is impaired

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners