slow growth

Hi everyone !

First of all I am Newbie on this forum as well as newbie grower! Happy to be part of the gang !

I am creating this topic after days and days of reading threads, articles ect but couldn't not find any related to that topic on this forum. ( If I missed something I am sorry in advance and would love to be redirected. 

All of the found informations all contradict each other and I could never find a definite helpful answer so hope to be able to narrow it down over here.

Here is the scenario of my very first grow following this tutorial ( happy to follow this Thread up with a journal : http://www.growersguidetocannabis.com/10-top-tips-for-autoflowering-plants-a-better-yield/

- x2 Feminized blue Dream Auto

- medium coco / perlite 50% - 50%

- 3gallon pots started in smaller slightly, bigger than party cups containers 

- average temp : 25

- average humidity : 60%

- light : MarsHydro 300

- water when slightly dry with PH 6.2 and Rhyzo 

- growing space : 110cm / 60cm

Germination with paper towel in 36h

Seedling 60cm away from lamp as per manual recommendations

4cm growth above medium in 48h

Day 8 from germination the plants have gained 0.5cm ( barely any changes in 6days, slightly bigger leaves ... )

Some growers seems to have magnificent result with this light ( and according to cheap price ) others seem to have the exact same issue.

I know I am probably being a bit impatient but after multiple research many growers ended up with barely any growth after 30days with very similar conditions to mine.

Here are the ladies: ( one of them seems a bit deformed with leaves pointing upwards ...  )

Thank you very much in advance !!

post-60762-0-84674200-1492846008_thumb.jpg

post-60762-0-93793400-1492846012_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jonobo

Looks maybe a little bit slow, but looks healthy so just need some patience. I noticed a few twisted leaves when I sprouted under LED in my last grow. You could probably keep the light more like 45cm than 60cm away it won't do any damage, but the LED may be causing the weird twisted growth or it could just be a mutant seed, it does happen but the new growth should become normal. If you're growing in coco you probably want to keep the pH more around 5.8 than 6.2. Make sure you don't over water when they are this small.

In the first week most of the action is happening below ground, in the second week you should see some more growth going on.

I'm sprouting some new seeds right now too. As you can see below not much happens in the first week, all the action starts in the second week.

After 7 days:

post-60242-0-19438700-1492847869_thumb.jpg

After about 15 days:

post-60242-0-38885600-1492847875_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone !

First of all I am Newbie on this forum as well as newbie grower! Happy to be part of the gang !

I am creating this topic after days and days of reading threads, articles ect but couldn't not find any related to that topic on this forum. ( If I missed something I am sorry in advance and would love to be redirected. 

All of the found informations all contradict each other and I could never find a definite helpful answer so hope to be able to narrow it down over here.

Here is the scenario of my very first grow following this tutorial ( happy to follow this Thread up with a journal : http://www.growersguidetocannabis.com/10-top-tips-for-autoflowering-plants-a-better-yield/

- x2 Feminized blue Dream Auto

- medium coco / perlite 50% - 50%

- 3gallon pots started in smaller slightly, bigger than party cups containers 

- average temp : 25

- average humidity : 60%

- light : MarsHydro 300

- water when slightly dry with PH 6.2 and Rhyzo 

- growing space : 110cm / 60cm

Germination with paper towel in 36h

Seedling 60cm away from lamp as per manual recommendations

4cm growth above medium in 48h

Day 8 from germination the plants have gained 0.5cm ( barely any changes in 6days, slightly bigger leaves ... )

Some growers seems to have magnificent result with this light ( and according to cheap price ) others seem to have the exact same issue.

I know I am probably being a bit impatient but after multiple research many growers ended up with barely any growth after 30days with very similar conditions to mine.

Here are the ladies: ( one of them seems a bit deformed with leaves pointing upwards ...  )

Thank you very much in advance !!

Let's clear this up

So here are our 10 top tips for successfully growing autoflowers
  1. Size of Pot

Even for dwarf autos you need to be using a 3 gallon pot to give the plant enough space to develop a good rootball.

2. A good light mix

A nice light mix such as 50:50 coco:perlite is best as it makes sure you get a good wet-dry cycle.

3. AVOID OVERWATERING AT ALL COSTS

4. Give NO NUTRIENTS AT ALL until the autoflowering cannabis plant has developed 4 nodes. The dose should only be introduced gradually and in increments.

5. Continue vegetative feed until ALL upward growth stops. The auto will have started flowering before this happens (in a 9-10 week auto, you would expect to continue using veg nutes until week 6)

6. Ensure the genetic material (that’s technical talk for Cannabis Seeds guys!) that you start off with is of good, well bred and viable stock. Check what other growers are / have been growing and how well the strain did.

7. For maximum grams (oz) / foot, make sure you have 16 dwarf/short autos in a 4 ft x 4 ft (1.2m x 1.2m) area

8. Go easy on the nutes. Generally less is better in most cases.

9. Don’t give them too much light to start with. Go for a low watt fixture for seedling growth, increasing the amount of light as the plant develops.

and that brings us to top tip no 10 in our how top grow autoflowering cannabis guide 

10. Autos don’t appreciate being transplanted:
  • They just don’t have time to recover from transplant shock in their mad dash from seed to harvest. So don’t do it! Either sow the auto seed direct into their 3 gallon pot or better still, follow the direction below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Take

No 1: 3 gallon is probably too small whats that 11.4 litres? double that and use a fabric pot so in reality your now using a 20-25 litre pot with the root capacity of 40 litre pot

No 2: 50/50% coco to perlite is far to airy and dry you'll be watering 2 to 3 times a day in summer and in the middle to late veg, go a mix 20/80 perlite to coco this will favour you in the biggest growth stage with watering every second day, i find a 30/70 perlite to coco mix to dry especially if using fabric pots

No 3: you need to lay off the water at the beginning but a few weeks into veg the more frequent the watering the more oxygen sucked into the coco/perlite mix as the water is adsorbed by the roots it draws in oxygen to replace the mass of water this is why guys see bigger harvest when they water 1-2 times a day rather than water 1 time every 2 days

No 4: give a root stimulant after 7 days of seeds cracking at a weak dose 1/6-1/8th the recommended dose, after 14 days feed the plant with nutrient at 1/4th strength

No 7: depends on strain height and pheno

No 8: less nutes is better with auto flowering plants i found half dose or just a little over half dose the magic number

No 9: iset my light at one height and let the seedlings grow up and into the range than i move the light up asthe plants grow maintaining the same distance from plant to lights

at 8 days your plant looks up to pace, the next 2-4 weeks she will take off but using the Mars Hydro 300w those LED lightskeep the plants very compact and very bushy so don't expect your plant to grow over 1-2 foot tall

Dunno where you got that shit from Gaz, but you probably should reference it, and tell all readers to take it with a grain of salt.

#2, 50/50 coco/perlite would be okay, but 70/30 works lovely.

#4 is bullshit.  Start them on light nutes, no if's or but's, start about 0.8 EC and start pushing it up after 1 week, and push it harder and faster than a photoperiod, but as always monitor and be ready to back off once signs of overfeeding present themselves.  Autos like to be pushed fairly hard, but overfeeding will still cause problems.

#7, you would need a strain with very particular attributes for that sort of concentration.  Never grown a dwarf auto, but have found that a bit of LST is the trick to best yield, which won't work with numbers crammed together like that.

#8, see #4

#9, absolute bollocks.  As with any seedling you don't want them too close to the light, but so long as you gradually decrease the distance from light to plant they love lots of light.  I have started them off under 600w HPS and they loved it.  I would never fuck around with autos under gentle low wattage lights, they need to be pushed right from the start as they don't have the veg time available.

#10 is also bullshit.  In soil it's probably true, but in coco/perlite it is not.  I know one member here disagree's, but unless you have the magic touch of being able to maintain exact fluid and food levels in a large pot with a small seedling you will get better results starting in a small pot and potting up once established but before getting rootbound.  In my experience doing this I have never seen anything but a boost in growth starting straight after potting up.  I would however recommend only potting them up once.

That guide has enough bullshit in it to make it iffy to say the least, but it's not all bad advice.  Buzzo's guide on this site for auto's is great, and much more informative for new auto growers, but even that one is not a one size fits all guide.  Great starting point, but any grower needs to go from that point to finding their own way and learning to read their plants so they can customise to suit.

At one week old those seedlings are not doing poorly enough to be concerned.  1st week is mainly about root development, they should pick up over the next week and get going.

:peace:

• Upvote 5

Thank a lot for all of this guys it is ALL very helpful.

I have lowered the light to 45 / 50cm and will be adding a bit more coco to my mix to get a good 30 - 70 / 40 - 60 coco perlite.

I have also deleted that tutorial from my favourites and following you guys advises as it all makes perfect sens to my noob grower's brain.

Do you guys think I can keep this set up for the moment with the small pot in the big bot ? of would you recommend to repot them in a smaller one until they get bigger then repot them in the fabric pot ? ( that I will purchase soon )

Again thank you so much !

ps : I was aways planing on doing LST on them when the time is right and have only 2 plants. Even though it is a small space it should be enough for LST ^^

Will update you on the ladies.

Edited by Jonobo

Dunno where you got that shit from Gaz, but you probably should reference it, and tell all readers to take it with a grain of salt.

I think the original 10 points was in a guide linked in the OP which Gazza was also trying to rebute.

I followed your advice when my last seedling went poorly and my new ones are taking off. Just repotted last night and had some very nice healthy root growth, think I timed it just right before getting too rootbound in the small starter pots.

• Upvote 1