Geopot users

Stupid question perhaps but I saw a YouTube demo video and the guy planted 4 small plants out of Solo Cups into large rectangular pots using vermiculite I think but he put 4 seedlings - each in a corner of each large tub. Is that possible? I couldn't see if he ended up tying them down pointing away from each other, or perhaps he chose the best one in each tub later and removed the rest? I've never seen anyone use more than one plant per pot/bag before. Can you do it?

Yes ...in a free world you can put in as many as you want .....and be hard on selection ....looking for exactly what your after ....they will not grow as big but your odds of getting more females from seed are increased.and a better way of selecting progeny

The missus and I are looking at putting together a simple aquaponics unit and I have read once its up and running it pretty much set and forget! Have a look at this for some inspiration

http://practicalaquaponics.com/blog/

Give it a try its great fun and medative

• Upvote 1

Oh O.K. I didn't know those Geopots are able to biodegrade that quickly! I'm just using some Bunnings recyclable shopping bags (75c each) and a few hessian Coles 'Masterchef' shopping bags. The Bunnings ones are red so I checked that the dye doesn't run first - and they don't seem to. I got 5 x 21litre bags from Growlush but they're made of plastic and have a a thing on the bottom with fine netting for run off. But I like the idea of using more porous material for air and more drainage. Complete newb, so I'm trying to feel my way through this 1st grow. Which is why, although I have the equipment, I'm not fully automating yet. I wanna be more hands on to learn as I go. And learn from experienced growers. So thanks so much. Very kind of you.

no probs , anytime 

there are a few geopot types , the g natural will break down 

like plastics , the leaching ink/dyes is the thing i'd be worried about , but if it's cool , it's cool 

& geo's aren't cheap in numbers 

pors & cons with everything , yes better air also means drys out faster especially if outdoors 

not as much of a prob indoors in winter , larger volumes of media are easier to maintain 

i'm a soil grower & try growing with living soil but ain't allot living in a dried out small pot

by staying above 15gal the soil won't dry as fast & keep the benne's in the pot happy   

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1

Thanks guys. Your advice is appreciated. And Itchybromusic - your right about the dye in the Bunnings bags. I rubbed the bottom of one to feel for runoff and my fingers were a bit orange. So that's not great! I'll just do what I should've done originally and order some proper growing bags. Cheap, short cuts are often not worth it. Live & learn I guess. Thanks again!

Thanks guys. Your advice is appreciated. And Itchybromusic - your right about the dye in the Bunnings bags. I rubbed the bottom of one to feel for runoff and my fingers were a bit orange. So that's not great! I'll just do what I should've done originally and order some proper growing bags. Cheap, short cuts are often not worth it. Live & learn I guess. Thanks again!

i use a mates rule of thumb on occasion

good is not cheap & cheap is not good