Geopot users

sure if you are mainly talking about indoors or out but I have had good experience with wicking beds outdoors in the past ....fill them up and when the plant wants to drink it helps itself ....great system....good growth and results...easy to make great vege beds to ...aquaponics works well too...great in hot summers ...set up and forget nearly... fill once a week

https://youtu.be/dCgciRQAXEw

Hey cardrona, outdoors or indoors either way Its all good just happy to have you share your experience and any advice. Did you plumb your aquaponics upto the wicking beds? Someone should start a thread (bags not lol) hope we get an organic forum soon. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

Not much  advice ....just follow the build ....its a good project to do ...pretty cheap....and they went great .....they were separate systems. both outdoors

but you could easily join them up .If you are in a hot dry climate these are the go ......besides.... being in the ground.

The plants I grew this year came from a cross two seasons back ....one was a haze in the wicking bed .

It took a little to get going as I had vege's/corn in there too ..and was in shade after 3pm .....but once it did I had to tip the bgeezus out of it and bend it over because it it was a dry season and everywhere was brown except this wicking bed with a green giant in it ...it eventually took it over...

honestly.... the most easiest lazy way to grow ...really is ...as long as you top it up with the hose ...... takes 10mins once a week that's all....after its built 

Edited by cardrona
  • Upvote 2

Not much  advice ....just follow the build ....its a good project to do ...pretty cheap....and they went great .....they were separate systems. both outdoors

but you could easily join them up .If you are in a hot dry climate these are the go ......besides.... being in the ground.

The plants I grew this year came from a cross two seasons back ....one was a haze in the wicking bed .

It took a little to get going as I had vege's/corn in there too ..and was in shade after 3pm .....but once it did I had to tip the bgeezus out of it and bend it over because it it was a dry season and everywhere was brown except this wicking bed with a green giant in it ...it eventually took it over...

honestly.... the most easiest lazy way to grow ...really is ...as long as you top it up with the hose ...... takes 10mins once a week that's all....after its built

Man those veggies really didn't stand much chance against a haze lol sounds very nice and good work. If it weren't for my haze x (not my cross) been rootbound at transplant I would have had a sip haze aswell, ended up replacing with Guatemala. I love growing sativa so much fun in sip.

I feel ya really can be one of the easiest and laziest ways to grow awesome plants.

Robs video is great, love his channel, so just to clarify the vege scrap layer was below the soil ontop of the wicking layer?

I'm going to have to replace my plastic lined tin wicking bed with an Ibc one this year. I didn't use enough plastic up the sides and the roots pulled it down a fair way after a abit... ended up having to fill every day at its peak smh.

Years ago there was a journal by a grower called compostwhisperer at grasscity, he modded a giant poly pond into a sip that was plumped to a fish tank. The water recirculated through the scoria filled res every so often which acted as a biofilter. Some of the biggest indoor plants I have seen!

I've never raised fish and worry if I take it on ill end up killing them somehow with my magic touch, maybe one day, it would be nice.

Cheers cardrona.

Years ago there was a journal by a grower called compostwhisperer at grasscity, he modded a giant poly pond into a sip that was plumped to a fish tank. The water recirculated through the scoria filled res every so often which acted as a biofilter. Some of the biggest indoor plants I have seen!

I've never raised fish and worry if I take it on ill end up killing them somehow with my magic touch, maybe one day, it would be nice.

Cheers cardrona.

The missus and I are looking at putting together a simple aquaponics unit and I have read once its up and running it pretty much set and forget! Have a look at this for some inspiration

http://practicalaquaponics.com/blog/

hey swftomi yeah that could work & cheaper but easier to buy pre-made 

yo gaz , yeah you def water more in a smaller fabric pot but that's the point , smaller , 

a larger volume of soil is allot easier to keep alive & moist than a smaller amount of soil 

the transplants i'm talking about is like 5gal to a 15gal at switch or bigger , very hard to

remove a 5 or 10gal root ball from any pot but if you can just pick up the bag & drop into a 

bigger bag with more soil mix you get zero transplant shock cos roots are not disturbed &

push straight into the new fresh soil mix

So you mean just putting the bag into a larger bag, then cutting the smaller bags seems and then adding more soil? Or do you add more soil between the sides of each bag and THEN cutting the side seems for the roots to branch into the new soil? It's a fantastic transplantation idea!! And just what I needed. Thanks very much.

Stupid question perhaps but I saw a YouTube demo video and the guy planted 4 small plants out of Solo Cups into large rectangular pots using vermiculite I think but he put 4 seedlings - each in a corner of each large tub. Is that possible? I couldn't see if he ended up tying them down pointing away from each other, or perhaps he chose the best one in each tub later and removed the rest? I've never seen anyone use more than one plant per pot/bag before. Can you do it?

So you mean just putting the bag into a larger bag, then cutting the smaller bags seems and then adding more soil? Or do you add more soil between the sides of each bag and THEN cutting the side seems for the roots to branch into the new soil? It's a fantastic transplantation idea!! And just what I needed. Thanks very much.

" So you mean just putting the bag into a larger bag "

yep , bag in bag transplanting no cutting , just fresh soil at the bottom & round the sides of the bigger pot 

if you can get & use the G-Natural pots by geopot or similar , they will completely break down after transplant ,

keep in mind once you have a seedling in a g natural pot you have 3mths to transplant B4 the pot starts to fall apart   

Stupid question perhaps but I saw a YouTube demo video and the guy planted 4 small plants out of Solo Cups into large rectangular pots using vermiculite I think but he put 4 seedlings - each in a corner of each large tub. Is that possible? I couldn't see if he ended up tying them down pointing away from each other, or perhaps he chose the best one in each tub later and removed the rest? I've never seen anyone use more than one plant per pot/bag before. Can you do it?

yes that's poss , lots of ways to skin a cat as they say , a few big plants or lots of small plants . IMO lots of small plants yield more , lots of guys using raised beds indoors

with all sorts of plants growing along side canna as a living mulch 

large rectangular pots using vermiculite "

sounds like sips , Sub Irrigated Planters although the medium would be more than just vermiculite most of the time 

could also be some sort of crop culture taken from vegge growing , where the medium is just perlite 

• Upvote 1

" So you mean just putting the bag into a larger bag "

yep , bag in bag transplanting no cutting , just fresh soil at the bottom & round the sides of the bigger pot 

if you can get & use the G-Natural pots by geopot or similar , they will completely break down after transplant ,

keep in mind once you have a seedling in a g natural pot you have 3mths to transplant B4 the pot starts to fall apart   

Oh O.K. I didn't know those Geopots are able to biodegrade that quickly! I'm just using some Bunnings recyclable shopping bags (75c each) and a few hessian Coles 'Masterchef' shopping bags. The Bunnings ones are red so I checked that the dye doesn't run first - and they don't seem to. I got 5 x 21litre bags from Growlush but they're made of plastic and have a a thing on the bottom with fine netting for run off. But I like the idea of using more porous material for air and more drainage. Complete newb, so I'm trying to feel my way through this 1st grow. Which is why, although I have the equipment, I'm not fully automating yet. I wanna be more hands on to learn as I go. And learn from experienced growers. So thanks so much. Very kind of you.

yes that's poss , lots of ways to skin a cat as they say , a few big plants or lots of small plants . IMO lots of small plants yield more , lots of guys using raised beds indoors

with all sorts of plants growing along side canna as a living mulch 

large rectangular pots using vermiculite "

sounds like sips , Sub Irrigated Planters although the medium would be more than just vermiculite most of the time 

could also be some sort of crop culture taken from vegge growing , where the medium is just perlite 

Man those veggies really didn't stand much chance against a haze lol sounds very nice and good work. If it weren't for my haze x (not my cross) been rootbound at transplant I would have had a sip haze aswell, ended up replacing with Guatemala. I love growing sativa so much fun in sip.

I feel ya really can be one of the easiest and laziest ways to grow awesome plants.

Robs video is great, love his channel, so just to clarify the vege scrap layer was below the soil ontop of the wicking layer?

I'm going to have to replace my plastic lined tin wicking bed with an Ibc one this year. I didn't use enough plastic up the sides and the roots pulled it down a fair way after a abit... ended up having to fill every day at its peak smh.

Cheers cardrona.

Yes ....very easy the only hard built is building it which isn't hard just a few hours if you have all the materials....put the scraps under the layer of soil if doing a wicking bed .....

Use goldfish if going down the aquaponics route before you go and buy a descent fish ...perch etc...the carp or goldfish will acclimatise really easy produce good feed and handle massive fluctuations of temperate and irregularities they are very forgiving and perfect for a lazy aquaponics grow.All you will need to do is top up the water ...feed ....and possibly add some nutrients if needed....try and get a black container ibc or wrap it in something as alage grows more in light....thru the clear white ones otherwise wrap it in shade cloth

Good luck