Geopot users

The kiddie pool sip is what Im basing my design on only a much smaller scale. Also looking at bottom feeding with teas instead of top feeding them. Feed the res and let them do their thing :)

Hi Nici, have you tried it before or have you been recommend by someone using sip to feed teas to the res? I know of a few people that practice Korean natural farming add Knf ferments to the res but even then they are switching out res buckets for clean ones each week as it can get nasty in res.

I have fed kelp, alfalfa teas, other times humic and fulvic acids in a sip system that allowed me to change out res easily and the water uptake slowed down significantly each time compared to plain water or water with em1 so I gave up on all that and just foliar feed or topdress what I need which does the job.

Edit: Sip is an anaerobic ecology so ferments go hand in hand, botanical teas like I used are in essence aerobic. I gather it upsets the balance. I have seen growers use air stones in there sip res and there plants are unhealthy in comparison to no air Stone, one even realised this just a few days ago after having done a side by side.

Edited by Swftroml

My plants recently grown in fabric pots reached just over 3 foot and one at 4 foot, i used 7 gallon pots, watered every second day during the biggest uptake of water i had water 50% from the top 50% from the bottom and i had a really nice root ball, alot of fine roots though out the coco but mostly the bigger noodle looking root mass on the bottom of the pots

the whole root mass was well structured

my waterings were around 1.5-2.2 litres every second day per pot

• Upvote 1

Thanks swft and itchy. I dont mind top feeding it was more me trying to get away with as little fiddling as possible. Was using dwc but looking at keeping mums and cloning now so dont want to have to be doing 50+ litres of water a week and looking to go as natural nutes as possible.

Thanks for the advice peeps tbh im pretty excited by the sips idea (dont know what that says about me as a person lol).

• Upvote 1

Thanks swft and itchy. I dont mind top feeding it was more me trying to get away with as little fiddling as possible. Was using dwc but looking at keeping mums and cloning now so dont want to have to be doing 50+ litres of water a week and looking to go as natural nutes as possible.

Thanks for the advice peeps tbh im pretty excited by the sips idea (dont know what that says about me as a person lol).

lol mate they just had the world marbles championship here , played by adults , 

your getting excited about growing plants like our forefathers & these guys are excited about , marbles , need i say more !

My plants recently grown in fabric pots reached just over 3 foot and one at 4 foot, i used 7 gallon pots, watered every second day during the biggest uptake of water i had water 50% from the top 50% from the bottom and i had a really nice root ball, alot of fine roots though out the coco but mostly the bigger noodle looking root mass on the bottom of the pots

the whole root mass was well structured

my waterings were around 1.5-2.2 litres every second day per pot

i've found the bottom watering handy too with the fabrics 

in a no till system in geo's , you should have a pretty even root ball at the end due to keeping the pot evenly moist 

a plants natural instinct in the wild is to want to grow feeder roots to the surface under the mulch layer where most 

of the composting action is taking place by the soil life , letting the top of the pot dry as i would religiously do is 

counterproductive , stopping the plant doing what it's learnt to do over millions of years , grow roots where the food/life is at , the mulch layer

you also have probs with soil life dying going dorment or POQ'ing , basically in no till your looking after & feeding a pet = a lump of living soil

which you feed though the mulch layer , you don't kill it after a grow you keep growing in it adding more life from living mulch = dynamic accumulators

chop & drop is the game when using a living mulch , in fact the more you use the soil the better & more productive it gets , soil test after soil test shows 

more NPK ect in older living soil then in a fresh new mix of the same starting mix 

• Upvote 2

sure if you are mainly talking about indoors or out but I have had good experience with wicking beds outdoors in the past ....fill them up and when the plant wants to drink it helps itself ....great system....good growth and results...easy to make great vege beds to ...aquaponics works well too...great in hot summers ...set up and forget nearly... fill once a week

Edited by cardrona
  • Upvote 3

sure if you are mainly talking about indoors or out but I have had good experience with wicking beds outdoors in the past ....fill them up and when the plant wants to drink it helps itself ....great system....good growth and results...easy to make great vege beds to ...aquaponics works well too...great in hot summers ...set up and forget nearly... fill once a week

that's it mate 

the only diff with that is the use of Em-1 in the rez & use of gro-kashi / bokashi with compost top dresses 

& also mine has a pretty shower cap  :P

• Upvote 1

Sip has been a game changer for me so I understand and share your excitement Nici. Itchy gave a good perspective lol It's great you are thinking of organic soil and will help where and when I can.

So the kiddie pool sip you are talking about is the one on YouTube with fabric pots?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdS8f3OCpKs

I can see now why thought of teas Nici :) its basically the same system I ran teas through except I used hardpots and they sat in individual trays to track tea uptake. I would recommend starting simple with water and em1 but in a system like that you could experiment with teas and other things, or Knf ferments for a sure a thing.

• Upvote 1