Starting seedling with best results: HOWTO

There are many ways ...many of which are fine ...you will find one that suites you and your situation like hashy said.

I personally believe and follow the beliefs that seed germinate in the dark  so in the soil...and this plant originally would have been a monsoon seasonal plant subject to flooding.

I believe with fresh viable seed ....you dont need to play with it ......its a weed...it has survived without you for millennia .

Place it in a glass of water for as little as an hour up to 24-48 hrs ..(simulates a flood)........then place it in its final pot before going in the ground at least a 12 inch pot or straight into the ground.

If you have it in only a small 6 inch pot or 200mm it will have roots at the bottom by 4/5 days...If you used jiffys etc and smaller ...you have to handle them opening up an opportunity for stunting ...slowing ...transplant shock and passing on of virus's from your hands.Exposure to light and the new soil your planting into can suck the moisture pretty quick out of a small pot pretty quick if you are not aware.

I used to get Sativa's when I was 14 in the 80's that if planted in dec would be at a foot in 3 weeks ... .long internode space.

...you just reminded me I used to cut the tops off 2 litre fizzy drink bottles and use them over the top of the pot to simulate mini green houses and they would hit the top in 3 weeks

the mother sativa's...with the giant old leaves that would get up to 12/13 leaflets.and they would have to be freshly pollinated seed from the year before .

Healthy, strong, vigorous stock .each year we would only cross our biggest female x biggest male.they were slower in spring x 5 weeks approx.....after a few years some of the offspring just take off...when I say this I mean only 1 or two out of every 30 or so would do it .

They have to be total sun ....on or near rocks to get reflective heat. Especially in early spring 

• Upvote 1

Some strains that will do that are ....well a few possibly ....nepalese ...la nina....Indian .Pakistani.

I believe alot of the origin genetics of the east coast sativa's..... I am talking about which originally came from the hunter crosses and introduced species...bought back from asia 

I believe the stock came from Bengal in India...from my research ....and was crossed with nepalese and possibly columbian  and Vietnamese in the 60's 70's..I have been studying it for years.

Only the tropical Asian sativa's seem to do it...From India and south ...but if you keep selecting for that trait ...it will come out.

• Upvote 2

I will just add .....the thing that makes a great strain or a superb growing plant is mainly the location ........I could give you A1 seed but if you are not in the right growing region for that type or spot ......you will not get the same results ......humidity plays a massive role and the afternoon rain storms .

• Upvote 1

There are many ways ...many of which are fine ...you will find one that suites you and your situation like hashy said.

I personally believe and follow the beliefs that seed germinate in the dark so in the soil...and this plant originally would have been a monsoon seasonal plant subject to flooding.

I believe with fresh viable seed ....you dont need to play with it ......its a weed...it has survived without you for millennia .

Place it in a glass of water for as little as an hour up to 24-48 hrs ..(simulates a flood)........then place it in its final pot before going in the ground at least a 12 inch pot or straight into the ground.

If you have it in only a small 6 inch pot or 200mm it will have roots at the bottom by 4/5 days...If you used jiffys etc and smaller ...you have to handle them opening up an opportunity for stunting ...slowing ...transplant shock and passing on of virus's from your hands.Exposure to light and the new soil your planting into can suck the moisture pretty quick out of a small pot pretty quick if you are not aware.

I used to get Sativa's when I was 14 in the 80's that if planted in dec would be at a foot in 3 weeks ... .long internode space.

...you just reminded me I used to cut the tops off 2 litre fizzy drink bottles and use them over the top of the pot to simulate mini green houses and they would hit the top in 3 weeks

the mother sativa's...with the giant old leaves that would get up to 12/13 leaflets.and they would have to be freshly pollinated seed from the year before .

Healthy, strong, vigorous stock .each year we would only cross our biggest female x biggest male.they were slower in spring x 5 weeks approx.....after a few years some of the offspring just take off...when I say this I mean only 1 or two out of every 30 or so would do it .

They have to be total sun ....on or near rocks to get reflective heat. Especially in early spring

Some strains that will do that are ....well a few possibly ....nepalese ...la nina....Indian .Pakistani.

I believe alot of the origin genetics of the east coast sativa's..... I am talking about which originally came from the hunter crosses and introduced species...bought back from asia

I believe the stock came from Bengal in India...from my research ....and was crossed with nepalese and possibly columbian and Vietnamese in the 60's 70's..I have been studying it for years.

Only the tropical Asian sativa's seem to do it...From India and south ...but if you keep selecting for that trait ...it will come out.

I will just add .....the thing that makes a great strain or a superb growing plant is mainly the location ........I could give you A1 seed but if you are not in the right growing region for that type or spot ......you will not get the same results ......humidity plays a massive role and the afternoon rain storms .

Ahh that's interesting that it stimulates a flood for them to sprout!

I have been using the smallest Gordan rock wool square blocks, there not much bigger the jiffy pellet things people use. I'm wondering are ithe rock wool cubes very suitable to start seeds off in once they pop in the toilet paper in my container? Also I will now use gloves to handle my seeds so I don't pass anything one...great tip there...cheers..I first put my seeds in a small container with water and this time round I put some great white in there with them so that will be interesting to see how they go.

Yeah the domes seem to work great to start them off ;)

Yeah Iv heard about different locations play a huge role in quality etc of the grow. I had to pull my last grow 2 weeks early due to mood from high humidity from rain etc, what's the best way to defeat this problem?

Btw just popped 3 strains I got from sss a few days ago ;). Let's hope for the best.....

Are there any seed banks with the sort of sativas your referring to?

Also the reason I don't start them in the rock wool cubes directly is because it's to hard to determine if they need watering or not and over watering can be a issue also....might give my next batch a go sprouting directly in the rock wool what do u think mate?

Cheers mate thanks for your info it's great!

Edited by medicalgrower

The sativa strains i am talking about are just un named east coast ones i have collected over the last 25 years...

Look for mould resistance strains on the net there out there...or get some on the coast between central coast an Darwin

..just continue with what your doing and know and change next time growing.

• Upvote 1

Ahh that's interesting that it stimulates a flood for them to sprout!

I have been using the smallest Gordan rock wool square blocks, there not much bigger the jiffy pellet things people use. I'm wondering are ithe rock wool cubes very suitable to start seeds off in once they pop in the toilet paper in my container? Also I will now use gloves to handle my seeds so I don't pass anything one...great tip there...cheers..I first put my seeds in a small container with water and this time round I put some great white in there with them so that will be interesting to see how they go.

Yeah the domes seem to work great to start them off ;)

Yeah Iv heard about different locations play a huge role in quality etc of the grow. I had to pull my last grow 2 weeks early due to mood from high humidity from rain etc, what's the best way to defeat this problem?

Btw just popped 3 strains I got from sss a few days ago ;). Let's hope for the best.....

Are there any seed banks with the sort of sativas your referring to?

Also the reason I don't start them in the rock wool cubes directly is because it's to hard to determine if they need watering or not and over watering can be a issue also....might give my next batch a go sprouting directly in the rock wool what do u think mate?

Cheers mate thanks for your info it's great!

Ok Just did this.. 

I soak until crack , then I move to Rockwool small cubes .The cubes are pre-soaked in 5.5 ph water and a drop of H2o2 in 1 liter . Soak for a few hours to a night. shake out water gently (like throwing a dart )  then repeat in fresh water ph 5.5 -5.8 for a 15min ... Then I place on tray and let warm to 22-25 deg . Ready for seeds... Once seeds crack I place in conditioned rock wool and wait for top to pop out .. Then lights on and off we go.. 

You have to pre condition rockwool .

Ok Just did this.. 

I soak until crack , then I move to Rockwool small cubes .The cubes are pre-soaked in 5.5 ph water and a drop of H2o2 in 1 liter . Soak for a few hours to a night. shake out water gently (like throwing a dart )  then repeat in fresh water ph 5.5 -5.8 for a 15min ... Then I place on tray and let warm to 22-25 deg . Ready for seeds... Once seeds crack I place in conditioned rock wool and wait for top to pop out .. Then lights on and off we go.. 

You have to pre condition rockwool .

I stopped using the small RW cubes ,too much stuffing around ,,,,the same size brown cubes ,I think are made from coco ,

And much cheaper.

Don't need any prep ,but I make a hole in the top of it for the size I want ,put the sprouted seed in and cover with what I pulled out

When it pops its head up i pot them or put them into the larger rock wool cubes as they fit well.

They also drain and dry quicker than rock wool so not as wet. Also RW cubes are inconsistent in water holding capacity

I like the 100 ml cubes as they are more consistent,,,,,rambling!

I stopped using the small RW cubes ,too much stuffing around ,,,,the same size brown cubes ,I think are made from coco ,

And much cheaper.

Don't need any prep ,but I make a hole in the top of it for the size I want ,put the sprouted seed in and cover with what I pulled out

When it pops its head up i pot them or put them into the larger rock wool cubes as they fit well.

They also drain and dry quicker than rock wool so not as wet. Also RW cubes are inconsistent in water holding capacity

I like the 100 ml cubes as they are more consistent,,,,,rambling!

Never tried them. I just went for what I know works . I might give them a shot when spring comes. Have a few free auto strains I might try outside . 

The mucking around with large rockwool slabs and those bloody clay balls is why I went for median free system years ago.. Not to mention kneeling on a stray balls isnt good for the old knee's