Starting seedling with best results: HOWTO

I find I have slow growth for the first 3 weeks or until the 3rd set of true leaves, but once they start to spread their leaves is when they take off vertically. I dont measures my feeds anymore but I give half strength at second set of leaves for 2 weeks and move up to full strength then on which usually times well with the vertical growth.
  • Upvote 1

Number of posts is absolutely no indication of knowledge and skills, so pay more attention to the way people post, and what other members seem to think of them if you want to figure out who's likely to be a good source of accurate info.

Start your seedlings off under the 130 instead of the 40w CFL, and even then I'd advise moving them under something stronger within a couple of weeks.  I used to start mine off under 600w HPS, no problems so long as you don't put the light too close, but it is overkill for the 1st couple of weeks.

Nute strength can vary with choice of medium and strain sensitivities.  I would tend to go slightly stronger than what you say, but with caution and observation.

Without seeing pics of what you end up with at 3-4 weeks of veg I can't say if you have something to worry about, or are just being unrealistic about growth rates, but I will say that for the first 2 weeks in particular most of what's happening happens in the root zone, it's after that that growth rates pick up at an exponential rate.  With good light, and adquate nutrition, if you have poor growth rates it's likely a problem in the roots.

Can I ask something about roots in the first growth stages? Do you use Great White or Mycchorizae (spelling?) in some form? And if so, how early should it be used? Grateful for any advice offered!

Can I ask something about roots in the first growth stages? Do you use Great White or Mycchorizae (spelling?) in some form? And if so, how early should it be used? Grateful for any advice offered!

I don't use myself, but I might try it out in future. From what I've read most people will use it when transplanting, each time they size up the pot, put some in the hole where you're about to put the plant. Some people also say to use some every few weeks.

I believe it's great in soil but in coco/hydro I am not sure if it's really worth it so I haven't tried it yet.

• Upvote 1

roll your seeds in it B4 you put them in a plug to germ , yep that early 

my 2c on germination , basically at germination there's a bunch of things happening 

many of those processors are driven by enzymes & a catalyst for those enzymes is fulvic acid 

use 1ml to 100ml solution of fulvic to water to germ your seeds , this will give you the strongest start

2 other things that will help , kelp & aloe vera each consist of all the rooting hormones you find in the

rooting gels on the shelf , these would be naturally occurring plant growth regulators = PGR's  

side note catalyst is a chemical that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without itself being changed by the reaction

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1

roll your seeds in it B4 you put them in a plug to germ , yep that early 

my 2c on germination , basically at germination there's a bunch of things happening 

many of those processors are driven by enzymes & a catalyst for those enzymes is fulvic acid 

use 1ml to 100ml solution of fulvic to water to germ your seeds , this will give you the strongest start

2 other things that will help , kelp & aloe vera each consist of all the rooting hormones you find in the

rooting gels on the shelf , these would be naturally occurring plant growth regulators = PGR's  

side note A [/size]catalyst is a chemical that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without itself being changed by the reaction[/size]

That sounds very interesting and EXACTLY what I wanted to know, thanks! I was hoping to get some Great White from Bunnings up the road but I checked their website and couldn't find a match. Which is a shitter cos they stock loads of other additives and nutes our sorts of growers use. Anyways, thanks again.

Dunno, never used it, but I'd go with Itchy on that one.

I've got the Fulvic for germination now, but for root health/development I've only ever used Roots Excellurator and/or Multizyme.  Roots Excel I always add to the mix I use to initially hydrate coco before first use, and I also add a small amount for the 1st week or 2.  Zyme I use throughout veg.  But basically, if a product is genuinely good for your roots then it's usually a good idea to use it if you have it.  But as with most additives, less may be more, most in my experience work best at about half manufacturer recommendations.

• Upvote 1

Growing cannabis is like fishing ......

Hopeful 

Impatience/patience

What your mate told you was a lie or exaggerated in size...and only through practise and your own experience..using the right bait and location...you will take note of what works where and what doesn't

the one that got away?we have all had that

Plants dont start growing till they have true leaves ........it cannot collect energy from the sun/light

It's first mission is to get a tap root to stabilize itself....

Shitty bark or composted sawdust potting mixes affect growth at that stage alot.

Timing in the season can be important both indoor and outdoor.

I have planted plants in 15th Aug that grew big and were harvested in April...that didn't get a whole lot more than ones planted on 15th December and harvested in April

Genetics and freshness have changed the rate seedlings grow now with shorter internodes and the introduction of ruderalis and afghanica.

Old variety sativa's could get a foot high in 3 weeks...

alot of that vigour has been reduced because of less open pollination.

Lack of seed overall in the last 20 years has lost some of those traits because of the laws and hydro/cuttings

when was the last time you got a deal with a seed?

You want quicker growers? Breed

And better drainage add pebbles or perlite

Thats why nature has rocks

As water drains it sucks in air ....no drainage / no air.

Its highly likely its not the seed at all . 

Edited by cardrona
  • Upvote 2