Starting seedling with best results: HOWTO

Hey everyone,

can someone share a post or some info regarding the best way to grow a seed from the beginning, i can sprout them no problems but i experience very slow grow, im looking for a better way to grow them. what are the main tricks to growing seedlings?

ATM i use a 130W CFL after a week or so under a normal 40watt fluro.

i run them at a ph of 6.2 and a nute of approx 1.2ec once they are about 4 weeks old. they dont show no nute burn etc. i run them on a low ec to start with after the first week or so at around 0.3ec entill they get larger then i increase.

airflow isnt that great in my seedling room atm, will be updating that soonish.....what else could be the problem? to cold for them atm? temps are very low here in VIC atm, however i do use a heatmat, need to update that to a thermostat mat.

whats everyone think? how can i get faster growth?

also i think root rot was a major problem that im starting to get a hold of now as im seeing new roots grow and iv tried to pull of all the dead roots and treating with h2O2.

but even before the root rot i was still getting slow growth so yeah...not sure what to put it down to?

I can not tell you, I don't have enough posts :unknw:

c`mon man, sorry i didnt mean it like that u know i didnt well i hope so anywayz....

if i offended you or what not im sorry...its not about the posts at all here, with the seeds i just wanted to hear from a well known member here, well a few of them and the only way i know of that is with post counts as i have not been around here that long.

your post does count mate, everyones does. ;)

so once again sorry if i came across rude at all!

Number of posts is absolutely no indication of knowledge and skills, so pay more attention to the way people post, and what other members seem to think of them if you want to figure out who's likely to be a good source of accurate info.

Start your seedlings off under the 130 instead of the 40w CFL, and even then I'd advise moving them under something stronger within a couple of weeks.  I used to start mine off under 600w HPS, no problems so long as you don't put the light too close, but it is overkill for the 1st couple of weeks.

Nute strength can vary with choice of medium and strain sensitivities.  I would tend to go slightly stronger than what you say, but with caution and observation.

Without seeing pics of what you end up with at 3-4 weeks of veg I can't say if you have something to worry about, or are just being unrealistic about growth rates, but I will say that for the first 2 weeks in particular most of what's happening happens in the root zone, it's after that that growth rates pick up at an exponential rate.  With good light, and adquate nutrition, if you have poor growth rates it's likely a problem in the roots.

• Upvote 2

Number of posts is absolutely no indication of knowledge and skills, so pay more attention to the way people post, and what other members seem to think of them if you want to figure out who's likely to be a good source of accurate info.

Start your seedlings off under the 130 instead of the 40w CFL, and even then I'd advise moving them under something stronger within a couple of weeks.  I used to start mine off under 600w HPS, no problems so long as you don't put the light too close, but it is overkill for the 1st couple of weeks.

Nute strength can vary with choice of medium and strain sensitivities.  I would tend to go slightly stronger than what you say, but with caution and observation.

Without seeing pics of what you end up with at 3-4 weeks of veg I can't say if you have something to worry about, or are just being unrealistic about growth rates, but I will say that for the first 2 weeks in particular most of what's happening happens in the root zone, it's after that that growth rates pick up at an exponential rate.  With good light, and adquate nutrition, if you have poor growth rates it's likely a problem in the roots.

cool mate thanks for that! yeah will do...

my next grow from seeds ill document here so will see how i go.....so after 2 weeks of growth somthing like a 315w LEC would be great for them yeah?

c`mon man, sorry i didnt mean it like that u know i didnt well i hope so anywayz....

if i offended you or what not im sorry...its not about the posts at all here, with the seeds i just wanted to hear from a well known member here, well a few of them and the only way i know of that is with post counts as i have not been around here that long.

your post does count mate, everyones does. ;)

so once again sorry if i came across rude at all!

No need for the O word, I prefer the A word

Better to be Amused then Offended

All good, not many I would listen to here anyway, except, cardrona(knows his shit) and Gazza2001au (knows he's shit) :bang:

Edited by kickarse