Too much Light?

Hi all . Very new to this. First time grow. She is under 400w hps indoors and was raised via a bucket to a distance of 14 in from the light. I have been having this yellowing of the plant ever since I put her in flower cycle and have been trying to work it out as a nutrient problem. But I just had a brainstorm while having a puff. I just measured the light and it was up around 160000LUX. I lowered it so it recievies 50K to 60K LUX. So what do you think? Opinions would be greatly appreciated. She has got 2 more weeks to go starting 2 week flush on next watering but worried if its nutrients she wont make it what will happen if it runs out off nuits too early? Can you you see the 2 back stems that are dark green ? They where under shade/twisted in another branch, and its why I figured light burn

post-60582-0-44391300-1492169140_thumb.jpg

Edited by Apeman69

Canna uses it's leaves as a reservoir

During the plants grow cycle it stores nutes within the leaves

During flower it draws on these reserves to photosynthesis. At the end of my flowering most of my plant yellows off.

But, there's some information you have not provided which would be useful to know. First off is measures ie PPM (nute strength), pH. Light timings (12/12 or 13/1) and how many weeks of 12/12, also initial starting stock ie clone or seed.

I'd also like to ask about your flushing and why you are flushing for 2 weeks. Flushing is very important and a must imo, but why 2weeks? I flush for 5 days to remove excess salts, replacing the fluid fresh daily, again imo, 2 weeks seems excessive. Others may disagree with me and I'd like to hear their comments on this too.

Merl1n

View my pictures in post 988 in the following thread https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/12055-all-join-in-just-a-pic-dump/page-99?do=findComment&comment=234808 you can see in my picture number 1 light bleaching from a 400w HPS, light bleaching or to much light is just as it states it bleaches the colour out of the bud

My PPM was 830 , running 12/12. Its week 10/12. I'm following nvclosetmedgrower on you tube. Followed his entire how to grow. And as part of his advice was two week flush and not knowing any better that's what I had planned, but that's why I'm here, asking the advice as to what is going on with her. The stock is unknown, got her from a seed I had collected over the years. I want to buy seed stock from Yantra but I'm too nervous about buying them.  She was grown from seed.

The bleaching gazza never goes to leaves right?

Thanks for advice guys

Edited by Apeman69

My PPM was 830 , running 12/12. Its week 10/12. I'm following nvclosetmedgrower on you tube. Followed his entire how to grow. And as part of his advice was two week flush and not knowing any better that's what I had planned, but that's why I'm here, asking the advice as to what is going on with her. The stock is unknown, got her from a seed I had collected over the years. I want to buy seed stock from Yantra but I'm too nervous about buying them.  She was grown from seed.

The bleaching gazza never goes to leaves right?

Thanks for advice guys

Not that i have experienced

mate i don't even flush my plants i believe they need nutrients up untill the day they get pulled

I've noticed some plants will yellow off quicker than others when put through final flushing .

And some with little yellowing after a two week flush .

Whether one week rather than two is all that's needed ? I think there are variables like the strength of food the plant has had which may or may not take longer to flush out.. Could be a strain thing too ?

But often one week doesn't give a whole lot of yellowing off so I tend to go longer when it's convenient for me , thinking - believing that with yellowing off comes a cleaner taste .

Also I'll add yield doesn't seem to be effected by starting the flush a bit earlier than say the last week.

It could be that in the flush the plant actually has a chance to regulate its own food intake from leaves with nice clean water to drink

And so help it to fatten up ....But that's just my thoughts....without real basis .

What I really know for sure is that I get better tasting buds from a good flush

A black out at the end is good too but that's veering away to another subject.

Canna uses it's leaves as a reservoirDuring the plants grow cycle it stores nutes within the leavesDuring flower it draws on these reserves to photosynthesis. At the end of my flowering most of my plant yellows off.But, there's some information you have not provided which would be useful to know. First off is measures ie PPM (nute strength), pH. Light timings (12/12 or 13/1) and how many weeks of 12/12, also initial starting stock ie clone or seed.I'd also like to ask about your flushing and why you are flushing for 2 weeks. Flushing is very important and a must imo, but why 2weeks? I flush for 5 days to remove excess salts, replacing the fluid fresh daily, again imo, 2 weeks seems excessive. Others may disagree with me and I'd like to hear their comments on this too.Merl1n

• Upvote 1

OK, so, for a starter I'd like to say every setup is different and every grow is different. Way back when I started (before the interweb) I tried to copy a mate's setup and processes. I could never get his quantity, but by the same accord, he could never get my quality. So although the setups etc were very similar, the end product varied vastly.

For me, running at a PPM of 830 is way too low. Originally I had a theory of stronger nutes = stronger plants so I pushed it up to 1800, boy was that wrong, everything was burnt and harsh as hell to smoke. I ran my next at the manufacturer's recommended nute strength (around 1600) next and although this did improve my crop I still wasn't reaching my mate's quantity. So I dropped the salts further and now I run at around 1300-1400. I found the improvement in the smoke to be huge, no burnt leaves and no yellowing until the very end. Like I said in an earlier post, the plants reserves are usually built up during the grow cycle, then used up in the flowering cycle. Trying to build these reserves during flowering can be difficult, but I'd definitely be increasing the PPM from 830.

IMO if you start a 2wk flush with plants as yellow as yours are at the end of the 2 weeks your plants will be starving and this will cause a massive decline in the bud quality. The plant will fight to survive and draw all the goodness it has used to make flowers just to be able to survive. Not what you want. I would seriously be considering cutting the flush time in 1/2. Maybe even replacing your flush fluid twice/day to try and reduce the salts quicker.

Hope it helps

Merl1n