I am on a hunt for northern lights seeds. I used to have a cut from a friend who has passed, I lost the cut later in a fire which broke my heart. In memory of our friend it is time, never did find out what breeder or the # of nl it was so to start with, I heard vision seeds had one of the better nl#1's so I have that on the way.

Anyone suggestions on some other company's? I would like to try something closer to the nl#5 aswell if possible.

I went with Sensi Seeds NL#5, as it sounded about as close to the original as I could figure out with my lazy research efforts.  No idea how it compares to other breeders, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Sounds great SPH. I'm not well informed I asked online staff at attitude or Bonza and they advised me on the vision seeds nl, google searched and found a few positive reviews which made it easy. Other times I go to research and find conflicting opinions so It is hard to know what to make of it all... I'm glad your happy with your nl#5 that is what counts, I can't remember the story but didn't sensi end up alot of nevilles work? Makes sense to go with sensi. Would you mind describing yours for me a little bit please? Thanks

Unfortunately for me SPH from what I can tell sensi no longer serve the nl#5, only a haze cross with it. What they now offer is nl which is #1 #2 and #5 all together. Hope to give it try when I can afford sensi prices. I am not going to worry as much, there should be good plants throughout the search regardless of what I hope to find. For all I know the NL could have been from a pack of nirvana seeds, I have read plenty of people satisfied with many of the phenos from nirvana NL.

Still be nice to hear anyone's experience with a different breeders. Cheers

Sorry, it wasn't actually NL#5, it was plain old Northern Lights:

https://sensiseeds.com/en/cannabis-seeds/sensi-seeds/northern-lights

I wanted the original and it was as close as I could find, and yes, Neville was originally involved, and I think Nirvana have their own version which is supposedly pretty much the same thing, just can't remember the name off the top of my head. 

Price on the Sensi is insane though, I paid $187 for 10 reg beans, but once I collected pollen and did a light dust I had hundreds, so that's okay.  My understanding of the mix and back crossing was that they were trying to get something as close as the original as they could, but it could just be more marketing bollocks?

Order from a few different breeders and test them all out to find the one that you like best, one of those experiments with no downside :D

I think I did a smoke and grow report on it, I'll drop a link if I can find it later.  The one thing that sticks in my mind is that it didn't like going into flower in high temps, was a late summer grow indoors and they were slower than most of the other strains to transition, but turned out well in the end.

• Upvote 2

Turns out I didn't do a smoke report on it :doh: , so I'll try to do a basic one:

Didn't like indoor growing with high ambient temps, but went well in late flower when things cooled off.  A male I put outdoors flowered up and dropped pollen at a normal speed though.  Bulked up in the buds a bit later than normal for an Indica, looked a bit too leafy, but after trimming out the shade leaves the bud to leaf ratio was fine, and the bud density good.  Yielded well, 2 plants in a 8 plant grow under 1200w in a 1.2x2.4x2.0 tent dropped a pound between them, but they did end up bigger than the rest due to the slow transition into flower.  Roughly trimmed looked like this:

post-49871-0-74846200-1491175351_thumb.jpg

Bit of a sweet floral background, mixed in with a bit of earthy coffee and a slight vomit smell (sounds bad but smelled nice) when freshly dried, but ended up a little more subdued and earthy after a good cure.

Come on is not fast, but not a creeper either, with an initial rush which is nice and not overly intense, which settles into a nice, long lasting, body stone.  Come down is a bit sleepy, but not that super heavy feeling that some heavy Indica's can give.  This description is based on vaping the hash, which I had some of a couple of nights ago.

:peace:

• Upvote 3

Turns out I didn't do a smoke report on it :doh: , so I'll try to do a basic one:

Didn't like indoor growing with high ambient temps, but went well in late flower when things cooled off.  A male I put outdoors flowered up and dropped pollen at a normal speed though.  Bulked up in the buds a bit later than normal for an Indica, looked a bit too leafy, but after trimming out the shade leaves the bud to leaf ratio was fine, and the bud density good.  Yielded well, 2 plants in a 8 plant grow under 1200w in a 1.2x2.4x2.0 tent dropped a pound between them, but they did end up bigger than the rest due to the slow transition into flower.  Roughly trimmed looked like this:

attachicon.gifpost-49871-0-42972700-1467157816.jpg

Bit of a sweet floral background, mixed in with a bit of earthy coffee and a slight vomit smell (sounds bad but smelled nice) when freshly dried, but ended up a little more subdued and earthy after a good cure.

Come on is not fast, but not a creeper either, with an initial rush which is nice and not overly intense, which settles into a nice, long lasting, body stone.  Come down is a bit sleepy, but not that super heavy feeling that some heavy Indica's can give.  This description is based on vaping the hash, which I had some of a couple of nights ago.

:peace:

Thanks a lot SPH for both your posts, that was a really great description, more than I hoped for and impressive buds man.

In early-mid flower do you remember it smelling really fresh with lemon and pine, almost cleaning product type smell going on? Do you find the dried/cured smell is unique to northern lights?

Well when I do get the sensi nl and other breeders I would like to follow in your footsteps, if possible at the time and do some pollination. Great idea, especially considering I will always want to grow NL. Cheers