pre grow jitters..

Hey Sooty,

Listen to both Hashy and Ford ( and not just because they are moderators ) because they are two experienced growers. First off you can never have too much airflow, but not enough airflow and you'll have no end of troubles (I know cos initially I had minimal air flow). Don't forget that as well as intake/exhaust, you also need a circulation fan blowing thru the canopy. Just relying on your intake exhaust will leave pockets of uncirculated air, humid uncirculated air is fantastic for growing a crop of mould. Not what you want. By the fan blowing through the canopy it will stir the air within your grow space, it will also flex the stems. Stems are a bit like muscles, the more they flex the stronger they will become. You need strong stems to help hold up the weight of the developing buds, otherwise your buds will end up facing the floor.

Why a 3part nute mix? As a newbie I'd recommend the 'KISS' theory, keep it as simple as possible. Personally I use a 1part nute mix, that way there are less things for me to stuff up on, but I agree with Hashy get yourself an EC meter. You could buy a pH meter too but I use a single drop pH test liquid in a test tube, its accurate everytime, where from my experience the meters can stuff up without you knowing.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

hey Merlin, cheers for the advice [emoji106] yeah i have a few fans ready to go. whats the 1 part nute mix? and yeah i have ph test tube kit coming in the mail,

yep, also keen to see you get started Sooty. I'll advise taking your time to set it all up properly, and planning your grow as much as you can, but all the finer points are experience, so hook into it and be ready to make the fuckups we've all made lol

thank u sir, ive been researching for a while so hoping to be as prepared as possible... im gonna use bag seed for first run

I grow SCROG and that question is a bit like asking "How long is a piece of string?" lol Too many variables.

Once I've plucked the centre growth, making the stem divide into two growing stems, I leave it a further week in 18/6 light cycle to establish new growth, then my STEEL net goes up. It's heavy and holds all of the growing stems down and I push all the growth down under the net forcing the growth out like a starfish, with the plant in the middle. Once my netting is full of growth, I turn 12/12 and allow the growth to come up thru the netting. This upward growth splurt is where the buds will grow, so above the steel net I have 2 additional trailer nets, these nets are flexible allowing the buds movement, but strong to hold the buds upright.

So that's the basics of what I do, but those 'variables' I said about earlier affect every grow and if you're indoors, like me, there are all those environmental 'variables' ie airflow, air circulation, light intensity etc to consider.

pH, EC, nute temp and of course strain also all have an impact, so to be saying at week 3 the plant should be at 'X' stage is impossible.

Me, I grow (18/6) till me SCROG net is full. Sometimes that's week 4, sometimes week 5. Then I turn 12/12. Most commercial growers harvest at 8wks of 12/12. I leave mine to go through 3 brownings of the white stamins, then I flush for 4-5 days. Sometimes that's week 12, sometimes that's week 13 of 12/12. It all depends on the plant.

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

I grow SCROG and that question is a bit like asking "How long is a piece of string?" lol Too many variables.

Once I've plucked the centre growth, making the stem divide into two growing stems, I leave it a further week in 18/6 light cycle to establish new growth, then my STEEL net goes up. It's heavy and holds all of the growing stems down and I push all the growth down under the net forcing the growth out like a starfish, with the plant in the middle. Once my netting is full of growth, I turn 12/12 and allow the growth to come up thru the netting. This upward growth splurt is where the buds will grow, so above the steel net I have 2 additional trailer nets, these nets are flexible allowing the buds movement, but strong to hold the buds upright.

So that's the basics of what I do, but those 'variables' I said about earlier affect every grow and if you're indoors, like me, there are all those environmental 'variables' ie airflow, air circulation, light intensity etc to consider.

pH, EC, nute temp and of course strain also all have an impact, so to be saying at week 3 the plant should be at 'X' stage is impossible.

Me, I grow (18/6) till me SCROG net is full. Sometimes that's week 4, sometimes week 5. Then I turn 12/12. Most commercial growers harvest at 8wks of 12/12. I leave mine to go through 3 brownings of the white stamins, then I flush for 4-5 days. Sometimes that's week 12, sometimes that's week 13 of 12/12. It all depends on the plant.

Merl1n

thanks Merlin, much appreciated advice..

....so u only tip once?

Well, put it this way, I only tip once. But that's because of the way in which I train my growth, as I say 'out like a starfish'. So instead of it growing like a xmas tree shape ^ mine is inverted V-shape. Outdoor the sun naturally moves from east to west, so outdoor the whole plant gets 'equal' light at some point over the day, hence the xmas tree shape. But I'm indoor and I have equal light over the whole space all day, so for me it's better to have the xmas tree shape inverted. Now, tipping divides the growing tips so instead of one large growing tip per branch you have two smaller tips. Because I grow my plant 'out like a starfish' where each lateral stem comes of the branch I have a budding tip, if I tip each of these I have double the density and then end up with a problem with airflow and eventually mould. Not what I want and this is why I only tip once.

Merl1n