Help needed, root rot problem im sure! all info supplied in thread

Indoor/Outdoor: Indoor
Growing Medium: clay pebbles
Growing Style: semi dwc system/ebb and flow.
Watering/Feeding Frequency: 3 times in 24 hours for 15 minutes each feed.
Nutrient Strength (PPM/EC):  was running 1.7 ec, im now running a ec of 0.9
PH Levels: 5.5 to 6.0
Temperature/Humidity Levels: 17 to 38 Degrees, Humidity i do not currently have a meter for that!

Air Flow/Fans etc.: exhaust fan is a Centrifugal Fan/470m3/hr, 130 Ltrs/Sec | hooked up to a carbon filter, inline air fan is a Blauberg Centrifugal Fan 460m3/hr 2725 RPM
Lighting Type (CFL/HPS/MH etc.): 600W HPS and 2 x 315W LEC`s.
Total Wattage: 1230  
Growth Stage: 5th week of flowering
Plants Age: approx 2 months to 3 months old.
Cannabis Strain:  Girl Scout Cookies & Tutankhamon

Nutrients: Ozi Magic Monsta Bud for flowering, also using sweetaz.

Im def sure i have root rot, i first thought i had nute lockout but after reading more and checking the roots it looks as though i have root rot, (my roots are pretty brown) not white. My plants were starting to look a little off a few weeks ago, the leafs looked of colour and 1 plant out of 4 seems to be growing very slowly and the leafs on the slowest growing plant look the worst, btw the most affected plant was the biggest to start with, now its beginning to be the smallest with the smallest buds out of all 4 plants. Some leafs were curling up and down and the edges of the leafs were a little burnt, looked like nute burn.

Also on my Tutankhamon there was 2 white dots on top of my bud, they kinda looked like a seed but there were no male flowers. I decided to pluck them of, they look a little like a seed and the bud they came from seems to be alot smaller then all the others. Im not %100 sure but i think the 2 day straight rain water flush may have caused the stress for them to grow a few seeds? i done the big flush as thats when i thought i had nute lockout!

%95 of my flowers are looking nice but as i mentioned the Tutankhamon has 1 small issue and the other 2 GSC`s have only been slightly affected with a few bent leafs etc. i have not seen no new damage in the last few days on 3 out of 4 plants. So only 1 plant  looks totally affected with slow growth and older leafs looking weird all crumbled up kinda! compared to my other 3 plants the main affected plant looks like a shit to be honest.

Im putting my troubles down to not being able to keep my res temps at a acceptable level? res temp is going from 16 all the way up to 29  degree`s on the hot days.

also i think it might also have somthing todo with my PH, i set it at 5.9 of a night and by the morning its down to 5.5/5.4.

Im at a stand still im not sure what actions to take atm without further damaging my crop.

All the help i can get would be great thanks ;)

Edited by medicalgrower

If you're getting res temps up to 29, root rot is highly likely.  A larger res will fluctuate less with temps, but if exposed to a lot of higher temps it will still rise too high.  A water chiller is an expensive solution, or maybe some ice in the res on hot days, but temps should start dropping to better levels from now on with a bit of luck.  This is why I tend to do coco grows during warmer weather and leave the traditional hydro for the cooler months.

A brownish colour to the roots is not necessarily root rot, depending on how brown.  If they are slimy, have an outer coating which comes off when rubbed, and have a manky smell instead of that nice fresh root smell, then that is rot.   In my experience, PH keeps rising badly with root rot, not dropping.

To get through to the end, you can try Pythoff I think it's called (check for withholding period as I can't remember if it has one), or H&G Roots Excellurator can also be helpful sometimes.  Best of luck :peace:

Your main issue is ya rez temp it way tomuch all over the place.

Best temp for DWC is 21-22c to low will cauase very slow growth to warm and you will get the isssues u have now and it will play with the ph as well.

H2o2 can be used to clean the rez and get rid of the rot but it cant be used all the time as it kill all the good microbes, i would make up a freash rez with the h2o2 run it for a day or 2 then dump and refill with a new batch of nutes, that has worked for me in the past.

But before you do any of that u need to get ya rez at a stable temp or you will just be chasing your tail with the rot comming back...

• Upvote 1

If you're getting res temps up to 29, root rot is highly likely.  A larger res will fluctuate less with temps, but if exposed to a lot of higher temps it will still rise too high.  A water chiller is an expensive solution, or maybe some ice in the res on hot days, but temps should start dropping to better levels from now on with a bit of luck.  This is why I tend to do coco grows during warmer weather and leave the traditional hydro for the cooler months.

A brownish colour to the roots is not necessarily root rot, depending on how brown.  If they are slimy, have an outer coating which comes off when rubbed, and have a manky smell instead of that nice fresh root smell, then that is rot.   In my experience, PH keeps rising badly with root rot, not dropping.

To get through to the end, you can try Pythoff I think it's called (check for withholding period as I can't remember if it has one), or H&G Roots Excellurator can also be helpful sometimes.  Best of luck :peace:

okay thanks mate. iv tried the ice method and it works during the day but of a night time when my lights are on and i`m asleep the temp was rising beyond acceptable levels.

My roots are brown but do not have a slime coating that i can tell, and dont smell, i wil recheck them once more to confirm this however.

I have some general hydroponics rapid rooter handy and decided to use some of that would that help at all? im not keen on using this product as im sure it contains PGR`s yeah?

also does H&G Roots Excellurator contain harmful PGR`s etc?

im looking for somthing to use on the root rot that does not contain PGR`s and is safe to use forthe end user (myself)

Your main issue is ya rez temp it way tomuch all over the place.

Best temp for DWC is 21-22c to low will cauase very slow growth to warm and you will get the isssues u have now and it will play with the ph as well.

H2o2 can be used to clean the rez and get rid of the rot but it cant be used all the time as it kill all the good microbes, i would make up a freash rez with the h2o2 run it for a day or 2 then dump and refill with a new batch of nutes, that has worked for me in the past.

But before you do any of that u need to get ya rez at a stable temp or you will just be chasing your tail with the rot comming back...

okay cheers will look into the H2o2, yeah i thought my res temps were the issue. thanks

Root rot is a bitch. Good luck taming that beast. Find a permanent solution to res temp or it'll never cease. I use stuff called Z7 which keeps my res as clean and clear as possible, even if temps are slightly high. Hydroguard is another product similar and cheaper.

I'd say Hydrogen peroxide all in there and clean your gear immaculate, then add either of those 2 products or similar, fix the temps and should be clear sailing.

Root rot is a bitch. Good luck taming that beast. Find a permanent solution to res temp or it'll never cease. I use stuff called Z7 which keeps my res as clean and clear as possible, even if temps are slightly high. Hydroguard is another product similar and cheaper.

I'd say Hydrogen peroxide all in there and clean your gear immaculate, then add either of those 2 products or similar, fix the temps and should be clear sailing.

tell me about it, im hating it.  okay will check out all them products! cheers.

Your res isn't in the grow room is it?  Best kept outside to reduce heat energy going into it.  Also important not to have any light getting access to your solution through white or clear tubs or tubing etc.

As far as I know there are no PGR's in Roots Excel.  The H2O2 idea is a great one as well.

Nope my res is outside of my growroom to reduce the heat! still was having issues up entill yesterday when it got alot cooler outside.

also i do have a lid for my res ill start using it all the time to stop any light from getting inside.

Good point hashy re light and the rez...

true!

Edited by medicalgrower