Seedling dying?

Thanks again for all the advice guys, will keep you all updated if it lives or dies :)

hydro i forgot to ask, did u flush the coco with fresh PH adjusted water? the seedling doesn't need food or silica at this time

This one is under a fluro not my LED, will chuck under LED when that one finishes. I did give the coco a flush with pH'd RO water first.

Gently remove the coco from the roots and inspect them for damage and/or rot.  Make up a fresh batch of coco with the same weak nute solution, give each handful a good squeeze to get rid of excess moisture as you repot it, and hope for the best. 

If you've got root rot, you can try pyth off, or roots excelurator etc, but in reality the chances of saving it with no real living leaves is pretty slim.  Better to bin it and crack a fresh one.  Also check the stem where you buried it deeper, if it's gone a bit thin spongy and weak, it's got damping off, and also probably a goner.

Could be a simple case of being bogged down from a feed followed by a neem drenching, of maybe the neem was too much?  Big problem you've got is recovery from damage at that size is difficult to put it mildly

Theory is that seedlings don't need nutrients, but in reality a weak solution is best.  In nature they don't sprout into an inert environment, so why do it in a hydroponic medium?  I always start seedlings off in coco with an EC around 0.6-0.8, and it has never damaged anything, so long as you don't burn them they are very happy eating something besides the stores in their cotyledons.

Thanks Hashy, might try that if it doesn't come good in the next few days, or might just drop another seed.

its a seedling. who cares, start another one.

Good point, I have about 30 more seeds but this is my first seedbank seed so would be a shame to let it die! :)

What brand coco you using?

Bunnings coco brick and bunnings perlite, I've heard a lot of crap about it but it's what I already had. Next time will get some canna coco or something from hydro shop.

• Upvote 1

Bunnings coco brick and bunnings perlite, I've heard a lot of crap about it but it's what I already had. Next time will get some canna coco or something from hydro shop.

That is why it has gone yellow mate just flush around 6-8 litres of fresh PH adjusted water thru the pot with the seedling in it and it will recover, Bunnings coco a lot of people talk it down but look at all my grows from past and present all I use is Bunnings coco :)

I decide to open up the rocket pot and have a look at it today as it was not getting any better, the leaves were completely yellow/white and the cotyledons started going yellow too. I think the roots look fairly healthy but I don't think I flushed the coco enough before I used it, and I also noticed a bit of a kink in the stem which it just flopped over at once unpotted completely. Decided it's a lost cause and I should just get over it, was a freebie seed anyway, so it's in the bin now.

post-60242-0-38484600-1491029338_thumb.jpg

Cracked a new seed today to replace it, TH Seeds M.O.B (mother of berries), and have given the coco a good flush with about 2L of water and will let it dry out a bit under the light so I can plant the new seed in there when it pops. Thanks for all the advice, let's hope the next one survives to the veg phase haha!

Edited by hydrochronic
  • Upvote 1

Ok this is the coco I have been using.

http://www.brunnings.com.au/coir-power-peat-brick-2190.html

I been flushing a small pot of it all day, with pH 5.8 RO water, the ppm of the run off is fine it's quite low now, but the pH of the run off is all over the place, even with pH 4.8 RO water going in, still get run off over pH 7. Have had all sorts of nute issues with my current grow too so not sure if it's just me...

Thinking of binning it and getting some canna coco. What do you guys think?

I'm going back to small 100mm pots from Bunnings too as the coco runs straight out of the small rocket pots and leaves too much perlite at the top.

Edited by hydrochronic

Ok this is the coco I have been using.

http://www.brunnings.com.au/coir-power-peat-brick-2190.html

I been flushing a small pot of it all day, with pH 5.8 RO water, the ppm of the run off is fine it's quite low now, but the pH of the run off is all over the place, even with pH 4.8 RO water going in, still get run off over pH 7. Have had all sorts of nute issues with my current grow too so not sure if it's just me...

Thinking of binning it and getting some canna coco. What do you guys think?

I'm going back to small 100mm pots from Bunnings too as the coco runs straight out of the small rocket pots and leaves too much perlite at the top.

I flush mine strait from the tap PH7-7.8 than run one bucket thru it at the end at PH5.8 I use the same coco have for years never a problem